Pilairo!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sylvie

Re: Pilairo!

Post by sylvie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 am

Oh...a few more things. I never hear an exhalation noise, so if there is one, maybe I just don't notice it. Also, the short tube doesn't bother me a bit. I have the hose management thing where the bar sticks under your mattress and has velcro on the bar and at the top. I velcro the hose to the middle of the bar only, and that leaves the hose enough length for me. (I don't have a headboard.)

Napster, your reviews are spot-on. I also tried the Elan and had the same air leakage problems as you. If the Pilairo hadn't been an option so quick, I probably would have tried harder to make it work. Glad I didn't, now, since I love the Pilairo so much. Honestly, my reports are so beautiful every morning, and this has never happened to me in the 6 months I've been on xPAP therapy. It has been Hades for me for the 6 months. My Swift FX pillows got real tiresome with the shifting in the nostrils, and the expense, and the constant search to make them last longer. If you all could see the difference in my sleep reports, you would be shocked. I could never get a good seal with the Swift FX pillows consistently. If I had one more good day/bad day routine, I was about to commit hairy kary. Every night, I can't wait to go to bed...but it's not because I am so sickly tired anymore because I half slept the night before..... it's because every night now is wonderful.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 am

sylvie wrote:..... it's because every night now is wonderful.
I should make one clarification: every night is "wonderful" because there are no more leaks. My AHI does fluctuate mildly, but there are no leaks, and I feel well daily.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 am

cherylgrrl wrote:Several have commented on the Pilairo vs. the SleepWeaver Elan mask. I have not tried the Elan, but have had a wonderful experience with the SleepWeaver Advance Nasal Mask.The comments about the SleepWeaver blowing air into the eyes is not something I've experienced, so the rating on the SleepWeaver Advance Nasal Mask would be A+ from me. I'd be curious to try the Pilairo and compare it to the SleepWeaver Advance, but unfortunately Fisher & Paykel don't offer the same moneyback guarantee! And my DME doesn't carry Fisher & Paykel. Is there anyone who has used this SleepWeaver mask who can compare it to the Pilairo?

I use the Sleepweaver as my main mask -- well it and the Aloha on a 2-3 night on, 2-3 night off cycle.
I tried the Elan and it simply did not work for me -- might have if there was a size in between the two.
I have a Pilairo on order and will try and post my comparisons once it arrives and I have some time in it.
I occasionally have air leakage into the eyes with the SW but not very often.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

TiredTooLong

Post by TiredTooLong » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 am

After Suz's experience, I wonder if this mask doesn't do as well on lower pressures. For her, it didn't fully inflate, and thus bumped her nose, but the same lack of inflation could feel like not getting enough air. TiredTooLong, what is your usual pressure setting? We'll have to see if that turns out to be a trend as more people use it. My husband has an Rx of 7-9cm, and I am going to see how he does with the Pilairo on his pressure. But that means waiting for my spare to arrive, since I'm not giving mine up for a night!
I did up my lower pressure from 6.5 to 7 and think it was easier to breathe. My prescription says to use 8 on CPAP but I have and auto machine. Slept better. Of course I'm still under a month of usage here, started July 3.
Average pressure 7.3
AHI .7
Leaks (the highest I've had) 21.4

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 am

Regarding leaks, I probably don't understand them too well. My report says it is a flat 27.0. There are no fluctuations in that leak line--it is pretty much straight. With the FX, the leak line fluctuated wildly, depending probably on how fitfully I slept and rolled around. I use Encore Basic. All I know is that the OAs are much lower, I don't wake up much, if at all, throughout the night, and I don't have the need to shift the pillows to control the leaks like I did with the FX. I'm not sure if the mask vent rate is at issue here?, or something I don't know about?, or if you all think that leak line is weird or bad? I just know I'm feeling a heck of a lot better than with the FX. You all probably know way more than me technically. Maybe there is some kind of factor regarding the Pilairo and the leak data?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 am

TiredTooLong wrote:Leaks (the highest I've had) 21.4
Respironics users need to remember that they are seeing Total Leak being reported which includes the vent rate plus any excess leak.
Vent rate increases as pressure increases so the reported leak numbers will also include the increase.
You can't be trying to compare the numbers you see with ResMed user's numbers. Apples and oranges comparison. The ResMed machines subtract a generic vent rate prior to reporting so they don't get Total Leak...they only get excess leak.

