Tape alternative and a ataboy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bigd

Tape alternative and a ataboy

Post by Bigd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello all
First thanks to some one that posted the link to get the Resmed software. Went down to Wallmart and got a $15 card reader and I was up and looking at very impressive graphs. Every thing was very easy to install.
Next. I am a mouth leaker. I just could not find a full faced mask that did not have leak issues so I turned to tape as many of you have done. Problem was every time I coughed it blew the tape off. I keep my jaw shut but after I start sleeping and relax the air blows through my lips. I have found that the self sticking ace type bandage works great. They have enough sticky to keep my lips togather with out having to really get the thing tight. I make a pass over my mouth and around the back of my head to make a loop. I can reuse it for about 5 sleep periods before it gets dirty. I tried washing it but due to the sticky surface it will not really wash. The good part is that if you have to you can open your mouth to breath through it or use it to disguise your voice for those late night calls to your ex . I don't think it would be strong enough for those that open their jaw but it might be worth the try. Also since it is made to go agenst human skin the chemical glue does not irritate. At leat me it doesn't. I just can't thank every one who contributes here enough. Your support, experiences and ideas are an invaluable resource.
Bigd

Janknitz

Re: Tape alternative and a ataboy

Post by Janknitz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

The good part is that if you have to you can open your mouth to breath through it or use it to disguise your voice for those late night calls to your ex .
Now we know!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Bigd wrote:The good part is that if you have to you can open your mouth to breath through it or use it to disguise your voice for those late night calls to your ex .
That was you?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

newname

Post by newname » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:35 pm

What is the name of the card reader you bought at Walmart? I'd love to get one.

Bigd

Post by Bigd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Hello
The card reader was a Targus Universal 33 in 1 card writer reader. In acuality it was $13. Piece of cake to install. Have a great nights sleep.
Bigd

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Try the non-sticky 3 inch Ace bandage, cut to length and use safety pins to make a loop. Stays much cleaner, is less icky, and could probably be washed. You might want two turns on the loop if you find yourself breathing through it too easily. I use an Ace bandage as a chinstrap and have experimented with using another one in "gag" fashion like this.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 pm

For those looking for a card reader, Amazon has a TON of them. For example, this one is 6 bucks plus shipping, and will read the SD card format that most newer machines use.
http://www.amazon.com/ELAGO-Speed-Memor ... 815&sr=8-5

I haven't worked with that particular reader before, but for 6 bucks, how wrong can you go? It will NOT hurt your computer =)

If you want a bit more fancy, about $12 gets you a Kingston multi-card reader that will also work for your digital camera memory and others.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Me ... 815&sr=8-1

Kingston is one of the "gold standard" brands for anything memory related, including SD cards and other flash media. IMHO, worth the price, but it definitely does more than you need for reading your machine's SD card.

newname

Post by newname » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am

How does this card reader work? I'm assuming it won't read the "smart card"???? I'm only familiar with an sd card in my camera.
What machines use an sd card? I'm due for a new machine in a few months.
Would I just take the card out of the machine and stick it in my laptop and it would read the data?

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 pm

I know the S9 Elite and Auto both have SD cards, not sure on the other brands as I have not used them myself.

The S8 from ResMed does NOT use a standard SD card, so avoid that one.

In the S9, the card is the same as the SD card in your camera, just much bigger capacity. Most cameras come with 256mb or 512mb cards. The one in the machine is 1GB.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:30 pm

newname wrote:How does this card reader work? I'm assuming it won't read the "smart card"???? I'm only familiar with an sd card in my camera.
What machines use an sd card? I'm due for a new machine in a few months.
Would I just take the card out of the machine and stick it in my laptop and it would read the data?

The smart card in your current Legacy machine requires a very special card reader and special software.

The newer machines have SD cards that will plug right into the SD slot if your computer has one or use a generic card reader and USB port.

Looking at new machines? Then look at the Respirionics PR System One CPAP Auto with AFlex which is the APAP version. Like the one in my profile equipment.

ResMed version is the S9 AutoSet.

Software is available for both.

On screen data is available on both. ResMed offers much more on screen. Respironics just offers their usual 7/30 day average numbers and large leak percentage, which is pretty much useless.

So PR line of machine in Respironics and the S9 in ResMed use the SD card for data storage. So much easier than the old smart cards and special card readers that are needed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.