Earache with new mask style

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
katwalk

Earache with new mask style

Post by katwalk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:17 pm

Several months ago I changed my CPAP mask style to the Swift FX for Her along with the associated nose pads. Previously I used the Airfit N30i nasal cushion and frame. The Swift FX really works much better for me in many ways, except I believe I am getting a heavier air flow with these Swift nose pads. And now I have had 2-3 earaches, around 4 AM, in my left ear only. I feel pressure and aching and the kind of pain I used to have as a child when I had earaches all the time. But after having my tonsils removed during my childhood, that took care of those horrible earaches until this recent change. At least this is what I think it could be related to.

Have any of you experienced this before and do you believe it could be related to the newer type of CPAP with the nose pads? I do have an appt. with my pulmonologist/sleep dr. next week and hoping they can diagnose and make any necessary adjustments to my current settings.
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” —Dalai Lama

lazarus

Re: Earache with new mask style

Post by lazarus » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:49 pm

Some masks put pressure in just the wrong spots for some people, and that pain can mimic the feeling of an ear infection. Loosening the mask may help.

I agree with Pugsy's take on CPAP and ear pain from actual ear infections, as she expressed at this link:

viewtopic/t100385/Using-cpap-with-ear-i ... ml#p935220

Note her mention of seeing an ENT.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

katwalk

Post by katwalk » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:06 am

Thank you Lazarus. I actually did visit my ENT several days ago for this ear issue and he confirmed there is no ear infection. But I go back to him in several weeks for an audiogram which should give them a more in-depth view of other possible issues. I personally feel my CPAP pressure settings are probably too high for whatever is going on with my ears right now. And I have been skipping my CPAP off and on just to avoid this earache. It can sometimes be a slow and expensive process to gather all the information, but it is necessary when dealing with pain. Thanks again!
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” —Dalai Lama

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:32 am

Do you still have the old mask to see if using it for a while prevents the ear pain? Just a thought. It might help determine whether strap placement on the new mask is somehow part of the issue.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

katwalk

Post by katwalk » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:36 am

Yes, I do and that is a good suggestion. I may not have the nasal cradle which goes with it though. Thanks for the idea!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:49 am

If you do determine that it might be headgear pressure causing the pain and yet you really like the Swift FX otherwise you might take a look at the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask because the pillows themselves are pretty much like the Swift FX pillows in terms of how they feel and fit but the headgear for the P10 is more minimal and it doesn't fit the face like the Swift FX headgear.
The P10 is also essentially silent in terms of venting air noise...for sure more quiet that the Swift FX.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

katwalk

Post by katwalk » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:29 pm

Pugsy, thank you for this information. I will check it out.

katwalk

Post by katwalk » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:49 am
If you do determine that it might be headgear pressure causing the pain and yet you really like the Swift FX otherwise you might take a look at the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask because the pillows themselves are pretty much like the Swift FX pillows in terms of how they feel and fit but the headgear for the P10 is more minimal and it doesn't fit the face like the Swift FX headgear.
The P10 is also essentially silent in terms of venting air noise...for sure more quiet that the Swift FX.
Pugsy, I am still working with ENT dr. to figure out my ear pain and some vertigo, but now I need advice concerning the amount of air that blows from my Swift FX cpap. I know this sounds crazy, but my eyes are watery and itchy and more dry than ever before. I believe it is because of all the air blowing out around the top of the hose. Can you tell me if this is also an issue with the ResMed AirFit P10? I am going to ask my DME to allow me to give this AirFit P10 a test run if you think it might help. Thanks for any advise you can share.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:59 pm

There shouldn't be any air blowing out the top of the Swift FX mask unless there is either a leak or the nasal pillows are becoming dislodged. What you are describing isn't normally the way that mask works.

BUT the P10 has the vent holes at the bottom of the mask so it can't blow upwards towards the eyes....but again if the nasal pillows themselves are moving around and the seal gets broken then air can blow out it multiple directions.

I used the Swift FX before the P10 came out and I never had air blow into my eyes with either mask.

Now the venting system on the Swift FX is more forceful and if your arm or bed covers gets too close to those vent holes the vented air could very well be bouncing back and upwards towards your eyes. Less chance of that happening with the P10 because the vented air is much less forceful.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

katwalk

Post by katwalk » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:14 pm

Thanks Pugsy! I'm sure it is because this is the time of season that I usually pull the cover over the vents. In turn, this is probably doing exactly what you mentioned. The air is flowing to my face and eyes and possibly my ears. I will definitely try the AirFit P10. I am so close to finding my almost perfect mask and I can't give up.