Pilairo!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Suzjohnson

Re: Pilairo!

Post by Suzjohnson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 am

SleepingUgly wrote:I am torn about this mask, as I really don't like the idea of the noise from it (I have 4 noise machines going in my room to block sound). On the other hand, all the rave reviews...
SleepingUgly, if you had nothing to compare it to, you would think it was quiet. It's only slightly more noisy than the Aloha, which if memory serves, is only slightly more noisy than the Swift FX. I think using the word "noisy" gives the wrong impression. There is a sound, kind of a soft swoosh sound but it's so soft my hubby can't hear it. The exhaust sound might be more apparent at higher pressures but as my high pressure is 12, I can't speak to exhaust sound over 12. I would give it a try as you would loose nothing other than shipping if you didn't like it.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 am

Pugsy wrote: My good days and bad days are most likely related to my other issues and I would have them even if I didn't have to use cpap.
It is just the way it is. Cpap doesn't work so great for things totally unrelated to sleep apnea.

I experiment with new stuff because I like to try new things and not because I am dissatisfied with my therapy or my equipment.
Experimenting helps relieve some of the boredom. I do try to keep an open mind though. This Pilairo thing is quite new and I know from past experiments that what someone else just loves...I can hate. The lightness of it appeals to me since I am known to prefer "less on my face". It is a pretty marked change from the traditional nasal pillows so maybe they are on to something. Things evolve all the time that are better.
This is one of the (many) things I love about you, Pugsy. Lots, and lots of perspective.

I love my Pilairo, but it's not going to work for a lot of people. The "one size fits all" translates to "some people it just won't fit." And for people who need the MOST silent mask possible, well, it ain't. (Though SleepingUgly, the comparison to a SLIGHTLY louder Aloha is, in my opinion, pretty accurate. And I'm serious about offering a phone call where I squish the phone against my masked-up face if you want to hear it before buying.)

But I decided to try it because it's a new development in nasal pillows and ultra-minimal design, and I love experimentation. The fact that it worked so well for me is an unexpected perk. And when the next "latest and greatest" comes out... I'll no doubt try that too, even though I'll (fingers-crossed!!!) still be in love with the Pilairo. But the Pilairo is a very worthy mask to experiment with. Pugsy, I'm curious to hear what you think.

For more data on lower pressure ranges and the Pilairo, my husband has been recruited for tonight's science lab. He doesn't know yet, but this is the kind of thing he signed up for when he married me. So, I'll report on how he does tomorrow morning!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

As suspected my DME doesn't have it. The girl in the office didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The guy who I usually talk to was out. He actually handles the inventory anyway.
So I got myself a new Swift FX Bella from them. Better use of my copay anyway.

Ordered the Pilairo from cpap.com along with some machine filters.
Didn't bother with return insurance. If I just hate it...I bet I can find it a new home and not lose much money.
I actually expect that I will probably like it just fine. Just like the Aloha. Will it knock the Swift FX and Aloha out of their number one and number two positions? Only time will tell. BTW the number 3 mask is the Swift LT. The very first mask I chose to try. I can usually have a pretty good idea what my body will like from the beginning. Used it until the Swift FX became available and i knew from just looking at it that it would work for me.

A while back I had a chance to put the original Sleep Weaver on my face. Didn't even bother hooking it up to the machine. Didn't like it at all. Have no desire to try the Elan or whatever.

Don't know if I got my order in soon enough to get the mask by this Friday. Most likely won't get it till Monday.
I will report back on it at that time. I will be surprised if I end up hating it. I don't spend my money on things that I don't think will work. I might try things that I don't think will work but only if they are free.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tigerruud

Post by tigerruud » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 pm

2nd night using the Pilairo. (Note it is a loan unit only and I have only been on CPAP for about 14 days).

Read some suggestions re cutting the back of the strap and adding some elastic to it to make it looser but can't do that as it is a loan unit.
Tried it and was able to sleep the whole night with it but did wake up to adjust a few times as my nostrils were hurting abit. Still feels abit too tight. I thought the pillows were suppose to be hovering over your nostrils only.
Woke up with red/sore nostrils. Maybe it's too tight or the pillows are too large for me.

I am currently trying out the small and medium pillows on the Swift FX ( mainly prefer the small size).

I really want to like the Pilairo as it allows me to turn on my side without leakage.
The swift will almost always leak when I turn to the side.

