First-time CPAP Machine Help (Newly Diagnosed OSA)!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Franko39

First-time CPAP Machine Help (Newly Diagnosed OSA)!

Post by Franko39 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed last week with a mild OSA(AHI score of 10). I decided to go ahead and try a CPAP machine (based on my symptoms and on the encouraging info I received from similar individuals in my situation).

The sleep clinic that did my study is offering an AirSense 11 for $1800 USD. I found an online website that offers the same product for half the price. Some questions I had:

1) I'm likely going to buy the CPAP unit online and just figure it out myself. I'm a bit worried about getting things "correct", though. In your experience, was it manageable to learn and figure things out on your own/with the help of the internet, without "professional" guidance?

2) I'm debating between an AirSense 10 and an AirSense 11. The AirSense 10 is about $300 US cheaper than the 11 (I could get either the 3G or the card to cloud model, for the AS10). For me, I'm happy to spend a bit more for a better quality machine, so the cost difference is not a concern. I've heard pros and cons of both models and am just wondering which model you'd recommend, if the price weren't a factor.

3) The RT assistant who looked at my sleep study (done at home) mentioned that I only have OSA (not central sleep apnea), but my report (attached) mentions a 1.9 score for central apnea. Does this mean I actually have an element of central apnea?

TIA! I am very much looking to a good night's sleep, once all is said and done.

Franko

loggerhead12

Re: First-time CPAP Machine Help (Newly Diagnosed OSA)!

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:39 am

1. You can do this yourself if you're mildly competent.

2. I'd get the 11 just for the internet connectivity. There is a lot of hate for MyAir here (Resmed's cloud dashboard) but it's a useful tool, especially for new people. Other than the connectivity there are few tangible differences between the units.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:06 pm

Either machine would be a good choice. As loggerhead12 says, you can use MyAir with the 11, in case that might be a factor for you.

You can absolutely figure out your best settings with some help, and people here would be happy to provide it.

A smattering of CAs doesn't indicate mixed or central apnea. Having a few CAs is normal, and having even more than a few may just indicate night-time arousals or awakenings.

By the way, the site here can no longer host attachments, so we can't see you sleep study. You can use an image-hosting site and post a link, though.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:53 pm

Franko39 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:16 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm debating between an AirSense 10 and an AirSense 11. The AirSense 10 is about $300 US cheaper than the 11 (I could get either the 3G or the card to cloud model, for the AS10). For me, I'm happy to spend a bit more for a better quality machine, so the cost difference is not a concern. I've heard pros and cons of both models and am just wondering which model you'd recommend, if the price weren't a factor.

Franko
Franko,
While the AS 11 is the latest and greatest. I think you will find more users here with the AS 10 and therefore more of a knowledge base and spare parts that will cost less too. Parts from the AS10 don't fit the AS11.

As far as the MyAir app - that was developed so the DME (supplier) could confirm to your insurance that you are indeed using the equipment they are paying for w/o having to drive to your house. So it's ALL about money and travel time, vehicle wear & tear, etc.

In spite of what people think I know of no Dr.'s who sit down to look at MyAir unless and until you are sitting there in front of them. For my doc I just bring a copy of the OSCAR Statistics page and she is more than happy to confirm I am using and benefiting from the use.

IF you aren't using insurance the modem is not needed. Just be sure whatever you choose has a card slot for the SD Card you will use to check your results in OSCAR.

Use this "Advanced Search" (found at the top of each forum page) to search for more info in this forum search.php?sid=2ef4d881c693138f561df10948fa47da
Last edited by SleepGeek on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:06 pm

Last edited by loggerhead12 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:15 pm

Even if the DME's had some way to see your data, tho' nothing at all as comprehensive as Oscar, they are NOT MDs and cannot prescribe anything, whatever they tell you, plus while they know the machines, they don't know medicine, tho' always want to advise. Please don't take your info from them.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:42 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:06 pm
I don't take anything to my doc, and he has loads of data about my sleep that he gets from somewhere. Way more than MyAir provides.
Soo you don't know where it comes from?
But do tell us what this
loads of data about my sleep
data is.

Just what I thought - crickets.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:03 pm

Last edited by loggerhead12 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:21 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:03 pm
Data that MyAir doesn't show.
NO help there. So you have no idea. Crickets.
loggerhead12 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:03 pm
MyAir is pretty basic - usage, events/hour, mask seal (just a basic good/bad) and number of times you removed your mask. Because that's what consumers need under normal circumstances. You should check it out some time.
Because that is what insurance needs and wants.
W/o this insurance won't pay for the Dr visit.
You should check it out some time.

Apparently you weren't around when you'd have to bring your cpap into the docs office.
Then when the RT came to the house it was a step up.
Then came the modem and the SD card.
Then came OSCAR.
AND here we are.
They are here to help.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:37 pm

Last edited by loggerhead12 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:45 pm

Sooo.... to ward off the pissing contest I sense is coming let me put and end to this part of the discussion.
You guys/gals are heading to derail a new member's thread and you know how I feel about doing that.

DMEs and doctors offices do NOT use ResMed MyAir website. MyAir was NOT developed for the pros at all.
MyAir was designed for cpap users.

They (docs and DMEs) use this site (AirView) developed for THEM for whatever needs they may have about anything.
https://login.airview.resmed.com

That's the end of this discussion and the associated chit chat pissing contest material flying around here.

Further chit chat or whatever that is not on topic will be immediately removed. This is the only warning.

I won't have another pissing contest in a newbie helping thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Franko39

Post by Franko39 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:06 pm

Thanks for the information, everyone! A few follow-up questions/notes I had:

1) Is the MyAir app no longer compatible with the AS10? A planned obsolescence kind of thing?

2) I'm in Canada and paying out of pocket for the machine, so I have no insurance rules to follow. It sounds like I could just get the AS10 card-to-cloud as the cheapest option and not really lose any functionality. It sounds like if I did need to send "professional" data to a clinician, I could just send them my OSCAR data directly? --> Is my understanding of all this generally correct?

3) SleepGeek had mentioned different parts not being interchangeable between the AS10 and AS11 - does this apply to the masks as well, or are those compatible with either machine?

Thanks again,

Franko

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 pm

Franko39 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:06 pm
3) SleepGeek had mentioned different parts not being interchangeable between the AS10 and AS11 - does this apply to the masks as well, or are those compatible with either machine?
Masks are compatible with either machine. The heated hose is not. And most of us do find heated hoses a must.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Franko39 wrote:
It sounds like if I did need to send "professional" data to a clinician, I could just send them my OSCAR data directly? --> Is my understanding of all this generally correct?
no. oscar is an end user product. the doctors would use something called air view. some docs are interested in oscar charts and some aren't.
Franko39 wrote:
<snip>...not being interchangeable between the AS10 and AS11 - does this apply to the masks as well, or are those compatible with either machine?
masks are generally interchangeable between all machines with the exception of travel machines which need a hose adapter.

oh and yes, myair works with the airsense 11.

and just saw the reply from ozij. yeah, heated hose is not the same between machines.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:05 pm

Franko39 wrote:
1) Is the MyAir app no longer compatible with the AS10? A planned obsolescence kind of thing?
I doubt that any obsolescence is planned or will occur.
That would be like Win10 no longer working when Win11 was released.
Franko39 wrote:
2) I'm in Canada and paying out of pocket for the machine, so I have no insurance rules to follow. It sounds like I could just get the AS10 card-to-cloud as the cheapest option and not really lose any functionality. It sounds like if I did need to send "professional" data to a clinician, I could just send them my OSCAR data directly? --> Is my understanding of all this generally correct?
That is correct. You can send electronically or a hard copy.

Whether one is using MyAir or Air view it will capture the very same data from the very same device. Or YOU can view the data right on the LCD screen yourself.

You got the word on the masks and the heated hose.
The AirMini is another story but that shouldn't affect you.

You will need an SD card reader if your computer doesn't already have one.
They are here to help.