Lavender Oil or other Pongies in the Humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GrizzlyBear

Lavender Oil or other Pongies in the Humidifier?

Post by GrizzlyBear » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 am

Hiya, Folks.

In my household my partner and two sons all use lavender oil on their pillows to help them sleep. I love it - reminds me of my granny, who was a gorgeous lady (well, one of them was, the other was as nutty as a fruitcake).

Is it possible to put some oil in the humidifier, or am I going to foul something up. The answer may be obvious to some, but I'm a science dunce.

I've noticed reference to pur sleep pongies in some threads, but I get the impression they go on some sort of pad, not in the humidifier.

Regards,

GrizzlyBear (talking about being a science dunce, my oldest son - 10 - is just calling me down to watch a wonderful show on tellie called Sleek Geeks about - you guessed it, the wonders of science - bet they don't mention lavender oil in cpap humidifiers!!!!!)

Joffive

Post by Joffive » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 am

Be careful. I did a no-no and put some actual soap-making type fragrance oil on a little sponge and put it in the top part where the air runs past my humidifier chamber thinking it would just be nice scented air. Well, it got blown into the water area. What ended up happening once I got it all cleaned out is that this particular oil adhered itself to the plastic. It's integrated itself or something. It's hard and looks like a film of super glue residue.
Embarrassing to admit I did this (I hate stupid people )
Hopefully, someone will direct you better than me. I know there is the pur sleep stuff folks are talking about...
Jeannie

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 am

Where you actually put it is by the intake into the machine.

Joffive

Post by Joffive » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 am

Yup
Last edited by Joffive on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Griz - pur-sleep.com

You don't put it IN the HH, you put it outside the air intake.

You can also buy it on cpap.com

Cheers,
Babs

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Absolutely never put anything but water in the humidifier.

Some people don't even like the idea of using Pur-Sleep near the air intake, they're afraid it will void your machine's warranty, but you'll find a lot of users on this forum who can attest to it's successful use (including me).

And our forum buddy SleepGuy (the originator of Pur-Sleep) has a great Lavender mix along with a great variety of other scents. He's also willing to answer any questions you may have about the use of essential oils.

I'd talk to him (or some of our other essential oil experts), before you use anything near the air intake. He can advise you on what oils are good to use, and what oils aren't.

John A. Taylor

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 am

I would never put any kind of oily substance in my humidifier. I don't want atomized oils forced into my lungs -- it can cause pneumonia and since it's an oily substance the lungs have a very difficult time expelling it!!!!

The Pur-Sleep system puts an essential oil on a "cotton" pad outside the air intake. It's like putting a drop of the lavender oil on the pillow and then putting the pillow at the intake......it does not enter the lungs as an atomized substance!!!!

Visit pur-sleep.com and talk to sleepguy here at the forum.....

I'm one that likes lavender as well!!! Sleepguy's got a good lavender mix called Peace that I really like!!!!

Good luck
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:51 am

I use the Pur-sleep system and can't do without it. My numbers were all over the place until I got my new mask and started using the Pur-sleep system. Lavender is the only fragrance I can stand, but my AHI average since Dec 6, 2006 has been 1.0, so I'm not complaining!

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)