Not feeling the pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KillMyApnea

Not feeling the pressure

Post by KillMyApnea » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 am

Hi CPAPers,

When I wear my mask and turn on the machine I feel the pressure for a few minutes then I don't. When I feel pressure, it's like I'm exhaling against resistance. When I don't, it's just the lack of resistance. It's like the machine lowers the pressure after a 5 minutes or so. This is a new Dreamstation AutoPAP. I never used another machine so I have nothing to compare it to. Is something wrong with my machine or is that how everyone feels with CPAP?

Several time during the night during sleep, when I momentarily wake up, I feel no pressure from the machine and I have to "think" is the machine on? Then I notice the sound, and maybe put my finger on the mask exhaust to feel the air and go back to sleep.

My machine is on 9.5 cm pressure (no Flex, no Ramp), and I know it is working, but the difference in "feeling" the pressure in the first 5 minutes or so of the night and the rest of the night is puzzling. Do others feel the same, or is it just me/my machine?

rcobourn

Re: Not feeling the pressure

Post by rcobourn » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 am

KillMyApnea wrote:Hi CPAPers,

When I wear my mask and turn on the machine I feel the pressure for a few minutes then I don't. When I feel pressure, it's like I'm exhaling against resistance. When I don't, it's just the lack of resistance. It's like the machine lowers the pressure after a 5 minutes or so. This is a new Dreamstation AutoPAP. I never used another machine so I have nothing to compare it to. Is something wrong with my machine or is that how everyone feels with CPAP?

Several time during the night during sleep, when I momentarily wake up, I feel no pressure from the machine and I have to "think" is the machine on? Then I notice the sound, and maybe put my finger on the mask exhaust to feel the air and go back to sleep.

My machine is on 9.5 cm pressure (no Flex, no Ramp), and I know it is working, but the difference in "feeling" the pressure in the first 5 minutes or so of the night and the rest of the night is puzzling. Do others feel the same, or is it just me/my machine?
If you are using a nasal mask, this could be just your nasal passages relaxing from the perhaps heated and humidified air. Do you get the same feeling if you turn the machine off and immediately back on? Either way, if you are feeling starved for air, turn up the pressure. Anything below 12 and I'm uncomfortable. You may need to up the pressure and turn on the ramp if it's too much at first. It's your therapy so take charge of it and see what works for you. Good luck.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 am

It's likely you acclimating to the pressure.
  • Put an SD Card int your machine,
  • Download OSCAR,
  • Post some graphs
If the device is lower the pressure, it will show up on the graphs.
We will also se if the pressure is adequately addressing your apneas.

Around here [as it should be], the answer is almost always data.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 am

It has nothing to do with the machine lowering or changing the pressure but everything to do with your brain just quickly adjusting to the new normal way of breathing.
It's common. No big deal. I had it myself when I first started cpap therapy. I used to liken it to starting out like I was breathing against hurricane force winds and then within a short bit of time those winds became a gentle breeze.
Initially at the beginning of my therapy I would wake up in the middle of the night and not think the machine was even on.

Next time you feel like there is no pressure or the machine isn't on.....just pull your mask away from your face for a few seconds and you will quickly realize it is indeed on.

It's your brain that has adjusted or normalized breathing with the machine on that is the factor here. Has absolutely nothing to do with your machine at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 am

When I first started cpap, I felt like a Labrador with my head out the car window.
Now when my machine kicks on, there is the gentle flow of good sleepytime air.

willy737

Post by willy737 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:37 am

I’m experiencing the same thing, glad you asked this question. As stated above, seems like it’s just being used to the pressure

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 am
When I first started cpap, I felt like a Labrador with my head out the car window.
Now when my machine kicks on, there is the gentle flow of good sleepytime air.
i've mentioned this before, but it feels to me like gentle little "sips" of air flowing through my nasal pillows.

while my "for her" machine is out to acbio for repair, i'm using my backup philips. what i notice with it is a sudden wallop of air when it first turns on, which quickly dissipates. no such on my resmed.

odd what the brain gets used to, in the end.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm
while my "for her" machine is out to acbio for repair, i'm using my backup philips. what i notice with it is a sudden wallop of air when it first turns on, which quickly dissipates. no such on my resmed.
That's the difference between ResMed's Easy Breathe technology for inhale and exhale transition and Respironics inhale/exhale timing that you are noticing. Easy Breathe is simply a little smoother transition. Very minor difference but once a person is used to it then it is missed when we don't have it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

KillMyApnea

Post by KillMyApnea » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. It's comforting to know it's a common experience for first timers.

Mark Kernes

Post by Mark Kernes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am

I have a Dreamstation bipap machine, and recently, I've noticed that the machine no longer changes pressure when I inhale or exhale. It seems to work fine when I'm just trying to get to sleep, but I often wake up in the middle of the night and can no longer sense any change between the inhale pressure and the exhale pressure; it's as if my bipap machine has turned into a cpap machine. I know there's something wrong with the Dreamstation because I recently hooked up an older Phillips bipap machine (Bipap Plus M Series, without all the bells and whistles of the Dreamstation) and have no problem feeling the pressure differences between inhaling and exhaling. I took the Dreamstation to a repair facility (Lincare) on Friday and when they first turned the machine on, it worked fine for them, so they sent me home with it, but I tried it again last night and had the same problem, so I had to switch back to the M Series, which did allow me to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Mark Kernes wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
I have a Dreamstation bipap machine, and recently, I've noticed that the machine no longer changes pressure when I inhale or exhale. It seems to work fine when I'm just trying to get to sleep, but I often wake up in the middle of the night and can no longer sense any change between the inhale pressure and the exhale pressure; it's as if my bipap machine has turned into a cpap machine. I know there's something wrong with the Dreamstation because I recently hooked up an older Phillips bipap machine (Bipap Plus M Series, without all the bells and whistles of the Dreamstation) and have no problem feeling the pressure differences between inhaling and exhaling. I took the Dreamstation to a repair facility (Lincare) on Friday and when they first turned the machine on, it worked fine for them, so they sent me home with it, but I tried it again last night and had the same problem, so I had to switch back to the M Series, which did allow me to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem?
Use available software to see exactly what the machine is reporting that it is doing in terms of settings and results.
Get or make a manometer to test the pressures in the middle of the night both inhale and exhale.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm
That's the difference between ResMed's Easy Breathe technology for inhale and exhale transition and Respironics inhale/exhale timing that you are noticing. Easy Breathe is simply a little smoother transition. Very minor difference but once a person is used to it then it is missed when we don't have it.
i'm certainly a fan!

i didn't even realize the difference when i switched from resperonics to resmed. and it's not like it's something i didn't (and will again) get used to. just have to coordinate my breathing at first so it doesn't come as a surprise.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Mark Kernes wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
Has anyone else had this problem?
welcome to the zoo!

please do as pugsy suggests.

also, could you start your own thread, please?

thanks!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac