Resmed expensive in Australia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozze_dollar

Resmed expensive in Australia

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 pm

I tried to place an order for some facemasks from CPAP.com in the US today. They refused to accept my order because Resmed wont let them sell outside the US. We pay 3 times more for our gear here. They did offer to supply any other brand just not Resmed.

Well any suggestions. Who makes a good nasal facemask other than Resmed. I presume all hoses are standard.Medium is medium for all the brands?

soundersfootballclub

Re: Resmed expensive in Australia

Post by soundersfootballclub » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Isn't Resmed an Australian company?

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:08 pm

I like my ComfortGel Blue.

I don't think "medium is medium" for different brands. There are some sizing guides available online. https://www.cpap.com/pdf/comfortgel_gauge.pdf is one for the ComfortGel.

Be sure to READ the instructions. Be sure that the 1 inch square is the right size after you print it.

By the way, you may have more luck buying ResMed parts on ebay. No full masks, but parts may be available. You might even be able to buy all the individual parts that make up a complete mask.

Yes, ResMed is Australian. Ain't business funny?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Most of the masks that I have ever liked are the ResMed masks. One major exception was a nasal mask called Somnotech. I think they are now made by Devilbis and called the Easy Fit (I could be wrong about that) I thought it was a great mask, very lightweight and comfortable and kept a good seal.

I no longer use a nasal mask, but if they still make the Somnotech like they used to, it might be a good alternative for you.

Vader

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:22 am

soundersfootballclub wrote:Isn't Resmed an Australian company?
Yes the whole thing is a disgrace. The manufacturing plant is only a few Kms away and they have the nerve to charge such prices.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 am

Three times more in Australia for Australian-made masks? You need a revolution! Seriously, if it's taxes, something is wrong; these are medical necessities, not luxuries.

You should be able to find U.S. dealers who will sell you Resmed masks, at least on the grey market. Aside from Google, if you run a States-wide search using allofcraigs.com, you will find people selling sealed Resmed masks on Craigslist.

Respironics' line of nasal masks is fully comparable to that of Resmed's, I think. You can get a good idea of how successful each mask is by the user ratings on sites such as Cpap.com.

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:58 am

ozze_dollar wrote:I tried to place an order for some facemasks from CPAP.com in the US today. They refused to accept my order because Resmed wont let them sell outside the US. We pay 3 times more for our gear here. They did offer to supply any other brand just not Resmed.

Well any suggestions. Who makes a good nasal facemask other than Resmed. I presume all hoses are standard.Medium is medium for all the brands?
Hi, Ozzie!

I would like to suggest that you look into some sort of US based mail forwarding company through which to do your shopping.... this type of service (parcel holding/forwarding) is popular here in North America, given the often HUGE price differentials between the USA and the countries just outside of her borders. I will be using a mail collection service in northern Washington state (there are several within a 30 min drive of my home) when I want to order stuff through our hosts, seeing as I live 25km outside of the boundaries of the Canada/United States border and exclusively use ResMed equipment.

Anyway, this place is located in Florida and will forward parcels (for a fee) to ANYWHERE in the free world. When I lived in the Cayman Islands (Caribbean) back in '05, lots of people on my island ordered stuff in the USA and used MyUS.com as their US address and the company forwarded the purchases on to Grand Cayman... that way, they cut down on the extortion like shipping fees that the US merchants were charging to ship to a teeny tiny island that is located 45 minutes by plane south of Havana, Cuba. Click here for a list of their fees to Australia. They even have something called Personal Shopper service (with surcharges of up to 10%, depending on your membership type) that you can use if your US based merchant won't accept your non-US based credit card.... even with the surcharges, you'll likely be saving a bundle on your equipment if you order through them.

I hope that this will be a viable option for you!

glenj

Post by glenj » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 am

Looking at it another way.....I have heard that the US government highly subsidises XPAP due to it being such a debilitating condition for a vast number of people. NOT that it is any less debilitating for us other countries it is just that the government does nothing for us here(OSA specifically here this time).

I paid $2200.00AUD for my setup ALL out of pocket, private health provided zilch. I have been told that other countries that pay similar high prices.

Like a lot of situations, people get the bull by the horns and who actually knows the whole story.

So Resmed may not be as big and bad as they may seem (NOT saying they are saints/angels in all this).

You listening to this Resmed....surely that has to be worth a free mask for me.....Swift FX preferably!!!! (ha ha)

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:17 am

ozze_dollar wrote:
soundersfootballclub wrote:Isn't Resmed an Australian company?
Yes the whole thing is a disgrace. The manufacturing plant is only a few Kms away and they have the nerve to charge such prices.
Get real

What is the US market vs the Aust market !!!

You clearly have *never* had to run an international business -! - while you are whinging check the price of Resmed Cpaps in Aust vs US prices & if you feel aggrieved then write to Resmed - you know where Bella Vista is !!!
(I recently checked the prices of an Aust S9 ASV machine from local sources vs one from the US & I felt sorry for our US friends !. In fact I shut up about it because I didn't want to here them complaining about how we were better off !!! )

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 am

Here's a couple of local ebay sellers that can sort you out with Resmed masks:
http://shop.ebay.com.au/3020surplus/m.h ... 513&_pgn=3
http://shop.ebay.com.au/duchenko2011/m. ... m=&_ipg=25
I haven't used them yet however they come highly recommended on another board.

carosan

Post by carosan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:07 am

Hi ozze_dollar,

I also live in Australia & hear what you are saying! I can personally vouch for the following seller on ebay.(the one lullaby mentioned) Just bought a new mask from him...1/2 the normal retail price, speedy delivery & very helpful

http://shop.ebay.com.au/3020surplus/m.h ... 513&_pgn=3

Good luck

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 am

Have you tried an Australian e-tailer? Bricks and mortar DMEs here in the States often overcharge too. Here's a current thread from someone who went to her local DME for a good CPAP machine, and came home with a brick and a prosthetic arm and leg.
viewtopic/t67170/upgrade-to-what-machine.html

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 pm

I would say shoot their CEO's, that's the thing to do when you are being robbed, but you have already let them have all your guns. (A wise move for any GOV that wants to control it's population) U.S. look out, You are becoming dumb enough to be taken too. (Remember your last election) Due to their business plan, I won't buy their products here in the U.S. even at the overly high prices they want here. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Goofproof wrote:I would say shoot their CEO's, that's the thing to do when you are being robbed, but you have already let them have all your guns. (A wise move for any GOV that wants to control it's population) U.S. look out, You are becoming dumb enough to be taken too. (Remember your last election) Due to their business plan, I won't buy their products here in the U.S. even at the overly high prices they want here. Jim
It's probably Australian taxes and not just Resmed pricing. Looking at http://cpapshop.com.au/, which appears to be an Australian discount online retailer, all brands of masks are quite costly. Does anyone know? Of course, there is no excuse for exhorbitant taxes on an essential piece of home medical equipment--people forced to buy these things should be given a subsidy, if anything.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

moresleep wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I would say shoot their CEO's, that's the thing to do when you are being robbed, but you have already let them have all your guns. (A wise move for any GOV that wants to control it's population) U.S. look out, You are becoming dumb enough to be taken too. (Remember your last election) Due to their business plan, I won't buy their products here in the U.S. even at the overly high prices they want here. Jim
It's probably Australian taxes and not just Resmed pricing. Looking at http://cpapshop.com.au/, which appears to be an Australian discount online retailer, all brands of masks are quite costly. Does anyone know? Of course, there is no excuse for exhorbitant taxes on an essential piece of home medical equipment--people forced to buy these things should be given a subsidy, if anything.
Actually, you can import medical equipment tax (gst) free into Australia. Have done so myself with customs approval back when it was a lot cheaper to import from USA than buy here but right at the moment I can buy an S9 ASV cheaper here than I could get one over from the US.

I know we all like to grumble about pricing policies but as long as we are honest in knowing it. When I looked at buying a Wienmann ASV cpap the price was going to be twice what I coud get one in Aust for. So that went by the board. I guess I could write to Angela Merkel & call their country pricing typical 'nasti' party policy

Anyone in Oz who wants 2nd hand gear can go to snoring.com.au or gumtree - both have a few machines at the moment (but the sellers too often have their heads in the clouds re what they want for them).

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)