Sleep Apnea is a family affair...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KimberlyinMN

Sleep Apnea is a family affair...

Post by KimberlyinMN » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 am

My dad just had his sleep study yesterday and the technician said that he definitely has sleep apea. She also told him that his oxygen level was down to 67%. For the machine part of the study, she hooked him up to a machine that also delivered oxygen. I guess she told him the doctor would prescribe a machine with oxygen as well. I was amazed that he got all of this information from the technician as I thought they weren't supposed to "diagnose" any of this information (or at least not tell the patient). The only reason he decided to have the study done was because he had a colonoscopy last Monday and they told him about his oxygen level, etc.

So... In my family, my only sibling has it, I do, my maternal aunt and maternal uncle. I'm sure my mom does too as her snoring could raise the roof.

The good news for my dad is that at least he doesn't have to go into this blindly. During the machine part of the test, they hooked him up with a nasal mask. He was told that the full face masks aren't used much at all anymore. (Which I told him that he should still think about getting one for when he has a cold.) He suffers from claustrophobia worse than me (he can't even go through a carwash) so maybe a full face isn't really an option.

Now I will have to read up on how to buy stuff through CPAP.com with Medicare. (In one ear, out the other since it didn't apply to "me" before -- it still doesn't, but for my dad.)

I also mentioned to my dad that he should see about maybe even getting a "backup" machine to have by his recliner. He works nights so he sleeps in his bedroom from about 8 am to 3 pm. Then he takes about a two hour nap in the recliner. Then again, maybe he won't be needing this nap! (I just thought of that.)

Kimberly

ddpelp

Post by ddpelp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 am

why did they say the full face mask was worthless? Just wondering if you happen to know the tech thoughts. Also, yes surprising the tech gave out so much info... not the norm

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:03 am

ddpelp wrote:why did they say the full face mask was worthless? Just wondering if you happen to know the tech thoughts. Also, yes surprising the tech gave out so much info... not the norm
Well, she didn't say it was worthless, just that they didn't use them much anymore. I thought that was kind of odd actually. At the place where I had my sleep study done, they told me that they always start people out with a full face mask. I'm glad that was my first mask because I doubt that I would have picked it on my own. Now that's my backup and I use the Comfortlite 2 but at least I have one when I have a bad cold.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:57 am

Genes play a big part in all our lives. Some problems are predeturnined, some are problems created by our choices. Lucky us, we get hit from both sides. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Genetics

Post by kteague » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:13 am

Kimberly,

If your sleep apnea has anything to do with family history, gee, your genes are loaded, aren't they! With it on both sides of the family, the handwriting was on the wall.

Hope your Dad adjusts quickly and that the benefits are obvious to your mother and that she won't want to be outdone.

Kathy