Problems - Software for Resmed S8 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crookneez

Problems - Software for Resmed S8 Autoset

Post by crookneez » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi all,
I have a Resmed S8 Autoset (no humidifier) and after 12-13 years of very successful CPAP use I'm now running into problems.

Firstly, my wife now complains about the air blowing onto her and the noise of the machine. Never been an issue before.
It seems my mouth has begun opening from time to time (I think mainly in the early morning) and she complains about me "blowing raspberries" (and no she's generally not a whiner)
I've noticed too that for some reason that the thing seems to leak much more often than in the past.

I sleep all night on my back so rolling over and sleeping on my side isn't as issue.

There are two things that I can think of that seem to have coincided with these problems.
1) I have lost 30kg in weight lately. I don't know how this would alter things but who knows?
2) Some months ago we had many severe electrical storms and on in particular where we lost power for quite some time. I'm wondering if the S8 may have suffered damage?

Is there some software available that would allow me to look at my sleep patterns over the past few months and see what is happeneing?
I was considering buying the new S9 Autoset but wanted to try and isolate the mask problems first.

derek70

Re: Problems - Software for Resmed S8 Autoset

Post by derek70 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 am

If your problem is leaks, swaping S8 for S9 won't solve it.
You can get leak data out of S8 with a (expensive) proprietary card reader (i bought one for U$56 in ebay from one guy from Israel).
S9 uses a SD card (the same used in digital cameras), easy to read.
You can get more data with a S9 (air flow, central apneas, etc).
Sleepyhead don't work with S8, you'll need Resmed Rescan software.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am

What mask are you using? Does it cover the mouth?
Perhaps the weight loss has affected facial structure to the point that the mask doesn't fit right?
Different size maybe? Different model maybe needs to be tried?

The ResMed Autoset S9 is a really sweet machine but it won't fix leak issues or mouth breathing issues but it is easier to get to the software data to show you just how much leaks might be impacting things.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Are you using your AutoSet in Auto or in CPAP mode?
Most likely your weight loss has reduced the pressure you need and your pressure now is high enough to cause the leaks.
If using it in CPAP mode switch it to APAP mode and see what pressure change you get and if it solves or reduces any problems.
As Pugsy suggested your face has most likely lost tissue as well and you may need to be refitted w/a different size or entirely different mask.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.