Update on my quest for data capable machine.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sososleepy

Update on my quest for data capable machine.

Post by sososleepy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:14 am

Hello Everyone,
Long story short. My GP DR is going to write me a script for a data capable machine of my choice. I'm going to go for the M series auto cpap with A flex.
I like the idea of an auto titrating machine. My pressure is low, starting out at 4 and only going up to 6. My apnea is mild.
As far as my sleep DR. I will be looking for a new one.To tired to elaberate right now.
Thank you all for your great responses. I can't wait to feel better so i can participate more in the group. At the time i'm just not feeling up to writing and reading much. I'm hopeful that this will change soon. Hugs, Sososleepy

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:16 am

SoSo........

As soon as you can do so, I suggest that you purchase a recording Oximeter with software and that will allow you to check your O2 saturation levels at night.

Along with the AFLEX and its software, a recording Oximeter with report generating software will give you enough information to enable you to better understand your difficulty.

I've been happy with my SPO 7500 Oximeter.....and I consider it a good value. I purchased mine from Turnermedical.com and I was happy with their service.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm

SoSoSleepy, good on you! I hope you get that Auto w/A-Flex real soon and w/o too much hassle and difficulty w/your local DME supplier.

Personally, I think your next step should be the EncorePro v.1.8 software and the cable reader. Or the EncoreViewer software and cable reader. I think that will be more value to you than the SPO 7500 wrist recording oximter - unless you have known lung problems. You will be better able to monitor your therapy and home titrate your pressure upwards if needed.

I'd be willing to bet that you need MORE than 4 cms to 6 cms pressure! Most people could not breathe comfortably at 4 cms w/a mask on, 6 cms pressure is really about the minimum for comfortable breathing with a CPAP mask.

There are those w/mild apnea who need fairly high pressure and those w/severe pressure who need surprisingly low pressure so it is NOT the DEGREE of severity of OSA but the ability of the CPAP to push the tongue and throat tissue out of the way to let you breathe.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:25 pm

SoSo.........

With all due respects, I agree with....and disagree with Slinky.

I've found that anytime I can look at a problem, person, idea, item, or anything else....from two different directions or viewpoints....I'm able to understand in greater depth.

If we look at the suffocation problem we all have......not getting enough O2 at night......and we examine the problem from two or more directions, we can do a better job of managing it.

In my previous post, I assumed that you would be getting software to go with the data capable machine you have decided to obtain. On this point, I agree with Slinky. CPAP software is a given....a first prirority.

But.......If you have another way to look at the problem (suffocation & low O2)........you can learn much, much more. When you're using (2) different tools to evaluate your progress, you can use each to check the other. If one isn't giving you a full picture, the other takes up the slack....and you don't have a possible false sense of success (when you have only one tool).

If you can possibly swing it, purchasing a recording Oximeter will help give you the confidence that you're managing your problem correctly.

Gerald

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Thanks for helping! Questions about software.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.
I have to be honest I don't understand much about data software yet. I know i want a data capable, auto titrating machine and software so i can learn how to monitor my care, but it's probably going to be a bit difficult for me to set it all up because of the brain fog and fatigue.
What software would be the least difficult to hookup and understand?
I haven't ordered anything yet. Dme is way to expensive, even with Ins paying half. I'll be self paying for everything. Would you believe the dme charges 1950.00 for the machine. So much cheaper to buy off of cpap.com.
I'm sure i'll be posting tons of questions when i receive all my new equipment. Thanks again for all the responses to my questions. Hugs, Sososleepy

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Okay then,

First priority: the CPAP or autoPAP you want as well a heated humidifier
Second priority: a comfortable, well-fitting mask giving the lowest leak problems
Third priority: software and cable reader
Fourth priority: recording oximeter

Some minor items that might be needed or of assistance: Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, Mack's Silicone Ear Plugs, PAPpillow or other type of pillow that allows you to sleep on your sides, back or even tummy if you so choose. Of these, the pillow, regardless of type, will be the most expensive. Depending on your mask and mask fit you may also want mask straps or pads from Padacheek.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:07 pm

An expensive pillow is not necessarily needed, even for a side sleeper. I use a regular down pillow and squish the side in, similar to the shape of the expensive pillows, and that works just fine for me. May or may not work for others, but it's worth a try before investing $50 + in a cpap-specific pillow.

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007