Extreme dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jackiehmc

Extreme dry mouth

Post by Jackiehmc » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:34 am

I’ve been using a CPAP for 15 years with few problems. Recently I’ve been waking up in the night with extremely dry mouth. I’m not sure why. I also have mouth bubbles forming in my mouth and it seems to me that I am not mouth breathing but that the air flow inside my mouth from the machine is drying out my mouth. Anyone have this problem or any thoughts on how to resolve it? Thank you!

Miss Emerita

Re: Extreme dry mouth

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:32 am

If you're keeping your lips closed, the air bubbles sneaking in shouldn't produce a very dry mouth. This makes me suspect you are mouth-breathing.

One way to check is to try taping your lips for a few days to see whether the dry mouth stops. I'd recommend investing in a box of Somnifix strips for this experiment. Somnifix holds well but is gentle on the skin.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:03 am

Jackiehmc wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:34 am
I’ve been using a CPAP for 15 years with few problems. Recently I’ve been waking up in the night with extremely dry mouth. I’m not sure why. I also have mouth bubbles forming in my mouth and it seems to me that I am not mouth breathing but that the air flow inside my mouth from the machine is drying out my mouth. Anyone have this problem or any thoughts on how to resolve it? Thank you!
Short of mouth breathing (which is pretty likely) the only other way I can see this happening is if you happen to have an unrepaired cleft palate. That's pretty darned UNlikely though.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:27 am

Dry mouth can also be a symptom of diabetes, which can worsen as we age.
Not everything is obvious.
Get your blood sugar tested.

Jackiehmc

Post by Jackiehmc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 am

I am new to this form and using mobile so I am not sure if I am replying to both comments about dry mouth or just one. Thank you to both posters who responded. I am pre-diabetic and monitoring blood sugars closely. Have lost 22 pounds to lower A1c. Regarding mouth breathing I don’t think so but I’m going to tape my mouth shut and see if the problem persists. Thank you again.
Last edited by Jackiehmc on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnl390

Post by cnl390 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Can mouth breathing be detected by reviewing Oscar data?

ResMed AirMini

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm

cnl390 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 pm
Can mouth breathing be detected by reviewing Oscar data?
Not really.
We can see that a leak is occurring, and can see how much of a leak there is, but there's no way to know it's the mouth vs some other leak.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am

Your dry mouth may or may not be the problem I had. I was having a really dry mouth during the night and upon waking in the morning. I have a full face mask and was also having issues with 'drool' inside the mask during the night. My AHI numbers were OK, but not great. I had been using Biotene mouth rinse for dry mouth prior to going to bed and it does help a bit. I assumed my mouth was dropping open during the night, but never realized it. What really eliminated my dry mouth and drool problem was an inexpensive chin strap from Amazon that I put on before the mask. My AHI numbers have been down around 1.0-1.6 since using the chin strap and no more dry mouth problems.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084X ... UTF8&psc=1

Viraj3474

Post by Viraj3474 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am
Your dry mouth may or may not be the problem I had. I was having a really dry mouth during the night and upon waking in the morning. I have a full face mask and was also having issues with 'drool' inside the mask during the night. My AHI numbers were OK, but not great. I had been using Biotene mouth rinse for dry mouth prior to going to bed and it does help a bit. I assumed my mouth was dropping open during the night, but never realized it. What really eliminated my dry mouth and drool problem was an inexpensive chin strap from Amazon that I put on before the mask. My AHI numbers have been down around 1.0-1.6 since using the chin strap and no more dry mouth problems.
Just used your link to the chinstrap you suggested. As luck would have it, it’s currently unavailable. Is the chinstrap you use one that pulls your chip straight up? It looks like it. The ones that pull the chin back really hurt my jaw.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Viraj3474 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm
Grumpy48 wrote:
Just used your link to the chinstrap you suggested. As luck would have it, it’s currently unavailable. Is the chinstrap you use one that pulls your chip straight up? It looks like it. The ones that pull the chin back really hurt my jaw.
Oops, sorry about that. Products do tend to come and go on Amazon. It may come back, sometimes by a different seller. There are a few on Amazon that look similar in design, but I can't tell from the pictures how adjustable they might be.

Yes it pulls the chin up and the strap on the top of the head is adjustable for the degree of upward pull by a Velcro strip. It doesn't seem to take much pull to keep my mouth closed, so it hardly feels like I'm wearing it. There is a Velcro in the back as well to fasten when putting on

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Sometimes I spontaneously drool out of the corner of my mouth.
Usually when I am cooking.
I had no idea I was THAT good!

Viraj3474

Post by Viraj3474 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:23 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 pm
Viraj3474 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm
Grumpy48 wrote:
Oops, sorry about that. Products do tend to come and go on Amazon. It may come back, sometimes by a different seller. There are a few on Amazon that look similar in design, but I can't tell from the pictures how adjustable they might be.

Yes it pulls the chin up and the strap on the top of the head is adjustable for the degree of upward pull by a Velcro strip. It doesn't seem to take much pull to keep my mouth closed, so it hardly feels like I'm wearing it. There is a Velcro in the back as well to fasten when putting on
Well, I just placed an order for the "Knightsbridge" dual strap chin strap. I emailed them with a couple of questions before ordering and the fellow writing back is the owner (and inventor??) of this chin strap. He got back to me immediately. If anyone here is having sleep or leak problems, maybe you might check Knightsbridge out. I Googled it to get the right website. They seem to be really nice people and you can return the product if you ship it back within two weeks. They will exchange straps too if the size isn't right for you. I asked them about how often the strap has to be replaced and they responded that it's about six months or more. That sounded good to me cause the strap I've been using lasts three months. I might save $$$$ in the long run. The testimonials are good there at the website. I'll post back and let you know if it stops my dry mouth and leakage problems.

Viraj3474

Post by Viraj3474 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am

Jackiehmc wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:34 am

Hey Jackie, take a look at my post right above this one. I'm going to try the Knightsbridge chinstrap. It has very good testimonials. I'll post back to this thread after I try it out. Viraj

MarkCPAPguy

Post by MarkCPAPguy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 am

by MarkCPAPguy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am

Does your CPAP have a humidifier?
Have you talked to your sleep doctor about this?
Have you asked the manufacturer?
Do you smoke anything right before bedtime?

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 am

MarkCPAPguy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 am
by MarkCPAPguy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am

Does your CPAP have a humidifier?
Have you talked to your sleep doctor about this?
Have you asked the manufacturer?
Do you smoke anything right before bedtime?
mark?

we can see your name,date and time posted from the forum stamp. no need to type it in again.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg