DME Info??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

DME Info??

Post by goose » Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm

I finally found out who the DME is that the sleep center will send the Prescription to....

Anybody have any info on Timberlake in the Sacramento area??

Would appreciate any feedback as I'll soon be dealing with them and would like to be prepared....
I have the added problem of Insurance changing mid stream. My department has been eliminated so has my job, so I'll be changing ins. companies to my wifes coverage at the end of the month....Both ins. companies will be covered by Timberlake and I hope they'll just do a billing transfer rather than have to do the machine return, re-issue crapola.....we'll see....

Thanks a million!!!!!
cheers
gg

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Fri May 18, 2007 8:16 pm

My opinion about all this you mention.
You can get your own prescription and take it to anyone you like. Get your sleep study reports too.

You determine whom you do business with not the sleep lab, and only the insurance company if you use their benefits.

Depending on your level of coverage, you may do as well to buy outright oneline. Especially with the changing of insurance companies, but only you can tell by doing the numbers (copay and deductable...)

If nothing else, buying outright would eliminate a lot of headaches with the insurance change.

Find what machine you want and compare prices at CPAP.com and what a local DME will be charging you in copay and deductable and then decide.

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

point taken

Post by goose » Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Yeah -- I realize all of that good stuff....Thanks for the advice!!!
Both of the insurance coverages will be about the same -- $5 co-pay and about that per month (if that -- still to be determined), so I can't kick at the coverage. I would just prefer not to play the swap-o change-o game. I live very rural so Sacramento is the closest "big city". The DME is the only ballgame in town that is covered by the insurance, so without them I'll be on my own (not necessarily a bad thing!!!!)
I'll have my scrip and report so I can buy a backup for travel.
Again -- great advice!!!! Thanks!!!
cheers
gg

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat May 19, 2007 5:00 am

Goose, you might want to check with larger hospital sleep clinics in Sacramento to see if they will do mask fittings. That way, next time you are in Sacramento, you can arrange to do mask fittings. None of the sleep clinics where I live offer that, but in the closest major city there are at least a couple of them that do mask fittings and have an excellent and varied range of masks.

If your local DME doesn't give you a good variety of masks you will have a way to find one or more that's right for you.

My DME did an ok job, in that I found a mask that is comfortable, but they didn't have the hybrid for me to try on at my fitting as I'd requested in advance. It seems as though, unless you make a federal case they just disregard these requests and go with what they always do.

Since I may want a hybrid for my next mask (when it will be paid for by my insurance) I plan to get a fitting at a clinic and then have my doctor write a script for that mask so they have to get it for me.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sat May 19, 2007 2:25 pm

If you actually have only a $5 monthly copay it may just be worth dealing with whomever you have to. Good luck!