Napping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Eddi

Napping

Post by Eddi » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 am

Today I napped for the first time since I have been on treatment. When I got up I didn't feel so hot but thought once I'd had my drugs, had my caffeine, I'd feel okay. I didn't. I went back to bed for another 90 minutes by 3pm.

I was wondering if this could be the cause of a lot of tiredness this last 10 or so days. Wednesday before NYD I fell, again(!) and thought everything was fine until the following day when my right knee started to hurt. It grew very intense and very large so NYD I spent in hospital until the following day as they needed to make sure my heart was okay, no clots etc. It was so sent home in an ambo the following day. Thank goodness I am married or I'd still be there as they wouldn't allow me home without a carer.

To the point: have been in a great deal of pain which thankfully has lessened somewhat now. I was wondering if this added stress would account for the tiredness? My AHI last night was 0.88 but the night before it was 12! I had not eaten much that day as I just didn't want to. (There is strong connection between food and SA.)

Anyway, it would seem to me the extra stress of the pain, not being able to move on my own, not being able to go out or drive, is why I am so tired and why I needed the nap today.

Any input gratefully received.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Napping

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:22 am

I find that taking a nap shortens recovery time from illness.
---But only when the nap is taken while using cpap.

Eddi

Post by Eddi » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:42 pm

I never sleep without the mask. I think it has been my leg making me so tired.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:03 pm

Eddi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 am
Anyway, it would seem to me the extra stress of the pain, not being able to move on my own, not being able to go out or drive, is why I am so tired and why I needed the nap today.
Wouldn't surprise me at all that your leg pain is responsible for simply poor sleep quality during the night so you just aren't well rested and feel the need for a nap.

I wouldn't worry much about the AHI or need for a nap until you get yourself back to normal and the leg pain has gone away.

I deal with something similar myself except my pain issues are in my back and pelvis. When I have a night with considerable back pain I don't sleep well and pretty much can plan on needing a little nap.

Give the leg/knee time to heal up and things should go back to normal. If it doesn't we can worry about it later.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Eddi

Post by Eddi » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:59 am

Thank you Pugsy. As I had finished writing I had realized for myself that the was the pain causing it. I too have spinal spondylosis and hip pain but have learned to go back to side sleeping with a firm pillow between my legs and that has helped enormously. It hurt a lot for the first few weeks but I persevered.

Much to my surprise I slept 10hrs last night with nearly 4 in deep sleep, and AHI of 0.10. I feel my usual self now that I am up.

I very much like this new machine. It's German quality and Lowenstein make all sorts of medical equipment. It is also cheaper than most. `perhap it will find it's way to the USA.