So not sure if I will spend the $$ to buy the Pilairo from the US if I'm getting sore nostrils.

Issac

Post by Issac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Buy the insurance.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Issac wrote:Buy the insurance.
You talking to me? Too late. Already sealed the deal.
If I hate it I can find a home for it I am sure and probably not lose much more than the cost of the insurance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TiredTooLong

Post by TiredTooLong » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 pm

I got my insurance for free.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:41 pm

TiredTooLong wrote:I got my insurance for free.
I didn't get the free offer. Probably waited too long to order it. Not a problem though. I am okay with the order as it stands.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 pm

I am trying the Aloha for the first time tonight. I'll see if it seems louder than the FX. Wish I could lose the mummifying chinstrap, which is driving me nuts (and often my mouth opens anyway, despite the fact that it holds jaw up and covers mouth). The tape doesn't seem like a sure thing, though, as it often gets slobbery and I have to take it off during the night.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

KimberlyM

Post by KimberlyM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 pm

I also got the insurance free and will probably be using it. The mask is too tight on my face. My pressure is at 7 cm and the nasal pillows go up my nose too far and my nose hits the end of the mask. I am an average weight and have a normal size nose, so it isn't that my head is big. Changing the EPR from 3 to 2 helped some since it keeps the mask inflated more, but when I tried to set the EPR down to 1 and off it was too hard to breathe out. I tried loosening the mask by putting a hair band on the end of one side and seeing if having it a little looser helped. It didn't. What a bummer.

KimberlyM

Post by KimberlyM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
TiredTooLong wrote:I got my insurance for free.
I didn't get the free offer. Probably waited too long to order it. Not a problem though. I am okay with the order as it stands.
The chat box popped up and they offered the free insurance when I ordered my mask. I guess maybe you have to loiter on the page a bit while ordering to get it.

cherylgrrl

Post by cherylgrrl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Pugsy wrote:A while back I had a chance to put the original Sleep Weaver on my face. Didn't even bother hooking it up to the machine. Didn't like it at all. Have no desire to try the Elan or whatever.
:
Just wondering what the problem was with the old SleepWeaver. But now even the Elan is an old model. Why not try the current product since it has a money-back guarantee? It's hard for me to understand when I've had such a great experience with it...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

KimberlyM wrote: The chat box popped up and they offered the free insurance when I ordered my mask. I guess maybe you have to loiter on the page a bit while ordering to get it.
I did loiter for quite a while because I was making sure I didn't want anything else but the filters. Nothing popped up this time.
cherylgrrl wrote:g what the problem was with the old SleepWeaver. But now even the Elan is an old model. Why not try the current product since it has a money-back guarantee? It's hard for me to understand when I've had such a great experience with it...
Because it simply doesn't appeal to me at all and I just don't want to try it.
I hate, hate anything over the bridge of my nose. Not only did it touch my nose it went directly much too close to my eyes. Way too much "stuff on my face" which is one deal breaker for me.

I really am quite happy with the nasal pillow mask system. I experiment with what appeals to me that I think I might like.
There is nothing about the cloth masks that appeal to me. Someone gave me the Sleep Weaver because they didn't like it either or I wouldn't have had it. I was supposed to pass it on if I didn't want it and I passed it on.

And one final deal breaker. That lower strap around the base of the skull. I have a 4 inch long metal plate in my cervical spine. I pretty much have minimal range of motion. When I first started cpap therapy I tried on (at the DME) several various masks that have that lower strap and every one of them seem to cause me to have pressure and stress on that area of my spine and caused pain. They literally were a "pain in the neck". So I don't consider any mask with a lower back strap placement like you have with your mask. I already know that my body doesn't like that particular strap placement.

You love it and that is wonderful. I happen to love the Bella Loops and many people hate them. Such is the cpap way of life. One person's treasure is someone else's discarded trash. I know that just because I really like something doesn't mean that everyone else will. Just because you love the mask doesn't mean everyone else will.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Ooops, doesn't look like I will be getting the Pilairo anytime soon. Back ordered.
Must be flying off the shelves from your good reviews.

Dormejo

Post by Dormejo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 am

New to the CPAP world. I take ownership of a machine and Pilario mask tomorrow at AU220.00 I'm hoping for some good results. I will be on 8cms so not sure if low middle or high so I guess I'll learn a lot as I go.

I will keep you all posted when I begin my new life........

Bye for now
Cheers
Sleep Well.....