Night Sweats

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hopeforsleep

Night Sweats

Post by hopeforsleep » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Anyone else get night sweats?? I have had them for 15 years. I've been treated with hormone therapy, thinking it was menopause related. Didn't help at all even after 3 GYNs telling me they had done all they could. I have had a full cardio work up, all fine. I have been seeing an excellent psychiatrist for 13 years treated for depression. That is well controlled with Cymbalta. She encouraged me to get a sleep study done,which revealed sleep apnea. While the CPap has made a huge difference in my sleep, I'm still waking up coated in sweat 3 times per night. I have to change clothes, sleep on towels, and deal with a wet head. As I posted earlier, I was issued a 'brick' machine so as for now have no access to data, at least right now.
I haven't seen many posts here about night sweats and it would be helpful to hear whether others have these. I know nightsweats can be related to other things such as AIDS, cancer or TB, but I've had several clean AIDS tests, and after 15 years of this I can't see where it could be cancer or TB.

Wulfman...

Re: Night Sweats

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 pm

hopeforsleep wrote:Anyone else get night sweats?? I have had them for 15 years. I've been treated with hormone therapy, thinking it was menopause related. Didn't help at all even after 3 GYNs telling me they had done all they could. I have had a full cardio work up, all fine. I have been seeing an excellent psychiatrist for 13 years treated for depression. That is well controlled with Cymbalta. She encouraged me to get a sleep study done,which revealed sleep apnea. While the CPap has made a huge difference in my sleep, I'm still waking up coated in sweat 3 times per night. I have to change clothes, sleep on towels, and deal with a wet head. As I posted earlier, I was issued a 'brick' machine so as for now have no access to data, at least right now.
I haven't seen many posts here about night sweats and it would be helpful to hear whether others have these. I know nightsweats can be related to other things such as AIDS, cancer or TB, but I've had several clean AIDS tests, and after 15 years of this I can't see where it could be cancer or TB.
It sure would help if you would fill out your profile.
I looked back through your previous posts and you indicated that they had given you a non-data-capable machine.
But, even at that, we don't know what type of mask you're using or the pressure setting your machine is set to.

What you describe (night sweats) is very typical of untreated apnea or ineffective therapy. So, if for example you're using a nasal mask and leaking all of your air out your mouth at night, that would be categorized as ineffective therapy.
It could also be an indicator of Diabetes......if you're experiencing highs or lows during the night......or, any number of other medical conditions.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

grapeshly

Post by grapeshly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:42 pm

If, on the other hand, your nightsweats are related to menopause, you may consider some of the natural remedies that work for many women. Dr. Christiane Northrup (MD) has some useful books on the subject.

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 pm

OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) did an article on menopause today which stated having symptoms for 14 years is not unheard of. Most doctors expect symptoms to subside after 3 years but most doctors are not as informed as they should be.

hopeforsleep

Post by hopeforsleep » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Could someone please enlighten me, how do I fill in the profile?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 pm

How to do the equipment profile. Please use text option instead of icony as the icon images are more difficult to see model names easily at a glance. See how I have done mine.

this link but right now it is giving me an error so I don't know if it will work right now but often these errors aren't something that lasts long.
wiki/index.php/Registering_Equipment_in_User_Profile

Mainly you go to your profile and then the equipment profile...then edit equipment and choose from the menu.
Ignore the software choices as those are way old anyway.
Don't forget to click on submit for the changes to stick.
If you are uncertain as to exactly which choice to make...tell us the brand and model name and we can help sort it out..

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Upper left corner click on user control panel. Next click on Profile. Then go to Edit Equipment. Scroll down until you find your machine, humidifier, and mask. You may need some help here as it can be confusing. Use the text mode because it is easier for people to see which model it is. Pugsy, for some reason the Wiki link would not work for me right now.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 pm

OkyDoky wrote:Pugsy, for some reason the Wiki link would not work for me right now.
Doesn't want to work for me either but it should work. It's the one I use all the time.
I think the Wiki is having problems...let's see if it works tomorrow and if it doesn't we will report it.
Sometimes that error shows up and goes away without us having to do anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 am

Have you checked to see what the side effects of any medication you take are? One of my medications causes excessive sweating. Another one causes me to have night sweats.

As its summer down here, you can imagine how blerk I can feel!

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Blerk?? You do come up with some doozies, Mgaggie. But come to think of it,, I have felt blerk at times.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Diltiazem was a med that threw me back into hot flashes as bad or worse that menopause.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 pm

I posted this on another question on night sweats. Found this http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/nigh ... m-20050768 if you notice Sleep Disorders is on the list.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

cataraftgirl

Post by cataraftgirl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 pm

This might not be helpful to you, but this has been my experience. I was having terrible night sweats, plus getting up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom. I started cpap in August, and it has helped me 100%. I have not had a single episode of night sweats, and rarely get up to use the bathrrom now. I had been chalking it all up to menopause, but it seems that my body was "fighting" with itself all night because of the sleep apnea. If you can determine whether your therapy is really working properly, then maybe you can figure it out. If it's not doing what it's supposed to do, then your body may still be fighting to survive every night. Good Luck to you. I hope you figure it out.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:20 am

herefishy wrote:Blerk?? You do come up with some doozies, Mgaggie. But come to think of it,, I have felt blerk at times.
I was trying to be polite