Doctor Closing his doors for good.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sheriff Buford

Re: Doctor Closing his doors for good.

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:53 am

As Pugsy stated, I use my Primary Care Physician. I have never used a sleep doctor. I educated myself here and it is good enough as I am an "average" cpap user. If I had issues that were delicate or extreme, then I wouldn't hesitate to see a sleep doctor or specialty doctor. It's your call.

Sheriff

CPAPforever

Post by CPAPforever » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:05 am

I had a scheduled annual visit for last month and received a letter that "all appointments had been cancelled" and "please call the arrange new appointment." Every time I called, it went to voice mail where I left name and phone number to reschedule appointment. After 4 voicemails and no call back, I walked into my doc's sleep center to get copies of my records so I could go to new sleep doc. They had handwritten paper signs up on the glass receptionist window "Please be patient with us. We are short-staffed due to downsizing". I told receptionist I was unable to schedule a new appointment as nobody ever called me back. She said they were really backlogged. I decided to find new sleep doc.

I got appointment with new sleep doc within a month. After I saw him last week, I told him why I was leaving previous sleep doc. It was my thought that they were clearing out all Medicare patients by cancelling our appointments. On the contrary he said. Most insurance companies are not covering formal "in lab" sleep studies anymore. Only Home Based Studies are covered. This may be why sleep centers are shutting doors or downsizing. Won't affect DMEs where patients get their machines and supplies.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 pm

I just lost my PCP. No explanation of any kind. I thought I was going to have to drive 45 miles to find a new one but one doctor finally agreed to take new patients but I haven't seen him yet. I just hope I like him.

SirGaspAlot

Post by SirGaspAlot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am

This doctor was the same one who examined my heart, hes a really good Dr. Its a win/win for me because not only can he monitor everything but keep an eye on my heart too. This is the office I visited when I was having breathing problems and heart racing going on. Plus hes a lot closer and very hands on with everything. The last guy was ok, but I cant afford to take days off for every hiccup on the machine.

"If you always do what youve always done then youll always get what you always got"

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am

Have you been able to locate the doctor in question?

He might have joined (or started) another practice not far away.

SirGaspAlot

Post by SirGaspAlot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm

I dont think he merged, hes been having serious health issues. But then who knows. The email I got said they sold in June and decided to shut it down.

"If you always do what youve always done then youll always get what you always got"