Remember the RT I was bragging on??....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SarahF

Remember the RT I was bragging on??....

Post by SarahF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 am

In my last post I stated my doctor was sending the orders for the M Series A Flex with F&P Humidifier. Yey!!!

Of course they had to order it and with the holiday it took about a week. I had an appointment to pick it up yesterday.......Yipeeeee.....screech....not so fast...

I get there and the RT pulls out the unit with an attached humidifier...I stated my doctor sent the prescription for the F&P...she states no...I asked her to look at the presecription...she says no just the machine...I took the stack from her hands and said look at the second prescription...it is for the humidifier.....she says "oh...I didn't even look at that." Then she goes on to say she always orders the combined unit...I advised I didn't want it because I had heard some of the units leak..to which she replied "but they have fixed that problem, see the new seal?" which when she pulled out the humidifier was the old style....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It really amazes me that we as a consumer know more than the people who are handling our therapy!

So not only did I not get my humidifier...she also didn't get the mask I requested...so now I have to wait for them to either get them from another office or order them...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lord help me I kept my cool, but I think she got the picture when I said guess it will be a while before I can get a good nites sleep! And not only that they were trying to get 20% copay up front when my copay is on 10%. Last time I got a mask they told me I owed 42.00 copay...when the insurance processed the EOB states I owe 10.60! So now I have a credit that only their billing office can handle...but the close by the time I can get home to call. Needless to say when asked if I preferred to let them file to insurance first I took that option, and I think they did that because of the screw ups they had done.

Where has good customer service gone?! I have worked my whole adult life and if I had worked like some of the service I have recieved or not recieved I would have been fired. It really seems companies just don't care any more.

Sorry...had to get that off my chest to someone that understands...the people I work with that do not use cpap have no idea.

Thanks for listening
Sarah

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, CPAP, seal, Prescription

Last edited by SarahF on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:57 am

Heaving a big sigh for you!!! Here's hoping the PROPER mask and the F&P arrive soon!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

MRH

Post by MRH » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Sarah,

I had a similar experience with the DME. I had them order a Respironics auto w/Aflex. Had to wait because they didn't have it in stock, so... It finally comes in and I take off work to go get it, the gal comes in and puts it on the table and starts showing me it. I ask where to set the A-flex at and she gets this funny look Didn't have a clue what I was talking about ,then asks another employee. He doesn't know about it either !!!!! Wow !!!! So I get to wait for them to order it again, they got it right finally, and thanked me for introducing them to it!! Hard to believe somebody in the business didn't know about the latest and greatest machine! They even handle that brand. They weren't doing anything wrong on purpose, just didn't know!

Mark

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:03 pm

But that is an important point! The last link in the chain, the one that is supposed to educate, support and provide our service - and even they don't know or understand the equipment we are provided with. Makes no difference that we requested or our doctors ordered a device that they didn't have in stock and had to order in. You would think that the RT would AT LEAST go thru the Clinician's Manual and have some idea of its capabilities and how to properly set it up BEFORE they bring us in to pick up our equipment. SHEESH! As a supposed professional I would be embarrassed to not know the "product" I was providing and unable to answer simple questions about it.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SarahF

Post by SarahF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Well just to update got a message today...they will need to order the humidifier and mask...will be next week.

I also heard the RT saying last nite the CL2 was an "old" mask she used to put on some patients...I thought this was the newer version?

I also just realized reading another thread how they set the APAP. The tech set mine at 4-20 which seems strange to me since my pressure is 10 with peaks of 12-14...why set is so low and so high?!?

I wonder sometimes if they don't set you up for failure?

Sarah

PS

I know I am older than the RT, but jeesh...I didn't go to school to be one and feel she doesn't know half what she should.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I'd set that autopap at 10 - 20 if it were me. But I'm not a doctor or an RT. Oh well.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SarahF

Post by SarahF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 pm

A little birdie told me how...and you can bet I will.

Sarah

TossinNTurnin

Re: Remember the RT I was bragging on??....

Post by TossinNTurnin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm

SarahF wrote:In my last post I stated my doctor was sending the orders for the M Series A Flex with F&P Humidifier. Yey!!!

Of course they had to order it and with the holiday it took about a week. I had an appointment to pick it up yesterday.......Yipeeeee.....screech....not so fast...

I get there and the RT pulls out the unit with an attached humidifier...I stated my doctor sent the prescription for the F&P...she states no...I asked her to look at the presecription...she says no just the machine...I took the stack from her hands and said look at the second prescription...it is for the humidifier.....she says "oh...I didn't even look at that." Then she goes on to say she always orders the combined unit...I advised I didn't want it because I had heard some of the units leak..to which she replied "but they have fixed that problem, see the new seal?" which when she pulled out the humidifier was the old style....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It really amazes me that we as a consumer know more than the people who are handling our therapy!

