Pilairo!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
the_nap_ster

Re: Pilairo!

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:58 pm

I'd like to introduce you to...

The BELLAIRO!!!

It's the Frankenstein child of the Pilairo and Bella Loops. I thought this might be helpful for people who find the Pilairo strap too tight, or just not ideal. It can be created without cutting, damaging, or altering any mask parts. Here's a pic (I have Pad-A-Cheek pads on my Bella Loops):

And here's how I made it: gently remove the hook portion of the plastic headgear connectors on the Pilairo. You will be left with a small plastic loop on the pillow part. Take off just the loops from your Bella mask. Line up the loops on the proper side of the pillows, making sure that the outside of the loops (the side with the adjustable tabs) faces the outside of the pillows. Find some soft, non-stretchy material (I used ribbon), and thread through the small plastic loop on the Pilairo, and the Bella Loop. Working one loop at a time, flip the pillow/loop so that the side facing away from your skin is up. Tie in a bow (or something more permanent, if you choose). Voila! The Bellairo!

I slept with this last night, and it was very comfortable. If you have both masks in stock, might be a fun experiment.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

sylvie wrote:I don't use the EPR feature.
I don't either, but I tried it a few nights ago, to see if it did anything for me. And it really affected my experience with the Pilairo. MUCH more movement. It didn't bother me, but it might bother someone else, especially if you are using a BiPap. For what it's worth!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:35 pm

Now that I have the Bella loops, I might look into attaching them to my élan.
Of course, that leaves what to tie the hose to; maybe my split-strap Sullivan chin strap.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm

the_nap_ster wrote:gently remove the hook portion of the plastic headgear connectors on the Pilairo.
I looked at that. I was so afraid I would break it trying to unhook it. Once off does it go back on easily if needed?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Pugsy wrote: I looked at that. I was so afraid I would break it trying to unhook it. Once off does it go back on easily if needed?
Yep, as long as I don't force anything, I am okay. I visually line up the opening of the hook on the headgear with the loop on the pillows, and ONLY apply gentle pressure in that direction. So far, I've gotten pretty good at taking the headgear on and off without hurting it.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Looks fab napster, you created a wonderful fix now about that hard plastic thingy we would have a wondermask! This could be a real money maker if you go in business!! Ha, Custom Cpap Creations by The Nap_ster! You go girl!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:31 am

Reporting on the side covers that I used to help with marks from the little "buckle" thingy and straps on the Pilario.
Actually the Swift FX side covers (the ones that come with the mask package) did a very decent job for me. Minimal hint of a strap mark on that side. It might or might not completely eliminate mask strap marks. It is going to depend on your own facial tissue and tendency to have strap marks. If someone has these little ResMed covers...give them a try. Might be enough and no need to go further.

The medium weight fleece wrap that I made from Padacheek (had it from past Bella Loop side strap trial) did a superb job of eliminating mask strap marks. So 2 nights trial and not a hint of a strap mark on the side that used the fleece.

I had one side of the mask with the ResMed cover and one side with the fleece cover. Both comfortable and unobtrusive. Pretty much didn't notice either one once I put the mask on.

So for those who are having some mask strap marks with the Pilairo...and you like the mask otherwise...try some sort of cover over that buckle and strap.

I won't be doing any more specific review on the Pilairo unless someone has a specific question that needs answering.
I plan to use it for about a month and then go back to the Swift FX. I do plan to keep the Pilairo for the time being. Maybe revisit it after a few nights on the Swift FX again.

It has its pros and cons just like any other mask. It is a very stable mask. That hummingbird pillow pretty much doesn't go anywhere even with the back strap ridiculously low. The one size fits all strap thing....not going to happen with people with larger heads. I don't have a large head and it isn't any too loose on me. It would be easy to modify that back strap to allow more give though if the rest of the mask was a keeper. The nasal pillow one size fits all approach probably would work for most people. While I "feel" that it is a bit large for me (I can use XS and S nasal pillows) it still works and seals fine and is comfortable. I can see the nasal pillow working for most people.

It is going to be like any other mask. YMMV thing. Some people will love it, some people will hate it. Those that love it won't understand why someone hates it and those that hate it won't understand why others love it.

I haven't yet determined if it will rank above the Aloha in my own personal ranking system. Right now it is close so with another 3 weeks (I gave the Aloha a full month) it could very well unseat the Aloha at number two position.
I still find the shorter hose annoying and I don't have a SleepWeaver to rob their hose to make an extension. Perhaps with a bit more time it will annoy me less. Not a deal breaker though. There is no "perfect" mask out there that doesn't have something or other that could be potentially annoying for a person. How much annoyance is an individual thing.

I may try to rig up the "Bellairo" to try.....that idea surely gets Rested Gals lab rat award for sure. Though for me...if I could lab rat the Swift FX nasal pillow with the Pilairo head gear because it is more stable...now that would be a perfect combination for me I think. Less on my face with stable head gear...couldn't ask for anything more.

Oh, the inflation thing. That is going to be present when people use either EPR or bilevel pressures like I do. You will notice it and if it is too annoying then that may be a deal breaker. I am finding that I am noticing it less and less. At first I thought it would be a deal breaker but it has become a non issue now.
I found that I can inhale and exhale just fine with the machine off as long as the strap isn't placed over the crown (like the picture shows). I found that with strap placed that high that the mask sort of squishes a bit and pulls the end of my nose up (piggy nose) and with the squishing of the pillow it won't inflate/deflate sufficiently to allow enough movement of air to be comfortable. When I place the strap much lower on the back of my head then the pillow doesn't get squished nearly as much and I can easily inflate the pillow with my own breath.
This is why I think that the one strap size fits everyone thing is not going to work for some people. If things are borderline too tight and the pillow gets squished...people could have some initial feelings of not being able to breathe well enough. Obviously with the machine on a non issue but for some of us we want to be able to breathe comfortably with the machine off. It's a mind thing I guess.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:20 am

Pugsy,
Excellent review. Thanks for the time and energy you invested in this.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

RedBackFur

Post by RedBackFur » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:29 pm

I purchased a Pilario online last week. I've been using the Activa LT, and wanted to try a 'pillow', and this new model sounded interesting. (I was unable to tolerate the Swift, which I tried 3 years ago when I first got my APAP.

After figuring out I had to set my S8 to "Swift" mode (otherwise auto on/off would not shut off), I gave it a try. I must say I was very happy about the fact that I could watch television with both eyes, and put on my glasses if I want.

And, there is no issues with leaks considering my abundant facial hair

I have slept 3 nights as of today. The noise difference is disconcerting. It is really much louder than my Activa LT, specially on inhale. But it is white noise, and doesn't really affect my getting to sleep. Will have to see what the DH says when he returns from his road trip tomorrow night.

The biggest issues has been when it shifts to the side. I've woken up several times with a very painful septum, and simply adjusting the mask solves it, but I waking up in pain is no fun.

Also, I was experience some <i>extreme boogification</i>, but solved that by turning up my humidifier up a few clicks from where it was previously set..

Overall, the minimalist headgear is nice. Very fast to take on and off, and how I look wearing it is lest frightening to the horses. I do have a large head, so I think its a bit tight, but may stretch out over time. But in the dark, it is very easy to put the mask on upside down! Didn't figure that out until I realized it was impossible to stop leaks and felt wrong. I know now to feel for the "support" wings to be on the bottom, not the top.

One fabulous note: for first time in almost 3 years, I can sleep mid-pillow, rather than hanging off the edge.

Time will tell if I can overcome the nose pain that can occur.

TiredTooLong

Post by TiredTooLong » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:35 am

HELP!

Let me first say I've been on CPAP for 1 month. I started with a Comfort Gel (small) mask. I felt it was still too big. Got the Pilaro a couple of weeks ago and was pretty happy with it. Didn't think it was too tight at the time. But for the last few days I've been developing sores in my nose which hurt a bit, slightly uncomfortable. I bought that lanolin that mothers use for breast feeding. and have been using that for a couple of days. I'm wondering if my nostrils are too small for the Pilaro, or if the material in the Pilaro is irritating my nose, or is the strap too tight (My head is a bit large but my features are small. I have a bitty pug nose with small nostrils. Do you think this may get better or should I try for another type of mask. Other than the sores, I like it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:00 pm

TiredTooLong wrote: But for the last few days I've been developing sores in my nose which hurt a bit, slightly uncomfortable. I bought that lanolin that mothers use for breast feeding. and have been using that for a couple of days. I'm wondering if my nostrils are too small for the Pilaro, or if the material in the Pilaro is irritating my nose, or is the strap too tight (My head is a bit large but my features are small. I have a bitty pug nose with small nostrils. Do you think this may get better or should I try for another type of mask. Other than the sores, I like it.
The inner cones of the Pilairo do seem to go a bit further into the nostrils than the inner cones of my Swift FX or the Aloha.
I do wear the XSmall or Small nasal pillows in the other mask. I just now compared the cones of the Pilairo and the Swift FX and the Pilairo cones are definitely larger both in cone size and the opening size. I wonder if the presence of the silicone is aggravating the nose hairs...perhaps blocking the pores and creating zit like sores in the nose. I have had 2 of them myself.
At first I thought it was a coincidence but when the second one developed it got me to thinking that it wasn't a coincidence.

Are you washing the pillows often?

The fact that things are worse after 2 weeks and not improving doesn't bode well though. Should be the other way around.
Of course I am only 1 week into using the Pilairo....

I do know that if I position the strap so that it goes over the crown part of my head (where the picture shows it in the mask literature) it is definitely too tight. It brings the tip of my nostrils up creating piggy nose. I am okay when the strap is lower on the back of my head. I don't have a big head either so I can just imagine that if someone did have a little larger head and they also put that strap over the crown...it very well could be too tight.

Dormejo

Post by Dormejo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 am

Yes....i am the same with slight nose irrataions from the Pilairo. I have used vaseline for the last 2 nights to ease the discomfort when I first put mask on at night.
I beleive it is my nose adjusting to CPAP along with the rest of my brain and senses!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Sleep Well.....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 am

Dormejo wrote:I have used vaseline for the last 2 nights to ease the discomfort
I believe that Vasoline contains petroleum products and petroleum products aren't good for silicone.
Petroleum products break down the silicone. Might be better to use something without petroleum in it like the Lansinoh ointment. For a few nights it might not hurt things but long term it can affect the life of the silicone and thus the length of time the nasal pillow will last. They aren't cheap to replace. For sure wash the nasal pillow really good each morning if you use the Vasoline to limit the silicone's exposure to the petroleum products.

TiredTooLong

Post by TiredTooLong » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am

Pugsy I've been using neosporin, I'll go back to the lanolin (that is what I use before putting the Pilaro on). My nose is getting better, didn't hurt last night. I just might get through this.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am

TiredTooLong wrote:I just might get through this.
You can. You have a great attitude.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.