Stop Smoking, Only makes it worse!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gazby

Stop Smoking, Only makes it worse!

Post by Gazby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:14 am

I quit smoking over 4 months ago and since then I cant get back to how I was happily plodding along with my resmed, now I cant keep my mask on for more than a few hours without ripping it off in my sleep again, I spend more time now without than with. I think people should be warned that quitting smoking will seriously mess up your cpap or apap, Ive now been 4 months without one good nights sleep on my machine!!!

TalonNYC

Re: Stop Smoking, Only makes it worse!

Post by TalonNYC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Gazby:

Can you fill in the equipment section of your profile (link to User Control Panel is below the search bar, upper left)? Lots of folks here have tips and hints for keeping the mask on, but we need to know what mask you have =)

Meanwhile, how long were you smoking for? If it was many years, your body might be taking a longer amount of time to completely undo the short-term side effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 am

Evidently it is going to take some time for you to adjust. Meanwhile please do not start smoking again! ]That will only harm your health more.
Good for you for quitting and good luck.

Gazby

Post by Gazby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 am

Data filled in.

I usually use a mp3 player which normally does the trick but it seems that when I have an event the preasure that my body needs is far to high for my lungs to cope with not sure what my AHI is of late or my VSI. My equipment belongs to the NHS which is why Im not allowed to download the data (Dont have cards).

I have a vast knowledge of my condition due to being a member on other forums for over a year but always open to new ideas, thanks

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am

Are you using nicotine replacement therapy (like a patch)?

Gazby

Post by Gazby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am

Gave all them up after a month now on nothing but will power

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 am

Hmm, well I'm stumped. hopefully someone else in the forum will have more info.

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 pm

I heard that nicotine relaxes the throat making OSA worse. Could it be that having quit you may require
a different pressure ?

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 pm

I would suggest that you blow a weekend and go on a binge.

Assuming that you are busy during the week, when the weekend rolls around sleep the best you can on Friday night, then get up on Saturday and start your day. As soon as you feel fatigue, put your equipment and take a nap. When you wake up go on with your day until you feel fatigued again. Then take another nap. Repeat as often as needed.

Do the same on Sunday.

By the time Monday rolls around, you will have picked up on some much needed sleep and will have recharged yourself a little.

While this is no substitute for a good nights sleep, it may help steer you back on track.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

The first time I noticed a problem with my breathing, was about 2 weeks after I quit smoking. I used an electronic cigarette. I went to the Dr for severe swelling in my feet and lower legs. I also remember telling him that when I went to bed at night, it seemed like I had to think about breathing, that I would forget to breathe. (Sleep onset central apneas?) He looked at me funny and that was the end of it. Sent me for a stress in reference to the swelling. 18 months later I was in his office demanding a sleep study because my brain was malfunctioning when I awakened.

There is another recent thread around here about quitting smoking. I agree that you might need less pressure, but I'll be waiting to hear how this turns out for you.

Many people don't realize that it's not just about nicotine addiction. There are several hundred different chemicals added to the tobacco in cigarettes and other tobacco alkaloids that effect the brain.

Gazby

Post by Gazby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 pm

Getting more sleep is just not an option! Im a full time carer and also a nightshift worker, I have a six hour window to sleep if I dont get any its off to work on a strong coffee.

I dont beleive that my preasure needs changing as I use APAP and not a fix preasure. Why it all changed Im not sure but something did, it was like I went right back to page 1 of OSA. Having got threw all the ups and downs of mask leaks and rainout and a sore face its no fun having to start all over again. Was it worth giving up, I have to be truthfull and say yes it was well worth it. I guess I will just have to practise what I preach and start again hopefully I will overcome my problems again!

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 am

I smoked for over 40 years then I quit by using a personal vaporizer that I used nicotine in at first. Now I use 0 nicotine and I have that thing stuck in my mouth just like I was getting an addictive drug out of it. I don't understand why I am so addicted to steam but I am not going to worry about it. I am not smoking.

Medwaymedic

Post by Medwaymedic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Don't sound like you have much will power Gazby do you give up so easily on everything .

I quit smoking 5 months ago and its been a breeze over but perhaps im more determined than you and can tolerate cpap better .

Keep trying loser.
Medway-Medic at your service .

Paper_Nanny

Post by Paper_Nanny » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Gazby wrote:I think people should be warned that quitting smoking will seriously mess up your cpap or apap, Ive now been 4 months without one good nights sleep on my machine!!!
I quit smoking six and a half years ago, way before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I got a ton of information and support from whyquit.com. Much information about all the changes your body goes through after you quit smoking. Many more changes than I realized would happen. So, I am not surprised that your xpap is not working the same as it did. There might be information on whyquit.com about that issue. And if there isn't already, you could post there and maybe someone has some information and experience to share with you.

Whatever you do, don't go back to smoking!! It really is an addiction and if you start up again, even if you think it is just one cigarette, your brain chemsitry gets right back to the craving and the needing the nicotine to feel okay. So many people have lost a good quit because they think, "I can have just one" and they were wrong. Please don't let that happen to you.

Deborah

PR System One BiPAP Auto SV Advanced

eiffeltower1

Post by eiffeltower1 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:47 am

Gazby

I would carry on smoking, your going to die anyway if you quit.

eiffeltower