Where to buy a cheaper machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
billydee

Where to buy a cheaper machine?

Post by billydee » Wed May 28, 2008 1:07 pm

My RemStar quit working after 2 1/2 years and I paid $2500 for it in Canada. It is going to cost $800 to repair it and I think that is ridiculous.

I am wondering where the best place on the internet is to buy one and which brands are good or bad.

Thanks

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Despite you bad luck w/your RemStar after only 2 1/2 years, Respironics makes a darn good xPAP and most last one heck of a lot longer than 5 years.

Resmed makes one heck of a good xPAP and I happen to be partial to the Resmeds. And again most last one heck of a lot longer than 5 years which is the earliest most US insurances will replace an xPAP.

In addition these are the two leading brands of xPAPs. Not too many online DME suppliers can meet or beat cpap.com's prices. However, it might well be worth your while to check cpapauctions.com as well.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

guard_girl21

Post by guard_girl21 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 am

I have my 1 year old Resmed Compact S8 for sale if you are interested? Works great. I just made a post about it, there's a pic of everything included. Let me know if you are interested.

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 am

What others have said is true. Most of the machines last for years, some for much longer than 5 years. CPAP.com has lots of machines for decent prices, if you have to buy a new one out of pocket. You can also check Ebay or craigslist, but there you take the risk of buying a machine that may not be new. Best of luck to you.

Hawthorne

Cheaper machine

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:03 am

I am Canadian as well and the prices for cpap machines here are ridiculously high! I bought a new one online, paid for it myself and it cost about 1/3 of the cost of one bought in Canada. The price I paid included a humidifier, software and a card reader. It seems to be the same as the situation we had with the cost of automobiles in Canada and people were going to the US to buy them. I doesn't sound to me like your machine is worth repairing at that cost. With a little more (not $2500!) you can buy a new one online. I have always had Respironics and have an old machine that is more than 5 years old so they should last. There are other good machines available as well. PM me if you like and have further questions of a Canadian.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Niteair

Post by Niteair » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:14 am

You might also try "secondwindcpap.com", they seem to have reasonably priced used machines.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 am

I'll throw in a shameless plug for the little Puritan-Bennett machines. Puritan-Bennett machines offer the best value along with the highest performance. Additionally, Puritan-Bennett has not raised their prices to the ridiculous levels which Respironics, ResMed and F&P have. The PB 420E APAP provides the highest performance and best software monitoring available, IMHO.

Regards,
Bill

EDBRAD

Post by EDBRAD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:36 am

Here is another plug for cpap.com. Not only their prices but they try to make the whole process a lot easier. I have wrestled with local dmes for 8 years just for filters & masks alone. It has all been such a headache, I couldn't believe it when i got my new machine last month from them. They definately treat you like you are supposed to be treated.
I would have to second NightHawkeye as well on the PB420E. It is a great little machine especially at the price. Of couse the only thing I have to compare to is the old Solo LX I have been on for 8 yrs. It is quiet, the software is pretty easy to use - hell even an old hick like me is starting to make sense of the software. That in itself says alot. The 420E is definatly worth considering.

Ed

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

too bad you were not in the states, I could sell you a slightly used Aflex with humidifier, software and card reader for a lot less than that.

but then again you don't live in the states and I don't want to deal with that hassle.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

X Border

Post by X Border » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:39 pm

If the OP is near a border town then he could have it sent to a US mail order place and pick it up there.