Is there a CPAP alternative?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
amw

Is there a CPAP alternative?

Post by amw » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 am

Last night, I was telling someone about my use of a cpap machine. They asked me if there were any alternatives (like surgery to 'fix' an airway that relaxes so easily). I told her I didn't know of any surgery or alternative. Is there such? Her question has me curious. Thanks in advance.

kong

Re: Is there a CPAP alternative?

Post by kong » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 am

Sleeping on your side and weight loss may work fine for mild sleep apnea. Dental appliances often work for people with mild to moderate sleep apnea. For people with severe sleep apnea, CPAP is usually the recommended treatment. However, many people with severe sleep apnea do not continue to use their CPAP machines. For those individuals, treatment with a dental appliance is preferable to no treatment. There are surgeries for sleep apnea, however, these surgeries are often ineffective.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

The trouble with the procedures most often offered is that while they might seem to work for a few months, the problems come right back a good lot of the time by the end of a year and having had the work, it actually creates new problems if you then go back on Cpap...

Losing weight may help if it's major and was the real problem in the beginning, but in fact the great majority of us can lose all we want and still test positive (if to a lesser degree) for apnea afterward, so again, I'd be careful about assuming that it will do the job.

amw

Post by amw » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm

kong,

Thank you for your reply. Although I am not overweight, I have severe sleep apnea. Since receiving my cpap machine, I have used it every time I go to bed. I will continue to use my cpap machine.
kong wrote:Sleeping on your side and weight loss may work fine for mild sleep apnea. Dental appliances often work for people with mild to moderate sleep apnea. For people with severe sleep apnea, CPAP is usually the recommended treatment. However, many people with severe sleep apnea do not continue to use their CPAP machines. For those individuals, treatment with a dental appliance is preferable to no treatment. There are surgeries for sleep apnea, however, these surgeries are often ineffective.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm

In most cases, there are only two alternatives
1: Advanced medical directive
2: Pre-paid funeral arrangements

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:05 pm

There are choices for very mild sleep apnea. That Provent band-aid might work or , like you say, the dental mouthpieces. The surgery works for mild sleep apnea in most cases. What ever happened to those staples ? You know, the ones they stapled in the roof of your mouth ? Did they go out of business ? We have a friend who's sleep apnea was cured when he got off drugs and lost 60 lbs. His wasn't to serious. I had to sleep in the same room with him once and his snoring was just a little " poot " unless he rolled on his back.
If you get the right mask and stay on top of it, you will feel better. You went to get help because you felt bad. cpap stuff is getting better and better. the machines are getting smarter and smaller and quieter (except mine, apparently, since being on the aloha that's all I hear) and the masks are getting smaller and smarter. Why fight it? You start feeling good again. The heart palps go away and your blood pressure comes down. my wife claims that it has helped her hair come in thicker. how can you lose?

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:In most cases, there are only two alternatives
1: Advanced medical directive
2: Pre-paid funeral arrangements
Agreed! This seems really harsh, but it's true. In fact, I was going to note something like this.

Some of us have more complex issues than just obstructive sleep apnea. And even there, there is NO guarantee that weight loss will help. My sleep apnea started when I was a teen. I was actually under ideal weight then. So, I could (and should) loose all this weight I've added since then. I would still have severe obstructive sleep apnea. Sigh! No, for me my choice is to either use it or never need to use it (or anything else) again.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 pm

amw wrote:Last night, I was telling someone about my use of a cpap machine. They asked me if there were any alternatives (like surgery to 'fix' an airway that relaxes so easily). I told her I didn't know of any surgery or alternative. Is there such? Her question has me curious. Thanks in advance.
I have an appointment next month to discuss Provent with the doctor who prescribed my APAP. I'll have to see if it is an option for me. If it is, it would be much less inconvenient than APAP for travel.

pats

Post by pats » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

amw wrote:Last night, I was telling someone about my use of a cpap machine. They asked me if there were any alternatives (like surgery to 'fix' an airway that relaxes so easily). I told her I didn't know of any surgery or alternative. Is there such? Her question has me curious. Thanks in advance.
I have an appointment next month to discuss Provent with the doctor who prescribed my APAP. I'll have to see if it is an option for me. If it is, it would be much less inconvenient than APAP for travel.

(Previously accidentally posted as "Guest")

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:31 pm

See if this fits for you...
  • sypark wrote:Research Opportunity With $375 Honorarium
    A research firm is seeking Obstructive Sleep Apnea patients who are currently using CPAP therapy for a study in the New York area. Candidates must meet ONE of the following criteria:

1. Recently diagnosed and have been on CPAP therapy between 2 weeks to 3 months
    2. Use CPAP therapy intermittently
    3. Have stopped using CPAP therapy within the last 3 months.

It involves an interview and some homework. You must also live in the metro-NYC area. There will be a $375 honorarium if selected.

If you're interested, please contact:

Shaughn Clark

267-507-2529

sclark@schlesingerassociates.com

This is a time sensitive matter, so please respond ASAP.
Find the post here...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76637&p=699492&hili ... ch#p699306

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:40 pm

when all other options fail, there is the T word. i know some people think it's terrible to mention it, but if you have severe apnea and no other possible option works, tracheotomy will work. you pull the plug at night and put it in in the morning. i know a long distance truck driver that had this done and loves it. they have groups like this and call themselves neck breathers.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm

greatunclebill wrote:when all other options fail, there is the T word. i know some people think it's terrible to mention it, but if you have severe apnea and no other possible option works, tracheotomy will work. you pull the plug at night and put it in in the morning. i know a long distance truck driver that had this done and loves it. they have groups like this and call themselves neck breathers.
And for $10 extra you can get a jeweled cigarette holder that locks into the hole, for hands free chores. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Suddenly worn out

Post by Suddenly worn out » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Maybe bariatric surgery with resulting massive weight loss, if you are morbidly obese. I say maybe. Some of sleep apnea has to do with thoracic issues, thoracic anatomy and things like deviated nasal septums, sinus blockages from sinus problems. Losing weight wont fix the anatomical defects, but losing large amounts of weight never hurt anybody, it can only help.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:25 am

I ran across this the other day surfing the web. Its a sort of anatomy mask rather than a dental appliance:

http://www.aralifestyle.com/article.asp ... 927&subid=