Worked great - until it didn't

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Re: Worked great - until it didn't

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:31 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:41 am
OSCAR does not charge for use, nor does it solicit account/Credit Card information.

The OP is carelessly clicking on links, and not paying attention to where he is going.
would you kindly explain why i don't see that furshlugginer ad when i repeat those steps?

btw, didn't realize that mac needed separate install instructions. interesting.
Because adsense doesn't display the same ad every time, nor does it show the same ad to different people. Operating System, browsing, past search, all influence which ads win the auction and are displayed.

When I go through the process on my PC, I get different ads then on mobile.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:35 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm
eta: pugsy if you feel we are well off topic, feel free to kill my post and i'll start a new thread.
Well....while I don't think that this being a bit off topic is a critical thing I do think that maybe a separate topic devoted to the problems with ads and click bait might do well as a separate topic.
Mainly because now we have had 2 people who had this problem come about in just a couple of days.

Just so we can warn people to be on the look out for those ads and there's a lot of people who don't know about those ads for "click here to finish your download or install" sneaky ads.

If it ends up being a new and major problem going to any place on the apneaboard we can include a link to the thread when we send people over there and I can make it a sticky for ease in finding the topic.

And people need to understand that OSCAR is stored over on the apneaboard web servers so it is just as at risk as the regular apneaboard website. While the sleepfiles.com thing is called something different...it is still on the apneaboard storage and apparently not immune to the click bait ads.

Side note...anyone here seeing this and is also active on the apneaboard....can you send SuperSleeper a note about the ads on the OSCAR download part of their website???
Just point him to this thread.... I bet he isn't aware that the OSCAR download section has also been compromised.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pm

CrankyGranny wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:48 am
This was the first link posted in this thread:

SleepGunk wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 pm
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
How helpful is she?
Does she get any sleep?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:43 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pm
CrankyGranny wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:48 am
This was the first link posted in this thread:

SleepGunk wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 pm
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
How helpful is she?
Does she get any sleep?
This is off topic and just a snide ass remark meant to get a dig in at CG.
Please don't do this sort of thing again.
Start a new topic if you just have to spout BS like this.

I will remove further such posts because all you are doing is trying to stir up crap.
And if you keep putting them back after I remove them....well... I guess I will just have to keep removing them.

Repeated infractions is grounds for banning and I have done it before and not afraid to do it again.

Consider yourself warned.
And don't bother to respond to this warning....I will remove it as soon as I see it.

BTW folks....don't assume that because you don't see me warning anyone else that I haven't done that.
All it means is I did it privately but SG is "special"... :roll:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:35 pm
Just so we can warn people to be on the look out for those ads and there's a lot of people who don't know about those ads for "click here to finish your download or install" sneaky ads.
ApneaBoard users should use an adblocker.

I use AdBlock Plus works great on ApneaBoard.
Pugsy wrote:
If it ends up being a new and major problem going to any place on the apneaboard
It's not a new problem, it's been going on for a while. Whenever people report that OSCAR is asking for CreditCard info, responders there, just assume they have downloaded OSCAR from a non-trusted site. They never investigate, nor do they consider it's their own ads that are the cause.
Pugsy wrote:
...apneaboard we can include a link to the thread
You can't link to a topic on cpaptalk from apneaboard, but you can link to a topic on apneaboard from cpaptalk.

supersleeper won't allow links to cpaptalk.com, or even mention of us. cpaptalk is in their word filter and any post will be blocked for simply mentioning it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:17 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:00 pm
You can't link to a topic on cpaptalk from apneaboard, but you can link to a topic on apneaboard from cpaptalk.

supersleeper won't allow links to cpaptalk.com, or even mention of us. cpaptalk is in their word filter and any post will be blocked for simply mentioning it.
Yeah, I forgot that little detail. It's one of the reasons I don't bother to participate over there. It annoys the hell out of me.
I haven't posted over there in nearly 15 years. Don't miss it one bit. But like I often say here....it's his forum/sandbox and he gets to set his own rules or not set rules just like Johnny gets to do what he wants here.

But someone alerted SuperSleeper to the other thread where the ads were discussed because he came over here and explained his side of things. I assume there is some way or other to do the same thing for this thread. That's what I meant could maybe be done.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:01 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:00 pm

ApneaBoard users should use an adblocker.

I use AdBlock Plus works great on ApneaBoard.
:oops: forgot all about adblock plus, which i have running. i pay no attention to it until i'm following it to a site that doesn't allow it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:05 pm

would you kindly explain why i don't see that furshlugginer ad when i repeat those steps?
Maybe you have an ad blocker, or are using a browser like Brave which automatically filters ads. Using Brave and turning off the "shields" a very similar ad comes up on the download instructions page.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 pm

Respirator99 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:05 pm
Maybe you have an ad blocker, or are using a browser like Brave which automatically filters ads. Using Brave and turning off the "shields" a very similar ad comes up on the download instructions page.
see my response to dogslobber.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg