i'M dREAMMMMMMMING

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
whatrdreamsmadeof

i'M dREAMMMMMMMING

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:33 pm

mY NEW REMSTAR AUTO W/CFLEX ARRIVED AND NITE 3 AND i HAD A DREAM.......WOW, THIS MACHINE IS SO QUIET,,,,,,i HAVE TO CHECK MY MASK EXHAUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S ON....WARM AIR......C/FLEX.....THIS IS WONDERFUL......tHANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR GREAT HELP AND ADVICE.....eLLEN

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:36 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that if you can recall your dreams, then you are not in full REM sleep.

GoofyUT

Congrats!!!

Post by GoofyUT » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:54 pm

WAY TO GO, ELLEN!!!

Congrats!!!

Chuck
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:09 pm

It's so great to hear that your perseverence is begining to pay off Ellen. Happy dreams!

DBinAZ wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that if you can recall your dreams, then you are not in full REM sleep.
I think it is the other way around ... If one achieves REM sleep they will have dreams to recall.

- r
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 pm

DBinAZ wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that if you can recall your dreams, then you are not in full REM sleep.
your guess is as good as mine and everyone elses because I don't think they really know.

it is thought you only dream during REM, if that is so, then if you wake up during REM or during a dream you are more likely to recall it. If you wake up in deep sleep, you may not recall it.

Now for you to remember that dream in long term memory, you have to repeat it or talk about it like at breakfast, work etc., but by the time you reach dinner it may be forgotten. So the act of repeating the contents of the dream is what helps you remember it.

Of course I haven't had a dream in so long I forgot what they were like.

Snoredog

Re: i'M dREAMMMMMMMING

Post by Snoredog » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:26 pm

[quote="whatrdreamsmadeof"]mY NEW REMSTAR AUTO W/CFLEX ARRIVED AND NITE 3 AND i HAD A DREAM.......WOW, THIS MACHINE IS SO QUIET,,,,,,i HAVE TO CHECK MY MASK EXHAUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S ON....WARM AIR......C/FLEX.....THIS IS WONDERFUL......tHANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR GREAT HELP AND ADVICE.....eLLEN

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:28 pm

see that's thing, i have had plenty, some life-like and i tend to remember them all, even a few a night. My my event # was just over 100/h, so i am definetly not getting rem sleep, but i do get dreams, or nightmares.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:40 pm

DBinAZ wrote:see that's thing, i have had plenty, some life-like and i tend to remember them all, even a few a night. My my event # was just over 100/h, so i am definetly not getting rem sleep, but i do get dreams, or nightmares.
if you are experiencing dreams and nightmares you are making it to REM.

there is nothing wrong with not remembering your dreams, I can only recall brief experts of them never the full dream.

what is your AHI with treatment? With reports like from EncorePro you can actually see where you are in REM, you will have more events during those periods.

The avg. person has a sleep cycle like every 90 minutes so you can go through several of those during a night's sleep, so most of your dreams the one before the last dream you never know you had.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm

when i went for the sleep study, i had no rem sleep at all.

I just started this saturday, and just exchanged my machine for this new one with the card, i don't have the reader or software yet either. on order.

I also can't seem to access my leaks or AHI screen on the machine, so I don't know what it is currently.

Sleepy-eyes

Re: i'M dREAMMMMMMMING

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 pm

whatrdreamsmadeof wrote:mY NEW REMSTAR AUTO W/CFLEX ARRIVED AND NITE 3 AND i HAD A DREAM.......WOW, THIS MACHINE IS SO QUIET,,,,,,i HAVE TO CHECK MY MASK EXHAUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S ON....WARM AIR......C/FLEX.....THIS IS WONDERFUL......tHANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR GREAT HELP AND ADVICE.....eLLEN
I'm new to all of this hosehead stuff. One of the things I complained about the most to my healthcare provider after my first three nights was how LOUD my REMstar Pro2 was! I have a tall bedframe, so I finally stuck the darned thing under the bed................it's the only way I can tolerate the noise. I spent the first three nights listening to myself breath!!!!!!!!! I wonder if the Auto is that much quieter or if we both just have different noise tolerance levels?

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:51 am

DBinAZ wrote:when i went for the sleep study, i had no rem sleep at all.
As SD stated, if you are having dreams/nightmares … then by definition you have achieved REM sleep. Your sleep study is unique to that specific night and there are many factors that can influence REM sleep. Consequently, I would suspect that being all wired up in a strange bed, hosed up to a strange pressurized mask, with strangers spying on you with a video camera and titrating pressure of the xPAP machine would not be conducive to a whole lot of REM sleep. Nevertheless, we are all a bit different and respond differently to both having REM sleep and recalling our dream experiences.

As a kid and also a young adult, I clearly remember having lots of dreams and can even remember a few of them to this day. As I got older and my mounting apnea condition began to negatively impact my sleep (unknowingly to me at the time), my frequency of dreams began to fade away to almost nil as of a few years ago. Since beginning my PAP treatment in August 2006, I have had dreams every night just like when I was a kid. As SD also stated, a few hours after waking I often no longer recall all of the dream details … but I do recall having the dream(s) as well as the approximate number of them (which may well be tied to my brief waking during the specific dreams).

In any case, having dreams is a good indication that the PAP treatment is effectively treating your OSA (although dreams are not the only indication). Not only that, for me, my dreams are very enjoyable ... sometimes weird, sometimes fun, and sometimes even enlightening.

BTW – my sleep doc told me that dreaming is analogous to defragging your hard drive … your brain rearranges information around for more efficient processing.

- r

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:07 am

REM sleep, Rapid Eye Movement sleep is defined by the kind of EEG waves seen on the monitor, and by Rapid Eye Movements. REM sleep has a physiological definition - other mamals have it as well as human beings.

Not all dreams occur in REM sleep.

People who are waked up from REM sleep will more often report dreams than those waked up from other stages of sleep.
BBC Science wrote:REM sleep

The first rapid eye movement (REM) period usually begins about 70 to 90 minutes after we fall asleep. We have around three to five REM episodes a night.

Although we are not conscious, the brain is very active - often more so than when we are awake. This is the period when most dreams occur. Our eyes dart around (hence the name), our breathing rate and blood pressure rise. However, our bodies are effectively paralysed, said to be nature's way of preventing us from acting out our dreams.

After REM sleep, the whole cycle begins again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/ ... leep.shtml

Note the word "most".

O.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:21 am

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link O.

In either case, dreams ... which indicate either or both REM and stage 4 sleep does the body/mind sytem good.

- r

Miss Sandman

Delta even deeper?

Post by Miss Sandman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:41 pm

I was searching tonight for comments about the deepness of our sleep. I am getting to REM quite well, and sort of remembering (so I know I got there and came out...)

I have trouble in the early AM getting back to sleep after "my bathroom break". I bought a CD called Delta Sleep System and by night 2 I was getting 8+ hours; getting back to sleep and staying asleep longer by night 4. Anyone else try this method to stay asleep longer? I just turned it on when I was going to bed, and turned it on about 4AM again. It says it's ambient sound frequencies, It also helped the 1st night falling asleep...it was very soothing and rhythm like.
"To sleep, perhaps to dream......"

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Ellen!! So glad to hear that you're enjoying your new machine. Hope you have many nights of good sleep with it!

LINKS to dreaming - dreams - REM rebound
viewtopic.php?t=3524
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435