To evaluate the leak (or lack of) one needs to look at the paperwork that came with the mask and see what the expected vent rate is at the pressure you use. If you increase your pressure the vent rate will also increase.
Bear in mind that the paperwork graphs that show the vent rate have a normal standard deviation allowance of up to 6 L/min. So it is not an exact numerical value.

I haven't seen the vent rate graph for the Pilairo but I would assume that a leak number in the very low 20s would go along with the expected vent rate for that pressure of 7 that TiredTooLong was using. Without seeing the actual report...I suspect that the overall leaks are very minimal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 am

kellygary wrote:Just got this unit. Seems great, but a big problem. Wondering if I have a defective unit. There is a very high level of air blowing out at/near the elbow. It is not leakage from the sides. Been on CPAP about a year with 4 different masks, so aware of some airflow.

Help?
Yes, I had this too! If you took it apart, you may have noticed that the soft squishy part wasn't seated properly at the bottom. I must have done this somehow while sleeping so now I just give it a quick push to make sure all is where it should be.

Had a good night. It was cool last night so sleeping with the headstrap was a-ok. I like the idea of sewing a piece of elastic into the head strap but am still anticipating the strap, like all things stretchy, to eventually loosen to the point of uselessness. If we were beginning to see replacement parts showing up, I probably wouldn't be so reluctant. Even though I wear the head strap under the chinstrap, I am going to use the extra velcro strap to secure the head strap. Great idea, sylvie!!

Just saw Pugy's post - intentional leak rate for 7 appears to be in the 25, 26 range.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 am

Let's see, if I remember right Sylvie said her pressure was at 7.
According to F&P the vent rate on the Pilairo at 7 is 26.
Sylvie says she's seeing a straight line at 27 -- my guess is she has no leaks -- she's seeing the straight line vent rate of the mask.

Here's the list of vent rates published by F&P: http://www.fphcare.com/userfiles/file/P ... 283%29.pdf

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 am

Yup! Just looked at my paperwork, and indeed the vent rates were there! Thanks, Pugsy!! I'm good to go then! Thanks, Tip10, for posting those vent rates, too. That will be extraordinarily helpful for folks, also.

Also, my APAP range is 7 to 11 (just in case, but it rarely goes past 8 now). My average pressure is 7.3, with my 90% pressure at 8. Just as an aside, remember that for me, I also use the Somnodent--which has also helped lower the 90% pressure.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 am

When looking at leak line reports in Encore Basic people could very well see a straight line. I have seen it often with my Swift FX on the Encore reports. The overall scale seen using Encore is much higher and fixed. You won't see tiny differences in the leak.

When looking at leak line reports in SleepyHead there is a floating scale based on the highest leak point. So it is possible for SH leak reports to look much more ragged and the same report in Encore could look relatively stable. This is why I say that sometimes SH makes mountains out of mole hills. If someone wants or needs and example I will try to find one but I think most people know what I mean. Just ask if you want one.

I almost ordered the Pilairo but then remembered I have my 6 month mask allowance with insurance coming up. I will check with DME first. Might as well let insurance pay for it. That way it only costs me about $30 co pay. If they don't have one I will just get my usual Swift FX and go ahead and order it from cpap.com. I am going to need some filters for my machine anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:46 am

Pugsy...I am so excited for you I can hardly stand it! I really think you are going to love it. I know you have good and bad days as well (from your posts), and I really see the Pilairo being as life-changing for you as it is for me.

NOTE: The reason I added the elastic extension on my headstrap was because I had two different experiences with using the headstrap at the top of the neck. One night I had a great night, no leaks, felt terrific. The next night I woke with one nostril slightly skewed from the pillow, which creating leaking, and subsequently I needed a nap mid-day. So with the headstrap in the middle of the back of my head, it is very comfortable, and I believe, for me, it keeps everything in place consistently. Hope this info helps others.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am

I am torn about this mask, as I really don't like the idea of the noise from it (I have 4 noise machines going in my room to block sound). On the other hand, all the rave reviews...
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

KimberlyM

Post by KimberlyM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 am

sylvie wrote:
KimberlyM wrote:I ordered the mask and my pressure is at 7 cm.
My pressure is at 7 and it still works like a champ. For those interested, this is what I did with the strap and it works perfectly. I put my Deluxe Style Chinstrap on first, the one that looks like an Ace Bandage and attaches with velcro. I cut the middle of the Pilairo strap and stitched a piece of elastic into it. I adjusted the strap to where it was comfortable in the middle of the back of my head, it was just barely snug. Then I took the short velcroed strap from a spare Deluxe chinstrap and attached it to the middle of the chinstrap now on my head. I looped it through the Pilairo headstrap and then attached the loop to itself, placing the headstrap in the middle of my head. I woke up this morning and everything was perfectly in place, and yet another great night and another great day is at hand. Great blessings to you all!
Thanks Sylvie, I don't have a chinstrap, but have been thinking of getting one. I am really glad to hear the Pilairo works with low pressures!

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

Suzjohnson wrote:
kellygary wrote:Just got this unit. Seems great, but a big problem. Wondering if I have a defective unit. There is a very high level of air blowing out at/near the elbow. It is not leakage from the sides. Been on CPAP about a year with 4 different masks, so aware of some airflow.

Help?
Yes, I had this too! If you took it apart, you may have noticed that the soft squishy part wasn't seated properly at the bottom. I must have done this somehow while sleeping so now I just give it a quick push to make sure all is where it should be.

Suz
This happened to me last night! I was like, wait a second, something feels straaange.

But I hadn't firmly reseated the pillows after cleaning. They needed a little push, and all was better again.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 am

SleepingUgly wrote:I am torn about this mask, as I really don't like the idea of the noise from it (I have 4 noise machines going in my room to block sound). On the other hand, all the rave reviews...
I will see if my DME has one of them today. Going over that way anyway. I will compare noise levels as best I can. I have always been able to hear (in my head) the inhale and exhale noises. I know that they are in my head because I can plug up my ears and they don't change at all. I do know that the Swift FX is hugely more quiet than the Swift LT. My husband can report on that fact. I don't remember if he noticed anything with the Aloha. I thought that the Aloha created maybe a little less "in my head" darth vadar sounds. It is so hard for me to evaluate mask noise. I haven't been able to remove the conducted noise. Nothing seems to help. Hose cozy or whatever.
sylvie wrote:Pugsy...I am so excited for you I can hardly stand it! I really think you are going to love it. I know you have good and bad days as well (from your posts), and I really see the Pilairo being as life-changing for you as it is for me.
Ah, the enthusiasm of a newbie who has achieved cpap nirvana. I love it and I am envious.
My good days and bad days are most likely related to my other issues and I would have them even if I didn't have to use cpap.
It is just the way it is. Cpap doesn't work so great for things totally unrelated to sleep apnea.

I experiment with new stuff because I like to try new things and not because I am dissatisfied with my therapy or my equipment.
Experimenting helps relieve some of the boredom. I do try to keep an open mind though. This Pilairo thing is quite new and I know from past experiments that what someone else just loves...I can hate. The lightness of it appeals to me since I am known to prefer "less on my face". It is a pretty marked change from the traditional nasal pillows so maybe they are on to something. Things evolve all the time that are better.

I actually sleep quite well with my Swift FX (as well as the Aloha) with minimal leaks except for possibly some mouth opening issues which aren't big enough to wake me up or cause problems with massive leaks and I would have those no matter what mask I used.

So I am going to try it just because I like to try things that appeal to me. Should it help me achieve cpap nirvana then that will be a great bonus but after 3 years of this stuff...I don't expect it because I really don't have any issues with my mask that need fixing.

Now if the Pilairo fixes my bad back and neck...then it will be the new miracle. I won't totally discount it. I stumbled onto BiPap that made a huge difference in how I felt and there is no rational reason why it should make that much of a difference.
So you never know, miracles do happen.