Flying with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Wed May 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Bill,

I don't think, during this entire thread, anyone has mentioned actually using the machine while in the air. (though I guess that need could arise during an ocean crossing flight) The reason I carry my machine with me is to keep the baggage handlers from destroying it........after all, I'll need it when I arrive at my destination and night-time comes. The only concern has been that, as XPAP machine users, we are technically considered handicapped (albeit not like some, I'll admit) and the device we carry onboard the aircraft is for the purpose of treatment and by United States Federal Law, it cannot be counted toward the allotted allowance of carry-on items. Delta Customer Services acknowledged that with a two page apology and two $75 travel vouchers to boot. My girlfriend was charged $50 to check into baggage a small bag because she wasn't about to put her CPAP machine in her luggage. (the CPAP machine made her carry-on items total 3 pcs when the allowance is only 2)

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap machine, Travel

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

Lubman

Medical Devices & Use In Flight

Post by Lubman » Thu May 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Good information on this thread.
If a device is subject to FDA approval and must be obtained by a prescription, it is a medical device. As many have said the rules apply for xPAP.

There is another moderately recent thread on this forum about a gentlemen who received permission from United to use his CPAP with Battery on an international overnight flight.

Search around you will find it in the past 30 or so days, if you are interested.

It is at the option of the airline and must be approved in advance because the flight crews don't know what an xPAP is for.

Lubman

I'm not a medical professional - this is from my own experience.
Machine: ResMed Adapt ASV with EERS
Mask: Mirage NV FF Mask
Humidifier: F&P HC 150
Sleepzone Heated Hose

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu May 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Sleepy-eyes wrote:I don't think, during this entire thread, anyone has mentioned actually using the machine while in the air.
You really need to pay more attention...
NomoreCrashcart wrote:I have found many reports on-line regarding airline regulations pertaining to CPAPs in-flight--all contradictory
Sleepy-eyes wrote:it cannot be counted toward the allotted allowance of carry-on items.
What is that you don't understand about an airline being able to refuse you any carry-on for any reason that they consider will impact in-flight safety?

A very evident application of this was immediately after the World Trade Centre destruction. A more prosaic application could be if the in-cabin storage is already being fully utilised.

You can bitch and moan all you like about other regulations, but if push really comes to shove, anything that impacts in-flight safety will take precedence, with other issues to be considered later.

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 am

Okay, Bill, you are correct! I'll take my clothes off and run around a blazing fire 100 times if that'll make you happy. There have been two sideways comments about using XPAP machines while in flight, but that was not the original point of the thread. My girlfriend's and my machines were counted toward the number of carry-ons in opposition of the federal law which clearly states they can't do that. The Customer Services Manager at Delta even wrote in her letter that she was sending a letter to the Complaint Resolution Training Group to make sure they trained their personnel to not violate this regulation in the future. I'd pretty much say that defines whether or not the airline has the right to refuse an XPAP user from carrying the machine on the plane and not have it count as carry-on.

As far as aircraft safety..................I've not traveled a whole lot in my life by air, but in all my years I've never seen the above storage compartments filled to the point they were full. I don't think my little machine is going to bring the plane down or cause any unsafe situation. And I'm sure that if I were asked to not carry-on an item because of safety I'd gladly comply.

And lastly, I'd appreciate it if you'd be a little less harsh in your responses. Maybe that's the way people communicate where you come from, but we are more considerate here in the States.
Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri May 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Well, to clarify, Qantas does count CPAP towards your carry on limit, and I'm sure many other airlines in other countries do as well. I don't know the nitty-gritty on what applies when you're flying/from to the US or not, and likely neither will the attendant when you go to check in.

If you're flying overseas, check the regulations in the country you're flying to, and be forewarned that even if they have US regulations and misinterpret them, all they're going to say is, "Lodge a complaint" and then force you to check something anyway.

When I went to Sydney, I carried mine on but it was my "personal item" because I just didn't need to have something happen at my connection in Auckland, or anywhere else. I just don't see it as being worth it to stick out like a sore thumb for security everywhere just to be able to carry all my bags on. I didn't use it during the flight because I have no battery setup, and given that I slept all of 15 minutes anyway, it wasn't an issue.

And if I'm going on a shorter trip, then everything fits in my one carry on anyway. Now, in case someone's going "That's not FAIR!!!!" well, really it is. Each person takes up a specific amount of space on a plane. If you don't like it, get your own plane. I just happen to have a different set of priorities as to what I carry on than someone that's not on CPAP.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

RichCMH

Post by RichCMH » Fri May 04, 2007 3:27 pm

I believe the regulations do apply to any flight a foreign airline flys to or from the USA. Thus a Quantas flight Sydney to Los Angeles would have to comply with US regulations. Within Australia tho, it would be Australian rules.

After that, you're at the rules of that airline operating in the current country your aircraft is in.

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri May 04, 2007 3:41 pm

RichCMH wrote:Thus a Quantas flight Sydney to Los Angeles would have to comply with US regulations.
Well, that's generally the way the FAA works, but given that people are even having trouble with this rule domestically, I wouldn't expect a trouble free checkin in Managua, for example....

All I'm saying is that even though you may be right, it doesn't mean you won't get hassled and/or denied a carry on.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri May 04, 2007 3:51 pm

About all one can do is to take a copy of the regulation (which I've printed out previously in this thread) and present it if there is a question........and if you are still denied access, respectfully ask for the Complaint Resolution Official and show the regulation to him/her. If they still choose to count it as a carry-on, you are obligated to accept their decision, but also to report it when you get home. That's what Delta told me.
Chris

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:56 pm

Chris, glad the extended hassle worked out for you.

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks, Linda. It did work out, but what I liked the most was the admission of wrong-doing on their part. Now I (and hopefully a lot of others) can travel knowing the correct rule. Someone, way back when, mentioned "it wouldn't hold up in court", but as far as I'm concerned court has adjourned and we have a verdict!:lol:

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Travel

Chris

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri May 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Sleepy-eyes wrote:And lastly, I'd appreciate it if you'd be a little less harsh in your responses. Maybe that's the way people communicate where you come from, but we are more considerate here in the States.

Sleepy-eyes wrote:Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)
Tilt!

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Sat May 05, 2007 3:22 am

Get a life, Billyboy.
Chris

matthew999

Post by matthew999 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:46 am

billbolton wrote:
oceanpearl wrote:You are absolutely correct about airlines making policy pertaining to carry on, however the federal regulation superceeds the airline regulation when it come to medical equiptment.
Be aware that if any airline considers that there is an air flight safety issue related to any item of carry on, they can and will refuse it to allow the carry on, and worry about sorting out implications of any other regulation later.

This may not happen often but it can and does happen.

Cheers,

Bill
Your kind of a negative nancy.

matthew999

Post by matthew999 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 am

My cousin is a operations manager for Delta at one of their busier hubs
and his take on this is he would never compromise a passengers sensitive medical equipment by having it put in the baggage hold.
Instead if a cabin were truly full, he would have someone's machine
put in the crews storage area.

If the gate agent and their supervisor don't seem to be able to resolve your issue he said that as a last resort make sure you escalate any issue to
the duty manager for that airline.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat May 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Sleepy-eyes wrote:
Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)
Do as you say and not as you do... very cute indeed.