What if they didn't diagnose Sleep Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RicaLynn

Re: What if they didn't diagnose Sleep Apnea?

Post by RicaLynn » Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 pm

I firmly believe that misdiagnosis shortened my father's life considerably. Born in 1942, he had shown signs of sleep apnea since the early 1970's but was misdiagnosed as narcoleptic and put on Ritalin for almost two decades, which did nothing for his snoring, or his fatigue, but helped him muddle through his days (I've come to believe he also had undiagnosed ADHD, which the Ritalin DID help, but the apnea continued its destruction). Dad had high BP, high cholesterol, heart disease, kidney/urological issues, all of which can be side effects of untreated apnea, which from what I recall of my childhood, he most definitely had. My father would come home from his 9-to-5 and promptly fall asleep in his easy chair, snoring loud enough to wake the dead, until my mother called us to dinner. He would eat, then quickly doze off in his chair again until mom nudged him to go to bed around 9:30, and his snoring would begin nearly as soon as his head hit the pillow.

When my father finally had a proper sleep study in the late 1990's and was titrated for CPAP, he told me the RT that administered his sleep study was "scared sh*tless" at the number and duration of his apneas/hypopneas, and his first night on CPAP therapy was the "best night's sleep [he'd ] had in 40-odd years."

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat May 05, 2018 8:29 am

RicaLynn wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 pm
I firmly believe that misdiagnosis shortened my father's life considerably. Born in 1942, he had shown signs of sleep apnea since the early 1970's but was misdiagnosed as narcoleptic and put on Ritalin for almost two decades, which did nothing for his snoring, or his fatigue, but helped him muddle through his days (I've come to believe he also had undiagnosed ADHD, which the Ritalin DID help, but the apnea continued its destruction). Dad had high BP, high cholesterol, heart disease, kidney/urological issues, all of which can be side effects of untreated apnea, which from what I recall of my childhood, he most definitely had. My father would come home from his 9-to-5 and promptly fall asleep in his easy chair, snoring loud enough to wake the dead, until my mother called us to dinner. He would eat, then quickly doze off in his chair again until mom nudged him to go to bed around 9:30, and his snoring would begin nearly as soon as his head hit the pillow.

When my father finally had a proper sleep study in the late 1990's and was titrated for CPAP, he told me the RT that administered his sleep study was "scared sh*tless" at the number and duration of his apneas/hypopneas, and his first night on CPAP therapy was the "best night's sleep [he'd ] had in 40-odd years."
When did he pass? For how long had he been on CPAP at that time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am

RicaLynn wrote:
(I've come to believe he also had undiagnosed ADHD,
Are you aware that there's a growing idea that many cases of ADHD are actually undiagnosed cases of SDB? So, his ADHD symptoms fit his undiagnosed sleep apnea.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 am

palerider wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am
RicaLynn wrote:
(I've come to believe he also had undiagnosed ADHD,
Are you aware that there's a growing idea that many cases of ADHD are actually undiagnosed cases of SDB? So, his ADHD symptoms fit his undiagnosed sleep apnea.
It's very possible. He continued taking Ritalin for several years after being diagnosed with and treated for his OSA, and after he stopped taking it I notice a distinct decrease in his ability to concentrate -- which, realistically, may have been more age-related than anything. But I also have ADHD and successfully treated OSA, so there is some overlap.

grapeshly

Post by grapeshly » Sun May 06, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm in this club, too. I had complained to doctors for years that I always felt tired. I mean really tired. To the point where I would nod off while driving my car TO work in the morning! They took blood tests, and gave me pamphlets about sleep hygiene. You know what one of them told me? Don't drive to work. Like that's a realistic option in a small town! NOT ONE asked whether I had any of the other symptoms. I suspected I had OSA, but didn't know how to talk to a doctor about it, but even so, the 5 doctors I went to over the course of 7 years were remarkably obtuse. I figure I was sleep deprived for 7 years. It was my dentist who offered a home sleep test, and armed with the results of that test, my doctor could no longer ignore my complaints.
I HATE doctors!

SusanWink

Post by SusanWink » Sun May 06, 2018 8:48 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am

Can you, by any chance, direct me to info on this related to adults? If not, I’ll refine my google search and see what I can find. My brother was recently diagnosed with adhd, and my mother and I are both being treated for osa. I’d like to find something worth passing on to him. Thanks!