Is Oral Dental Appliance Worth Considering?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
edm_msu

Re: Is Oral Dental Appliance Worth Considering?

Post by edm_msu » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:21 am

Since I have been using the dental appliances ALONG with my CPAP --my jaw feels so much better. they are not designed to use alone with no CPAP. This dentist does make a device to use along with a cpap mask as well.
Why would someone use a dental appliance along with CPAP? Wouldn't it be cheaper, more comfortable, and more convenient to use the CPAP without a dental appliance? There must be good reasons.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:31 am

Why would someone use a dental appliance along with CPAP? Wouldn't it be cheaper, more comfortable, and more convenient to use the CPAP without a dental appliance? There must be good reasons.
Some people have reported that they can use a lower pressure if they use a dental device. If they had a really high pressure or a problem associated with higher pressures such as aerophagia, then it may be better for them than just using cpap.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi-to answer your question about why someone would wear a dental appliance along with CPAP? I found out that there were stress cracks in my teeth from clentching my jaws and teeth while sleeping. Since I have been using the dental appliances ALONG with my CPAP --my jaw feels so much better and it relaxes my jaws while sleeping so I sleep much better. I am not a mouth breather so the appliance works great for me. Yes it was expensive but when looking for good quality sleep at night one does not care what the cost is at times. Plus I did not like waking up with a clentched sore jaw in the mornings.

Hope this helps to clarify for anyone wondering why I have a dental appliance along with CPAP.

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

The gold standards for OSA are:

1) CPAP

2) weight loss when overweight

3) avoidance of sedating medications and booze, particularly at night

I'd stick to CPAP. Done right, it really works. Lose weight if you are overweight and CPAP REALLY WORKS!

Eric

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:00 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:Hope this helps to clarify for anyone wondering why I have a dental appliance along with CPAP.
Which one do you use?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 pm

I use custom fitted Oral appliance along with my cpap. I had TMJ from clenching and grinding at night. It was worth every penny!

Sleeplessinaz

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I used one for awhile that my dentist made for me. It is possible that it can work if you have very mild apnea but it is no picnic to get used to wearing and I find the cpap actually easier to put up with than the appliance was. It can also give you TMJ, it holds your lower jaw out to keep your throat open, which is an unnatural position.

I tried one of those boil and bite ones and it was TERRIBLE, I threw it out the first night.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 am

Sleeplessinaz,
Hi-to answer your question about why someone would wear a dental appliance along with CPAP? I found out that there were stress cracks in my teeth from clentching my jaws and teeth while sleeping. Since I have been using the dental appliances ALONG with my CPAP --my jaw feels so much better and it relaxes my jaws while sleeping so I sleep much better. I am not a mouth breather so the appliance works great for me. Yes it was expensive but when looking for good quality sleep at night one does not care what the cost is at times. Plus I did not like waking up with a clentched sore jaw in the mornings.
I still don't understand. Why don't you use the CPAP only? What would happen if you used the CPAP only?
Thanks,
Ed M.

pats

Post by pats » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 am

edm_msu wrote:Sleeplessinaz,
I still don't understand. Why don't you use the CPAP only? What would happen if you used the CPAP only?
Thanks,
Ed M.
Isn't "What would happen if you used the CPAP only?" answered in the quoted material?

"stress cracks in my teeth"
"my jaw feels so much better and it relaxes my jaws while sleeping so sleep much better" strong suggests nighttime jaw aches causing wakefulness.
"Plus I did not like waking up with a clentched sore jaw in the mornings."

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:02 am

I thought that she meant that using CPAP in ADDITION to the appliance would reduce "stress cracks in my teeth", etc.

I saw a presentation on dental appliances and a problem is that they can be hard on the teeth and jaw. It is possible for the appliance to actually bend the teeth in the jaw. Appliances can cause teeth problems and cause sore jaws. That is why I did not think that an appliance would be used to reduce stress cracks in teeth and have less sore jaws. I thought an appliance would do the opposite.

I've got a regular bite splint from the dentist that fits on my upper teeth only that keeps me from grinding my teeth. For me the solution to clenching is a regular bite splint, not a dental appliance.

Ed M.

Last edited by edm_msu on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 am

I think for some people, an oral appliance is the miracle cure for apnea.

I also think that the odds of you being one of these people is pretty low. Some others get some limited relief.

Cost for the device is fairly high, and many of them do wear out and require maintenance.

I'll bet that more apneacs are hurt than helped because they tried dental appliances. Some apneacs try a dental device, it doesn't fix their apnea, and they delay getting effective treatment with CPAP because they spent time and money trying a dental device.

Some people need dental appliances for other reasons, too. Tooth grinding is common for apneacs.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:I use custom fitted Oral appliance along with my cpap. I had TMJ from clenching and grinding at night. It was worth every penny!

Sleeplessinaz
Sleeplessinaz, there are different types of dental appliances. The type you are describing sounds like the type to prevent damage from bruxism. I think the type that the original poster was asking about is another type, it is designed to hold the bottom jaw forward to hopefully keep the airway open and prevent apnea.

The type you use is necessary if a person is grinding or clenching their teeth, to prevent damage to the teeth.
The "anti-snoring" dental appliance is another issue. I'm not aware of any studies that prove they really help with snoring or sleep apnea.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask