Has anyone used Provent?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TiredTooLong

Has anyone used Provent?

Post by TiredTooLong » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I saw this on American Sleep Apnea Association. Just wonder how good it might be in situations where you have no electricity, or during travel, or maybe during a nap?

pats

Re: Has anyone used Provent?

Post by pats » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm

TiredTooLong wrote:I saw this on American Sleep Apnea Association. Just wonder how good it might be in situations where you have no electricity, or during travel, or maybe during a nap?
I used it during a recent 15 night high altitude vacation in Peru and Bolivia. It worked very well for me, and was much more practical and convenient than my APAP would have been on that itinerary. I also keep some on hand as my backup in case of power cuts or machine failure.

That said, it does not work well for everyone, so I advise consulting your sleep doctor, and using a trial pack at home before depending on it away from home.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Crunching the numbers, it would be even more costly than CPAP over the long term.
--And if you were found at fault in an accident, I doubt if the courts would consider you treated.

pats

Post by pats » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Crunching the numbers, it would be even more costly than CPAP over the long term.
--And if you were found at fault in an accident, I doubt if the courts would consider you treated.
I agree with you about the cost. When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea it was almost exactly two years before I will be medicare eligible. I calculated the costs for two years of treatment. It was cheaper to buy a data-capable APAP on-line, with a reasonable allowance for replacement filters etc., than to use Provent every night for that period.

The costing is obviously very different for vacation and backup use than for everyday use. The entire cost of using Provent for my vacation, including practice use at home, was less than the cost of the optional excursion to fly over the Nazca Lines that I added to my tour.

I had no tendency to fall asleep while driving even without treatment, and was not going to drive at all on my vacation. I made sure I did not need to drive during the first couple of days of getting used to Provent, because of the risk of disturbed sleep, but then I did the same when I was getting started on APAP. I don't know whether my sleep doctor would have approved me using Provent on vacation if I had been planning driving.