New user having hard time getting used to machine.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Txman81

New user having hard time getting used to machine.

Post by Txman81 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi all. I’m new here and just started using cpap. When I did my sleep studies, I would panic and pull the mask off. Now that I have my own, I’m doing the same thing. Real problem is, even after taking it off, I have small attacks where I feel like I can’t breathe. I was recently offshore, and a guy in my room had a machine. I only slept about 3 hours a night the 4 nights he was in my room. Just the sound of his machine made me feel like I can’t breathe. I can lay in bed and watch tv with it on, no problem. It’s only when I start falling asleep. I took melatonin to try and help to no avail. Any suggestions or helpful hints that I can try? I really want this machine to be life changing for me. Tired of being sluggish all day everyday.

grapeshly

Re: New user having hard time getting used to machine.

Post by grapeshly » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:43 pm

I have no experience with panic attacks, but...is it due to feeling claustrophobic? Or stifled, as if you can't breathe?

Some ideas:
Are you wearing a face mask? This is what I've observed is a common cause for panic. It is made worse if the face mask doesn't fit right, and if it doesn't fit right, it won't help your sleep apnea. Your panic might be because you can sense your breathing is in trouble.

Are you a mouth breather or a nose breather? A mouth breather will need a face mask, and it can be a bit of trouble finding a face mask that is comfortable and doesn't leak. (Leaks are what prevents the CPAP machine from being effective. And when it's not effective, your sleep apnea continues unabated.) If you're a nose breather, you might try a nose mask, or better yet, a nasal pillow mask. These only cover your nose, so they are less panic-inducing. Also, you may have learned to be a mouth breather at night BECAUSE of your sleep apnea. If so, you may want to consider re-training yourself. (There are tricks to help you with this) On the other hand a nose blockage such as a deviated septum, or allergies causing your nose to always be blocked may mean that you can't really breathe through your nose. A face mask is your only option.

Also, do you have a standard, fixed pressure CPAP? If so, your pressure may be set too low or too high. Either one can cause breathing problems -- which in turn causes panic.

If none of these are the root of your trouble, there are other tips on the pinned threads that walk you through how to resolve the panic at wearing a mask. It is a not uncommon problem, and people have worked through this and have given advice to others here.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Txman81 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:32 pm
Hi all. I’m new here and just started using cpap. When I did my sleep studies, I would panic and pull the mask off. Now that I have my own, I’m doing the same thing. Real problem is, even after taking it off, I have small attacks where I feel like I can’t breathe. I was recently offshore, and a guy in my room had a machine. I only slept about 3 hours a night the 4 nights he was in my room. Just the sound of his machine made me feel like I can’t breathe. I can lay in bed and watch tv with it on, no problem. It’s only when I start falling asleep. I took melatonin to try and help to no avail. Any suggestions or helpful hints that I can try? I really want this machine to be life changing for me. Tired of being sluggish all day everyday.
You've given us absolutely NO information to go on.
machine?, Settings? (air pressure setting(s)? Humidity settings, etc, etc.
Have you ever tried using it to take naps or rjust when you've tried to sleep?
This is like saying "my car isn't running right.......what's wrong?"

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm

A few suggestions:

1. As Wulfman pointed out, if you give us information we can help you check to see that your machine is really giving you optimal treatment. A common cause for panic attacks in the beginning is the use of the ramp feature. It's meant for comfort under the theory that you are going to be asleep before the machine comes on at a higher pressure, but the reality is that it makes you feel like you aren't getting enough air and triggers panic attacks. So telling us your machine and settings will help us determine if that is a factor (among many other things!).

2. If the noise bothers you, try some "white noise" to mask it. Some people use a fan. Other people use a sound machine or other device to provide ambient sound. There are all sorts of options, many free online. I have a bed partner, so I use inexpensive sleep phones which are a headband with built in flat speakers that I can hear without disturbing my husband. I prefer the sound of calm human voices so I listen to podcasts, some people like nature sounds, or relaxation music. There are also apps that teach relaxation techniques.

3. Panic attacks in the beginning are common. Here's how I conquered mine:
A. I made a commitment to myself that I would NOT sleep without CPAP.
B. When I panicked, I made myself count to 10 SLOWLY while breathing deeply without removing the mask. If I made it to a count of 10, I tried another count of 10. If I had to remove the mask (read that "throw it across the room in the early days") I had to put it back on. I did this over and over again, until my body started to finally relax with the mask on, and I would fall asleep again in the 2nd or 3rd count of 10.
C. If I panicked thinking that there was no air, simply putting your hand in front of the mask vent showed me otherwise.
D. I started in a full face mask, and I explored every square centimeter of that mask to learn how the anti-asphyxiation valve worked and convince myself it would not fail. That helped, too.

We encourage you to practice with the mask while awake, listening to music or reading a book or watching tv. That will help your body acclimate to the sensations when you are awake and fully in control.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:53 pm

From your narrative you have pointed out two things that may be clues:
1) The sound of a CPAP (not yours) causes you to feel like you can not breathe.
2) You have "attacks" (can't breathe) even when you do not have a mask on, (but is the CPAP off or silent?).
Do I have that right?
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

KEEPER4560

Post by KEEPER4560 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:43 am

As others have stated.... the more information you can give us the better. Machine used, mask type/brand... settings... etc.

I have been using a nose mask for about a week. I am new to this whole CPAP thing so. I understand to a degree your concern. Still trying to learn my way.... but everybody here is helpful and here to assist!

Don't give up!

Alex

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:40 pm

In my opinion, the traditional mantra of "you need a full face mask if you mouth breathe" needs to be rethought. Unless there is a physical problem with you nose (such as a deviated septum), you may not need a FFM. I have turned to mouth taping to tame my mouth leaks, using the 2" wide MedVance silicon tape available on Ama***. This stops the problem without removing a layer of skin when I take the tape off in the morning.

I am aware that there are some fairly outrageous claims that mouth taping is dangerous for 2 reasons:
  • If you need to vomit in the middle of the night, you can aspirate the vomit. When was the last time you needed to vomit in the middle of the night? In any case, the silicone tape can be quickly removed.
  • You could asphyxiate if there is a power outage. You can inhale through a CPAP mask via the exhale ports built into it. Plus, it is likely you would automatically awaken if this situation occurred.
Bottom line - I recommend trying mouth taping as an alternative to FFM.

Then again, I am just another CPAPer -- not an expert nor a physician.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask