Hello from a soon-to-be hosehead

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carl LaFong

Hello from a soon-to-be hosehead

Post by Carl LaFong » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Greetings, all.

I'm cynical by nature, but I must say I'm genuinely excited about the promise of my upcoming therapy.

Looking back, I believe I've had apnea since my mid-teens, 35 years ago. It wasn't until recently that my fiancee put the hard sell on me to get a sleep a study done if for no other reason than to prove her point. So finally I did just that last month, and had the the good fortune of a split study so it was all done in one night. (My AHI was 70, with no -- zero -- delta sleep and most sleep in NREM 1/2. O2 saturation in the 70s). After titration the numbers showed I was sleeping like a babe, with lots of restorative NREM 3 and O2 way up. My doc called the diagnosis a slam-dunk and wrote the scrip.

So tomorrow I go to pick up my gear and look forward to giving this a whirl!

It's been great reading all your posts and I hope i might be able to contribute to the community in some way in the future.

Slinky

Re: Hello from a soon-to-be hosehead

Post by Slinky » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Carl!!! Read, Read Read tonight BEFORE you go to get your equipment tomorrow or you may well end up coming home w/a bottom of the barrel CPAP!

Do NOT even consider any Resmed CPAP w/Escape in the name.
Do NOT even consider any Respironics or PR SystemOne or REMStar w/Plus in the name.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Nathan1097

Post by Nathan1097 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Woah Slinky. i just had to check my machine's name again!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Do yourself a favor and read "what you need to know BEFORE you meet your DME" in my signature below. You'll be glad you did.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Ya gotta good 'un, Nathan. Forget that REMStar bit tho. Its a jaded name Respironics has tacked on to ALL of their models thru several series of xPAPs. All it tells anyone is that it is a Respironics PAP. And Philips recently bought out Respironics so you will see PR more and more now instead of typing out Respironics. So, to shorten it we would say you have a PR S1 Auto. Good 'un!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Carl LaFong

Post by Carl LaFong » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for the input and I did read the link. My study was done at Johns Hopkins and I also chose them as my DME. I have a lot of confidence in them which is why I chose them in the first place. They are prescribing/recommending the S9 Elite with humidifier and Swift FX pillows, which worked out well during my study. But I'd consider other masks in their inventory.

EO_123

Post by EO_123 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Welcome to the sacred order of the hoseheads.

Do as the other members have suggested and do some research before getting your equipment, it will save you a TON of headache later. Not all machines are created equal, and it's not that hard to get a really good machine. The important thing to know is that your insurance company pays a set fee no matter what machine you get - the person giving you the machine makes the most profit by giving you the least machine. You should also know that the cost difference between the top and bottom machines is not more than roughly $100. (but do NOT accept an offer to 'pay the difference') just know that whatever they are crying about - it's not a lot of money.

2 very popular machines are the ResMed S9 Elite and/or AutoSet. Stay AWAY from anything that says "Escape" or "Escape Auto" they are selling your short. (I've just been through this ordeal myself)

Hope all goes well! Come back and let us know!

Just call me E0_601 ;)

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 am

Slinky wrote:Ya gotta good 'un, Nathan. Forget that REMStar bit tho. Its a jaded name Respironics has tacked on to ALL of their models thru several series of xPAPs. All it tells anyone is that it is a Respironics PAP. And Philips recently bought out Respironics so you will see PR more and more now instead of typing out Respironics. So, to shorten it we would say you have a PR S1 Auto. Good 'un!!!
Huh what? Shaking head . . . I had no idea Phillips bought out Respironics. Where have I been (under rock I guess : )? Where do I go after my beloved Respironics AFlex?

Oh! Where are my manners? WELCOME Carl LaFong! You have already contributed to the forum. You see I just learned the above : )

Carl LaFong

Post by Carl LaFong » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Guess I was mistaken about getting the ResMed device. You can see below what I came home with today. I asked about the S9 Elite and was told that the docs prefer the data quality of the Respironics but I was free to request an equipment change. I figured this would take additional time and delay my therapy so I didn't push it. It's not like buying a car -- it's medical therapy. Plus, I chose these guys because I trust their judgment.

Anyhow, it looks to be a well-made machine. Completely silent and the mask is actually pretty comfy after a good fitting. Looking forward to cuddling up with it tonight!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 pm

That machine will serve you well. If you CHOOSE to track the effectiveness of your treatment, it will provide the data you need. (Most of us here do, but many millions of CPAPers don't...and do just fine.) At least you have the option. Welcome aboard.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Carl LaFong

Post by Carl LaFong » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks, LinkC. I fully intend to monitor the data on my own. Being a techie this stuff fascinates me, and since this is about me and my health I'm even more fascinated. I just need to find some viewer software. . .
Last edited by Carl LaFong on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resister

Post by Resister » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Welcome to the club! You've come to the right place.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 pm

PR S 1 software choices and examples described here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64906&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... re+options

Also check your private message box please.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Welcome! Glad you survived the onslaught of information. Some of these folks here are VERY well informed, and will share ALL of their expertise at the drop of a hat.
(Don't get mad at me, folks. I owe you big time for all the help you've given me. )

Carl LaFong

Post by Carl LaFong » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Yep, everyone here has been a huge help!