I am experimenting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosiesSister

I am experimenting

Post by RosiesSister » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:54 pm

I just got my cpap a month ago and haven't been able to use it more than a handful of times. The nasal mask that came with it was claustrophobic and kept waking me up because of my mouth blowing open.

So I ordered a full face mask, which took a month to get here. I live on a mountain off grid, and I have to run a generator to power the cpap. The face mask might be a bit large, and it keeps waking me up with loud farting around my jowls, but it's a little bit better than the nasal mask.

I haven't yet enjoyed a full night's sleep, which is nothing new but for different reasons. I was hoping for more, but I'm going to continue plugging away at it.

The problem comes when the full pressure 14 kicks up, and my breathing doesn't match it. I do better on the temporary setting of 4, but when it cranks up to 14 it just blows out the sides, with loudness. I had a friend suggest some type of sedation. But it's hard to imagine ever being sedated enough to sleep through a windstorm blowing out around my face.

I also had stuffy nose issues with the nasal mask. I found that a Chinese formula called Pe Min Kan Wan works great to clear the stuffies.

Right now we are in the middle of a cold snap, and the air blowing into my face is quite cold, which makes me cough into my mask. It is impossible for me to relax, let alone sleep! But I'm sure this is quite common.

That's where I'm at for now. My friend suggested posting issues to this group, so here I am.
Ali

LSAT

Re: I am experimenting

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Why don't you start by telling us what specific machine and what specific mask you are using. If you are getting cold air..are you using the humidifier? are you using a heated hose?

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Ummmmm.....ok, well 4 is too low to do any good for you, and 14 is just at the low end of any kind productive pressure levels... mine begins at 13 and sometimes goes to 17 or 18, depending on need.

You'll need to experiment with getting your headgear adjusted correctly to get a good fit for the mask to stop the farting / leaking issues.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

Geer1

Post by Geer1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:39 pm

As mentioned we need more details of mask, machine and settings.

Temporary pressure of 4, I assume this is the ramp pressure? How long is ramp set for?

Full pressure of 14, are you on CPAP with 14 pressure setting or APAP and 14 is the min or max?

Sounds like you need to adjust some settings and also need to stick with using the machine each night even if it does mean some worse sleep for a few nights while changing over.

The following blog post was shared with me about insomnia due to using cpap, might be worth a read.

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:51 pm

RosiesSister wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:54 pm
blows out the sides
Welcome!

You've come to the best resource available for CPAP users.

Here are some suggestions to prevent masks from leaking:
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- Start a thread in cpaptalk asking for help. Subject: Need Help with Mask xxxxxx

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php and https://www.youtube.com/

- CG

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm

gv280z wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:25 pm
14 is just at the low end of any kind productive pressure levels
Where did you get this idea? Just from your own personal experience? Is memory correct that you have frequently posted nonsense here?

There are plenty of people who get very good therapy at lower levels - even as low as 6.0 cm. The median therapeutic pressure for the population of CPAP users has been estimated at 10.0.

So, your post serves no useful purpose for the OP. The OP has to figure out what are good pressure settings for her individual case.

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:26 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm
gv280z wrote:
Where did you get this idea? Just from your own personal experience? Is memory correct that you have frequently posted nonsense here?

There are plenty of people who get very good therapy at lower levels - even as low as 6.0 cm. The median therapeutic pressure for the population of CPAP users has been estimated at 10.0.

So, your post serves no useful purpose for the OP. The OP has to figure out what are good pressure settings for her individual case.
You know, actually I guess I'm guilty of breaking the first law of cpap that what works and is productive for me isn't the case for someone else, so good point on that one, and yes that's my personal experience..which is all I can speak on.

If I'm posting nonsense, it's duely related to the above mentioned, again personal experience and not malicious intent. I don't feel like I've been posting nonsense. I'm still young at 2.5 years and have had a relatively drama free experience so it's all I really know.

I try not to post to a thread unless it's related to a topic that I know I can offer good advice on, I guess I just missed the mark on this one.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:46 pm

gv280z wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:26 pm

You know, actually I guess I'm guilty of breaking the first law of cpap that what works and is productive for me isn't the case for someone else, so good point on that one, and yes that's my personal experience..which is all I can speak on.

If I'm posting nonsense, it's duely related to the above mentioned, again personal experience and not malicious intent. I don't feel like I've been posting nonsense. I'm still young at 2.5 years and have had a relatively drama free experience so it's all I really know.

I try not to post to a thread unless it's related to a topic that I know I can offer good advice on, I guess I just missed the mark on this one.
Now that is the way to man up.

I too have been guilty of talking above my head.
I try to stay in my wheelhouse of knowledge, but have failed miserably at times.
You are ok.
Keep learning and give it another shot sometime.
Trying to help is a good thing.
Just know what you are talking about. :wink:

JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 pm

gv280z wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm
gv280z wrote:

If I'm posting nonsense, it's duely related to the above mentioned, again personal experience and not malicious intent. I don't feel like I've been posting nonsense.
What's "good for" you is very frequently nonsense for someone else.

And that "14 is just at the low end" is total nonsense. many people never even get close to 14.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:39 pm

So, back to the OP. First, being sedated while a pap blows air out a badly leaking mask is a really bad idea. Second, your breathing won't ever "catch up" to the pressure -- that is just not the way this whole thing works.

On to leaks. Very large leaks can impede therapy. But even small leaks can disrupt your sleep. Smaller leaks that don't impede sleep are nothing to worry about. Any size leak that is making it heard to fall asleep, or interrupts your sleep, is worth addressing.

A few tips to start. Watch a few videos on adjusting your particular mask. People often over tighten their mask. Next, adjust the mask with ramp off -- this will help you get a sense of what the seal is like under the pressures you will be using. Still leaking?

If it is the farting noise, you can try a mask liner. I am not a fan but several on here are. You can buy a commercial one or make one from t-shirt type fabric. Still leaking?

Try and figure out where the leak is coming from. You can see if a supplemental strap (or similar) might help. Pad-a-Cheek sells one for some (but not all masks). The same with a chin strap or soft foam collar. Each of these solutions might help in certain situations (but wouldn't help at all in others).

Then we have different size cushions for your mask. And then there are tons of mask models (and several major styles).

So, fix the mask leak problem. It will make everything easier, and much more pleasant.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 pm

RosiesSister wrote:
So I ordered a full face mask, which took a month to get here. I live on a mountain off grid, and I have to run a generator to power the cpap. The face mask might be a bit large, and it keeps waking me up with loud farting around my jowls, but it's a little bit better than the nasal mask.
Not sure of your situation (or your machine) but you might be happier running the machine off of a battery that you charge during the day (via solar or generator) rather than running a generator for one thing. There are a few threads on the topic -- plus typically avoid inverters (efficiency loss); heated tube and heat to humidifier sucks power; certain battery options are better than others (depending on your criteria). That all is a lower priority than figuring out mask fit.
RosiesSister wrote:
Right now we are in the middle of a cold snap, and the air blowing into my face is quite cold, which makes me cough into my mask. It is impossible for me to relax, let alone sleep! But I'm sure this is quite common.
You can warm the air up, at least to some extent. Not sure what machine you have, or what hose you have. In most cases, a heated hose is available. The hose can be further insulated with a hose wrap (easy to find; pad-a-cheek makes a very nice one). The humidifier can be turned up (has the potential to create other issues such as rain out or congestion but might be worth a try. But, again, mask fit is #1.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

RosiesSister

Post by RosiesSister » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm

How do I post pictures?

Geer1

Post by Geer1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pm

RosiesSister wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm
How do I post pictures?
When typing up a reply just below the text box click the Attachments tab and then Add Files button. You can leave attachments at the bottom of post or click the Place Inline button if you want to place it within your text.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 am

gv280z wrote:
I guess I just missed the mark on this one.
Wow! That's a breath of fresh air. You rethought your reply and admitted the mistake. Very seldom heard on the internet. Jimbud is right - a good "man up". Or, woman up.

Happy Thanksgiving!