Interesting issue with CPAP and a battery bank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reader2580

Interesting issue with CPAP and a battery bank

Post by reader2580 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:07 pm

I have a Dreamstation 1 that can be powered directly by 12 volt DC. I bought the Philips cigarette lighter adapter to power the Dreamstation from an Anker 521 battery. I have been testing the battery with the CPAP to make sure it works for an upcoming trip with no power in a tent, but the ability to recharge every day.

Anyhow, the first night the battery stopped producing power twice. I called Anker and asked them about it. They said the CPAP isn't using enough power so the battery is shutting off power. The recommendation is to turn on the heater to use more power. I turned the heater to three and the CPAP stayed running all night, but I only used it 6.5 hours and the battery was at 5%. I am going to try putting the heat on 1 this time to see if it makes it all night. I know the recommendation on battery is no heat on battery, but no heat means the battery shuts down.

calusa

Re: Interesting issue with CPAP and a battery bank

Post by calusa » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm

I've had similar problems with other battery packs. Some are designed to shut down when very little power is being drawn -- to preserve the life of the battery. But if it shuts down when powering your CPAP, then that particular battery is NOT FOR YOU!

There are other battery packs don't have this "feature," but it can be hard to know which ones. My strategy is to read the reviews on Amazon.com; often some other user will comment on this feature, or absence of feature. It's a big deal to lots of people, not just CPAP users.

Telling you to turn on the humidifier to fix the problem, well that's terrible advice. As you have discovered, humidifiers take way too much power from a small battery.

You need a different battery, one that will not shut itself down when running your CPAP.

SleepGeek

Re: Interesting issue with CPAP and a battery bank

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm

reader2580 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:07 pm
n Anker 521 battery. I have been testing the battery with the CPAP to make sure it works for an upcoming trip with no power in a tent, but the ability to recharge every day.

the first night the battery stopped producing power twice.
Wise move to test it out BEFORE leaving.

First, make sure the battery is fully charged. Then try it with the humidifier OFF.
You have no idea how long it sat unused before getting to you.
calusa wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm
Telling you to turn on the humidifier to fix the problem, well that's terrible advice. As you have discovered, humidifiers take way too much power from a small battery.

You need a different battery, one that will not shut itself down when running your CPAP.
I couldn't agree more.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?