Chronic dry mouth from CPAP therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPgeo

Chronic dry mouth from CPAP therapy

Post by CPAPgeo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am

Hi all,

I've been on CPAP therapy for the last ~5 years, although have recently started to have a consistently dry mouth during therapy, resulting in me waking up to slosh my mouth with water several times throughout the evening. It is becoming so dry it is painful. I have contacted my CPAP provider and GP, although there has been no consensus as to the root cause. My mask fit is essentially 100%, the humidifier is functioning correctly (and has been replaced), I have upgraded to heated tubing, tried several different full face/nasal masks, tried wearing a chinstrap with the mask and stay hydrated/avoid alcoholic drinks before bed.

I'm a fit, healthy, 27 year old man currently using a Dreamstation with a ResMed AirFit F30 mask.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or could offer some suggestions? The only occasion when I do not have dry mouth is when I used to mouthtape and use a nasal mask (I stopped doing this on the providers suggestion).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

C

Additional Comments: OSCAR software

KingSnore

Re: Chronic dry mouth from CPAP therapy

Post by KingSnore » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 am

Maybe a recent change in sleeping position? I haven't had dry mouth since I started using the PAP-Cap chinstrap. I've tried others but they tended to be not secure enough that I could feel certain it'd keep my mouth closed, and it was a not infrequent problem for me in my early going as well.

Oh, I had surgery maybe two years into my CPAP treatment to repair a deviated septum. That made breathing through my nose a much more pleasant experience and reduced nights of dry mouth so much.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am

On any meds?
Change dosage of any meds?
What is your humidity setting?
Any nasal congestion going on that might cause you to need to mouth breathe more than usual?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 am

CPAPgeo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am
Hi all,
welcome to the zoo!
CPAPgeo wrote:
Has anyone had a similar experience, or could offer some suggestions?
i will let the smarter folk discuss how to eliminate the dry mouth.

the suggestion i have is to use a product called xylimelts. it's a wee lozenge that fits between cheek and gum, slowly dissolving overnight to help promote saliva production.

the can be found in the oral care section of some drugstores or online at-

https://www.amazon.com/XyliMelts-Dry-Mo ... B001A42R1A

i've used these for years and they really work.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

CPAPgeo

Post by CPAPgeo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 am

Thanks for all your feedback, I have a few short term and long term things to look into now!
KingSnore wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 am
Oh, I had surgery maybe two years into my CPAP treatment to repair a deviated septum. That made breathing through my nose a much more pleasant experience and reduced nights of dry mouth so much.
I broke my nose years ago, and never went to the hospital - I will get in touch with GP and mention this, especially as it's not visible/pronounced anymore. Thanks!
Pugsy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am
On any meds?
Change dosage of any meds?
What is your humidity setting?
Any nasal congestion going on that might cause you to need to mouth breathe more than usual?
No meds - usually 1 for hose, 3 for humidity. I was using Otrivine, which really helped short term, although used it so often I needed to remain decongested. Admittedly, I never read all the instructions and they state to not use for longer than a week due to the active ingredient (xylometazoline from memory?)
zonker wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 am

the suggestion i have is to use a product called xylimelts. it's a wee lozenge that fits between cheek and gum, slowly dissolving overnight to help promote saliva production.

good luck!
I have just ordered some, worth a shot for a tenner!

Thanks for all your input, it is very much appreciated

Additional Comments: OSCAR software

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 am

CPAPgeo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 am
zonker wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 am

good luck!
I have just ordered some, worth a shot for a tenner!

Thanks for all your input, it is very much appreciated
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pattisjoy

Post by Pattisjoy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:22 am

I dealt with dry mouth from my Cpap machine for two years before finally figuring out how to avoid it. First change I made was from a Cpap machine to a Bipap. Definently a much better machine for me. I also purchased heated tubing and chin strap. The chin strap helped, since, I had been using tape, or I'd sleep with gum or mints . I changed the humidity level to get more humidity and finally I rarely dealt with dry mouth.
If I do get dry mouth i keep Ice Breaker cool mints close by. Ice breakers contain Xylitol, which really helps. I used the melts your purchasing, but, for me they'd only last couple hours. So for me, Bipap machine, heating tubing, chin strap and an increase in the humidity was the answer. Hope this helps.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:42 pm

CPAPgeo wrote:

... have recently started to have a consistently dry mouth during therapy, resulting in me waking up to slosh my mouth with water several times throughout the evening. It is becoming so dry it is painful.
-----
The only occasion when I do not have dry mouth is when I used to mouthtape and use a nasal mask (I stopped doing this on the providers suggestion).
Curious. What reason did your provider give for suggesting that you stop putting tape over your mouth?
Any particular reason other than in their opinion it could be "dangerous?"
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ElusiveSleep

Post by ElusiveSleep » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 am

CPAPgeo wrote:
The only occasion when I do not have dry mouth is when I used to mouthtape and use a nasal mask (I stopped doing this on the providers suggestion).
If there is no dry mouth when you use tape, then it's caused by mouth breathing. You can get an idea of the severity of mouth breathing by monitoring your leak rate. Frequent large leaks (>24 L/min) are a problem.

I use a soft cervical collar to decrease mouth breathing. However, my mouth breathing has increased in the past month relative to the previous three. Corresponding to this is frequent nasal congestion. In a recent visit with an ENT doctor, he told me it is due to a deviated septum. It's likely a tissue part called the turbinate is inflamed as well, which is a complication of a deviated septum. He prescribed an OTC nasal wash called Alkalol and it has been the best of these types at reducing the nasal congestion.

I also have a consult scheduled with a facial surgeon to get more info on a corrective procedure for fixing the nasal plumbing problem.