So not only did I not get my humidifier...she also didn't get the mask I requested...so now I have to wait for them to either get them from another office or order them...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lord help me I kept my cool, but I think she got the picture when I said guess it will be a while before I can get a good nites sleep! And not only that they were trying to get 20% copay up front when my copay is on 10%. Last time I got a mask they told me I owed 42.00 copay...when the insurance processed the EOB states I owe 10.60! So now I have a credit that only their billing office can handle...but the close by the time I can get home to call. Needless to say when asked if I preferred to let them file to insurance first I took that option, and I think they did that because of the screw ups they had done.

Where has good customer service gone?! I have worked my whole adult life and if I had worked like some of the service I have recieved or not recieved I would have been fired. It really seems companies just don't care any more.

Sorry...had to get that off my chest to someone that understands...the people I work with that do not use cpap have no idea.

Thanks for listening
Sarah
There but for the grace of God go I.

But, you are an inspiration for standing your ground and being an informed self-advocate.

"She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini

Zoo Med Repti Heat cable to prevent rainout and the Aussie heated hose

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Not to stick up for another DME RT that dosen't deserve it, but the salesmen do not "sell to " the DME. They hit up the sleep labs with the new information and hope that the orders trickle down. Everything I learned about the Auto SV was from what I sought out on the internet or by calling Respironics. I could not get anyone to come out to show me anything. My big argument is that the sleep labs get to put the patients on the equipment with all the monitoring and watching them on monitors. I have to put them on the machine and send them home. I should get the education and the sleep lab should get the internet version. AFLex is not pushed as an added benefit to the DME ( probably because they wouldn't want to pay for it)
The CL2 is a fairly old mask that only works for a small group of people. And very rarely without huge fixes. It is the newer version of an old mask.
You cannot blame the tech for how the Dr order the settings on the machines. I am forever calling Dr's offices to ask to shorten the Gap on the auto settings. I have to go through the whole discussion about why 4-20 is not better than 10-14. It is a battle that is almost crazy.
About the F&P humidifier- most patients would not go for the separate humidifier. I have said this before and I will contimue to repeat it, you are all the exception. This forum seems like such a huge group of people, which it is, but in the grand scheme of things, you are a small subset of CPAP patients. That could have been a true oversight. Not that it is right.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks again for presenting the other side of the story, KansasRT. But, when you order in a new machine you have no experience w/don't you at least go thru the manual and set it up according to the equipment order from the doctor BEFORE the patient comes in to get it? Or at the very least go thru the manual and familiarize yourself w/its features BEFORE the patient comes in and you explain its use??? Somehow I just can NOT picture your not doing so!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:08 pm

But, Slinky, KansasRT isn't your "typical" DME/RT.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Boy! "Ain't" that the truth, Wulfman! KansasRT is a "goodie" and a "keeper"!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Yep, these online "correspondence courses" she's taken here at CPAPTALK have done her a world of good.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 pm

"Online Correspondence Courses"!!! Good one, Wulfman. And they really are, aren't they? Too bad more DME suppliers' RTs don't take advantage and diplomatically provide their "side of the story" as well!!!

Of course, "we" aren't always diplomatic w/some of them that drop into the forum either .... but then ... generally "they" start the lack of diplomacy ... some of them w/their hit and run posts as "Guests".

WNJ

Re: Remember the RT I was bragging on??....

Post by WNJ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:52 am

SarahF wrote:. . . Where has good customer service gone?! I have worked my whole adult life and if I had worked like some of the service I have recieved or not recieved I would have been fired. It really seems companies just don't care any more. . .
My wife got her first xPAP not quite four weeks ago. A ResMed VPAP Adapt SV.

The DME my wife must deal with (insurance company's sole provider) has no bricks and mortar location near us. They have an RT in a small town in the next county. We met the RT in the doctor’s office where my wife’s sleep studies were conducted. (Did I mention that we live in an isolated area?)

Anyhow, the RT (a young woman) readily volunteered the information that this was the first time she had seen one of these machines. She also said that she had read through the manual, etc., for this machine and had checked it out. She went thru it with us and sent us home with the new machine. My only complaint is that they did not have a Quattro size Extra Small in this small office, so Michelle went home with a size small.

I must say, I appreciate the RT’s honesty. I don’t expect perfection; I expect honesty and I expect a best effort. And I expect a helpful attitude and a best effort when problems arise. So far, that is the kind of service that Michelle has received with her xPAP.

The size small Quattro full-face mask Michelle got initially was ill-fitting. I called the DME’s state office the next business day and they shipped the right size mask the same day. The RT I spoke to in that office was professional, courteous, and helpful.

Michelle’s script was for “BiPAP ST,” with pressures and rate specified. The Adapt SV is clearly not a cheapo substitute on the part of the DME. They could have provided a less expensive machine meeting this script.

Our experience with this DME has been a pleasant surprise. Wish they were all that way!

Wayne