420E Run Question ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Post by ozij » Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Cathy, I assume you're responding to my pre-edited version, where I mentioned humps as mouthleak indicators.

I think moutlheaks would look like plateaus for anyone - a mouthleak is a very stable change in leak level.

I accept that mask leaks can be curved - I had actually edited out my comment about "humps" because I realized I had never actually described my mouthleaks like that in the past, and it was humps I was seeing in Bill's chart.
You were busy composing your response while I was editing mine (and answering the phone in the middle....).

I would suspect any plateau of being a mouthtleak.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:Thanks for all the encouragement, guys.

I pulled a switch last night and used the Comfort Curve again with the sensor tube extended. (Hey, I needed to test the "tube theory" out ... ) Here's the data chart from the past two nights:
Sometimes I wonder if Respironics even has a testing facility... can you make a potato launcher out of that comfort curve?

As that weird guy from Mythbusters on the Discovery channel says:

right there is your problem

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

-SWS

Sensory Input

Post by -SWS » Thu May 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Bill, I find the physical activity aspect interesting. We can further explore that correlation if you become convinced the correlation is both real and sustained. I have some similar anecdotes and speculative thoughts regarding pathophysiology to eventually share.

All, it's a given on this message board that moderate and even slight leaks can adversely impact PAP therapy. Yet it's not a given among practitioners. I personally don't chalk that one up to placebo effect, since so many posters swear how important it is to correct even slight leaks.

I can think of a few ways that slight and moderate leaks can impact therapy. One possibility is a neurologically-lowered threshold of sensory-based arousal (stimulus/response to leak-generated sensory input during sleep).

And I'm also wondering if Bill has ever discerned leaks impacting his sleep in any way. For that matter, how about sensory input in general, Bill? Do you tend to be sensitive to sensory input during either wake or sleep?

That neurological predisposition just may theoretically extend to pressure intolerance and general sleep-arousal tendencies, or so I would very tentatively suspect.

NightHawkeye

Re: Sensory Input

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 pm

-SWS wrote:Bill, I find the physical activity aspect interesting. We can further explore that correlation if you become convinced the correlation is both real and sustained. I have some similar anecdotes and speculative thoughts regarding pathophysiology to eventually share.
Yeah, I'm convinced the correlation is both real and sustained. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it -SWS.
-SWS wrote:I can think of a few ways that slight and moderate leaks can impact therapy. One possibility is a neurologically-lowered threshold of sensory-based arousal (response to leak-generated sensory input during sleep).

And I'm also wondering if Bill has ever discerned leaks impacting his sleep in any way. For that matter, how about sensory input in general, Bill? Do you tend to be sensitive to sensory input during either wake or sleep?
I wish I was! I'm just the opposite. Excessive sleep arousal isn't one of my problems. I usually awaken two or three times a night, but rarely from mask leaks (except with the Swift), or from mouth leaks (unless my wife wallops me). After masking up, I usually go right to sleep if mask leaks are eliminated. If leaks are rampant, then I've been known to fiddle with the mask for a long time until the leaks get corrected.

Regards,
Bill

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm

tangents wrote:Ozij,

I have no doubt that what you describe about mouth breathing versus leak curve is true for you, but what about my graph while wearing the Hybrid?

show off!!!

(hey nice set of racks ya got there)
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

NightHawkeye

Small update ...

Post by NightHawkeye » Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 am

The mask chiding I got yesterday prompted me to consider another mask. Based on not just Cathy's recommendation, but the fact that I've read many excellent reports from experienced CPAP'ers extolling the virtues of the Headrest, I went ahead and ordered one yesterday.

The only real complaint folks seem to have with the Headrest is that the headgear doesn't accommodate small heads. That isn't an issue for fathead me.

Nothing new in last night's data. The first several hours showed leaks, whether mask or mouth (although I lean toward mouth), and the last three hours showed an amazing lack of leaks, pressure increases and FL runs. Go figure.

Regards,
Bill

tangents

Post by tangents » Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am

(hey nice set of racks ya got there) Razz
Quite the funny man, Snoredog. My curves are indeed awe inspiring.

Bill,
I'm sure you're aware that a good number of us have decapitated the Headrest according to the Patron Saint of Women's Tights (AKA Rested Gal ). Even if you leave the head gear on, a strap that cradles the nasal pillows and ties behind the head makes the seal very stable. Rested Gal uses tights, and I use a soft strip of suede-like fabric. I've sent some fabric strips to other forum members, and would be happy to send some to you or anyone else who wants to try them. Also, remember to apply a thin layer of natural chap-stick to your nares at night.

Good luck, and let us know how you like it!

Have a great day,
Cathy

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 30, 2008 9:42 am

Congratulation on joining the Headrest club, Bill.

What is "natural chapstick"?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

tangents

Post by tangents » Fri May 30, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Ozij,

Natural Chapstick doesn't contain petroleum products that (I've heard) can degrade the nasal pillow material and shorten its life. It contains natural products like beeswax, almond oil, shea butter, etc. We have several different brands here. Do you have such products in Israel? I can send you some, if you'd like.

Cathy

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 30, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks for the offer, Cathy.
We have all kinds of chap-stick - I'll check to see if we have any natural.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

-SWS

Re: Sensory Input

Post by -SWS » Fri May 30, 2008 10:49 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:
-SWS wrote:Bill, I find the physical activity aspect interesting. We can further explore that correlation if you become convinced the correlation is both real and sustained. I have some similar anecdotes and speculative thoughts regarding pathophysiology to eventually share.
Yeah, I'm convinced the correlation is both real and sustained. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it -SWS.
This sounds like an interesting sub-topic to add to this thread. More soon...
NightHawkeye wrote:
-SWS wrote:I can think of a few ways that slight and moderate leaks can impact therapy. One possibility is a neurologically-lowered threshold of sensory-based arousal (response to leak-generated sensory input during sleep).

I wish I was! I'm just the opposite. Excessive sleep arousal isn't one of my problems. I usually awaken two or three times a night, but rarely from mask leaks (except with the Swift), or from mouth leaks (unless my wife wallops me). After masking up, I usually go right to sleep if mask leaks are eliminated. If leaks are rampant, then I've been known to fiddle with the mask for a long time until the leaks get corrected.
I just thought of one possible difference between perceiving awakenings versus perceiving lesser arousals. I should clarify by saying the following was my perception. I'm not exactly sure how common or uncommon this perceptual difference may be:

When my doctor first proposed a sleep study I thought the idea made very little sense. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out cold until morning. I had never slept that "soundly" for most of my life, so a sleep study made virtually no sense to me. As it turns out I was having so many sleep arousals because of apnea that I rarely suffered my insomnia of years past.

Immediately prior to my apnea diagnosis I had been experiencing excessive sleep arousals, but no awakenings that I was aware of. And because I was experiencing sleep deprivation because of those excessive arousals, I seldom woke up during sleep. It was a real "fooler" for me. What I thought was my best sleep ever was actually my worst. Not that my previous sleep was all that great.

Speaking of good sleep... good luck with that new mask!

StillAnotherGuest

Staying Abreast of Things....

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Sat May 31, 2008 4:43 am

Snoredog wrote:(hey nice set of racks ya got there)
This is grammatically incorrect. A "rack" is already a "set", so in this case, a "set of racks" would be redundant. It should either be "nice rack" or "nice set of" Angel Cakes, Rib Balloons, Bazongas, Enchiladas, Mangos, Melons, Bikini Stuffers, Fun Bags, Cans, Snuggle Pups, Goombas, Grapefruits, Guavas, Tamales, Bronskis, Oompas, Carumbas, Pagodas, Casabas, Papayas, Chiquitas, Coconuts, Jugs, Woofers, Kumquats, or whatever.

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Sat May 31, 2008 7:34 am

...A rose by any other name.

Reminds me of that one comedian's hilarious spiel way back in the seventies: "Now you can call me Ray... Or you can call me Jay... "

-SWS

Re: Small update ...

Post by -SWS » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 pm

[quote="NightHawkeye"]The mask chiding I got yesterday prompted me to consider another mask. Based on not just Cathy's recommendation, but the fact that I've read many excellent reports from experienced CPAP'ers extolling the virtues of the Headrest, I went ahead and ordered one yesterday.

The only real complaint folks seem to have with the Headrest is that the headgear doesn't accommodate small heads. That isn't an issue for fathead me.

Nothing new in last night's data. The first several hours showed leaks, whether mask or mouth (although I lean toward mouth), and the last three hours showed an amazing lack of leaks, pressure increases and FL runs. Go figure.

Regards,
Bill