Skin rash from nasal mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kenneth P.

Skin rash from nasal mask

Post by Kenneth P. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Anyone having problem's with rash's on face.Since switching to nasal I have a place on my nose where the seal rides & Ihave several spot's that are raw.If anyone have any suggestion's please be kind to share..Thank's

harry33

Re: Skin rash from nasal mask

Post by harry33 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:28 pm

soak mask and airhose in warm soapy water to relmove chemicals
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Kenneth P,
Since switching to nasal I have a place on my nose where the seal rides & Ihave several spot's that are raw.
I second Harry33's point and have two other suggestions:

* to help your skin heal, you might try using Lansinoh lanolin on the raw spots at night. It helps to keep the skin supple, and provides a barrier between the skin and the mask. You'll find it in the baby aisle at the store because nursing moms use it.

* sometimes the plastic is irritating to the skin because moisture collects between the plastic and the skin. RemZzzs can help with this and add to comfort. http://www.remzzzs.com/category-s/50.htm They come in nasal mask and full face mask sizes.

Good luck,

Happy Sleeper

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Kenneth,
One thing that I do is to switch masks if I have any pressure issues. I have a nasal mask that fits and works good as well as a FF mask. So if there's any skin irritation or sore areas, I just use the other mask for a week. I started doing that when the ComfortGel nasal made my upper lip sore. I know I'm not the only one to do this. My FF mask is a Quattro and it has a seal that requires little pressure.

Very important to keep the seal clean and also wash face before masking up. I also use the Tee shirt fabric gasket trick quite successfully. I highly recommend that. Good luck,
Jamis

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:45 pm

I had a bad skin rash right away with my ResMed Mirage Micro. I switched to the Mirage FX and have had no issues. For me the finish on the silicone seemed to be the issue. The FX has a satin finish while the Micro has a gloss finish. If washing off the chemicals and cleaning daily doesn't help try switching finishes.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:53 am

Thank You..I will pick some up.This is just minor issue.Loving my nasal mask.Sleeping so much better.
happysleeper wrote:Hi Kenneth P,
Since switching to nasal I have a place on my nose where the seal rides & Ihave several spot's that are raw.
I second Harry33's point and have two other suggestions:

* to help your skin heal, you might try using Lansinoh lanolin on the raw spots at night. It helps to keep the skin supple, and provides a barrier between the skin and the mask. You'll find it in the baby aisle at the store because nursing moms use it.

* sometimes the plastic is irritating to the skin because moisture collects between the plastic and the skin. RemZzzs can help with this and add to comfort. http://www.remzzzs.com/category-s/50.htm They come in nasal mask and full face mask sizes.

Good luck,

Happy Sleeper

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:00 am

You are so right.I love the mask&was noticing last night.I really don't think it is coming from the mask.Unless,it is riding up my noses at night.Like I said to other post it is a minor issue .Sleeping so much better now.I'm using Advance Home Heathcare in High Point,NC.They have alway's been great.The guy I see.He has been on machine for yrs&has been a great help.Everyone told me I couldn't use a nasal because I slept with my mouth open.He was the only one to say you have nothing to loose by trying.He said the he has found if you can get enough air down your noses you will sleep with mouth shut.Well,so far so good.
KrisasMan wrote:I had a bad skin rash right away with my ResMed Mirage Micro. I switched to the Mirage FX and have had no issues. For me the finish on the silicone seemed to be the issue. The FX has a satin finish while the Micro has a gloss finish. If washing off the chemicals and cleaning daily doesn't help try switching finishes.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

After more than a year of using nasal pillows (not the same ones all the time!), I went back to my old Zest nasal mask. Made a huge difference in leak rates (previously I had struggled with the Zest). Thought it was a mouth open problem. However, now I realize that when I keep the leaks under control I sleep much better. Adjusting the pillows seems to be more difficult than with the nasal mask, and the seal gets disturbed when I move during the night - the Zest seems to be much more tolerant. Only problem with the Zest is the rash on the bridge of the nose - I hope that's just a temporary thing. I will be visiting my DME next week to get a new Zest, which will at least solve that problem. I also learned that the Zest leaks more when I had moleskin on it to try and reduce the rash. Obviously a little rash is preferable to leaks that prevent good therapy! There is so much to learn about this therapy, and the DMEs and docs (at least the ones I have had!) don't tell you all these little secrets ...

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:30 am

Yes,very blessed that I have a great people to work with.Plus,they give me a 90 day return policy.That's why he said we had nothing to loose.
SleepyToo2 wrote:After more than a year of using nasal pillows (not the same ones all the time!), I went back to my old Zest nasal mask. Made a huge difference in leak rates (previously I had struggled with the Zest). Thought it was a mouth open problem. However, now I realize that when I keep the leaks under control I sleep much better. Adjusting the pillows seems to be more difficult than with the nasal mask, and the seal gets disturbed when I move during the night - the Zest seems to be much more tolerant. Only problem with the Zest is the rash on the bridge of the nose - I hope that's just a temporary thing. I will be visiting my DME next week to get a new Zest, which will at least solve that problem. I also learned that the Zest leaks more when I had moleskin on it to try and reduce the rash. Obviously a little rash is preferable to leaks that prevent good therapy! There is so much to learn about this therapy, and the DMEs and docs (at least the ones I have had!) don't tell you all these little secrets ...

TheNoseKnows

Post by TheNoseKnows » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:41 pm

I just tried out a new product - a fabric gasket that you just place over the gasket of the mask before you slap it on your face. The gasket prevents skin-mask contact, provides a superior seal, and greatly reduces the soreness from having the mask against your face. A ridiculously simple and stupid-looking thing that works superbly!

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:33 am

TheNoseKnows wrote:I just tried out a new product - a fabric gasket that you just place over the gasket of the mask before you slap it on your face. The gasket prevents skin-mask contact, provides a superior seal, and greatly reduces the soreness from having the mask against your face. A ridiculously simple and stupid-looking thing that works superbly!

Where can I get one of these fabric gaskets? Just switched to the zest nasal mask and the bridge of my nose is raw, red and irritated. I think I will love this mask but I can't deal with the irritation.

driegler

Post by driegler » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:35 pm

I had the same problem, I had the wrong size mask. I went to a softer different mask without the second layer in the bridge area and no problems now, hope it helps.

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Guest wrote:
TheNoseKnows wrote:I just tried out a new product - a fabric gasket that you just place over the gasket of the mask before you slap it on your face. The gasket prevents skin-mask contact, provides a superior seal, and greatly reduces the soreness from having the mask against your face. A ridiculously simple and stupid-looking thing that works superbly!

Where can I get one of these fabric gaskets? Just switched to the zest nasal mask and the bridge of my nose is raw, red and irritated. I think I will love this mask but I can't deal with the irritation.
http://www.padacheek.com/

Recommended here viewtopic/t79902/Mask-Liners.html
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

babsmayo1@gmail.com

Post by babsmayo1@gmail.com » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi I have worn a nasel mask for over 10 years and in that time have never had any problems . This year I have tried 2 different mask that have caused my skin to turn red and break out . So my question would be what type of material are they using in the mask now to cause these problems .

Barb.

Cpap43

Post by Cpap43 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Hello, I have a problem and if anyone can help me out I will gladly appreciate. Since using the face mask I noticed a sore spot on the side of my nose where the nasal pillow surrounds on the side. I wash my nasal pillow daily as instructed but I noticed it is getting worse and I am trying to find out what can heal this spot which is beginning to spread along the nasal spot which was just on the upper part on the side like the crease of my nose. Help, I am getting irritated but I have to wear it every night....Thanks!