Does "Sleep Debt" really exist?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daisy004

Does "Sleep Debt" really exist?

Post by Daisy004 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:46 pm

or is it just a myth you think? I commented to a friend about me being tireder than ever since starting the cpap and she said "oh yea..just your body catching up on Sleep Debt!!!!" was she serious? Does Sleep Debt exist you think?
"I'm not sleeping, I'm just checking my eyelids for pinholes!" - My Dad

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Does "Sleep Debt" really exist?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Or maybe we were suffering from withdrawal of our own stress hormones?
It does tend to get better; for whatever reason.
I like to think that we were getting used to this new paradigm of sleeping with equipment
--which does take some effort. Just keep plugging along.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 pm

i personally don't buy into this sleep debt theory. but, if someone else does and it helps float their boat, good for them.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Who knows...its a good story but.

jjmahern

Post by jjmahern » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_debt. It seems there are scientists and doctors in each camp. I do think there is some validity to the theory but I think your increase in tiredness since starting the CPAP prolly has more to do with the time it takes for your body to adjust to CPAP and until it does you might be getting less and/or less restorative sleep since starting on it.

Just my two cents.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't put a lot of stock in the theory, especially for 'long term' sleep debt. Maybe a few days at most. I think you can get back on an even keel pretty quick. On the other hand, very long periods of sleep quality deprivation can damage ones overall health... I'm not so sure you can come back from that totally... re: heart attacks, strokes, diabetes etc.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:38 pm

It really depends on what is meant by "Sleep debt".

For the first month or two I slept like the dead for 10-12 hours each night. Was it catching up on sleep? probably not. As I slept my whole attitude changed, I slowly recovered a lot of cognitive abilities I used to have, my skin changed. All sort of aches and pains disappeared and I got energy. By about 6 months in I was sleeping 6.5 -7 hours only.

Do "Sleep debt" or intense active healing at night?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Need it or not, the ability to finally get a satisfying amount of sleep is a big boost, emotionally.
I still indulge myself on occasion. (9 or 10 hours; not even a headache--s'wonderful)

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Sir Noddin, but with one extra anecdote.

Several years ago I was beyond exhausted. My schedule was either 3p-12a Monday-Friday or 11a-7p, Tuesday-Sunday. On a good night I got 4-5 hours of "sleep" and usually, it took two hours of NASA TV and C-SPAN for me to get that. By the time Saturday night rolled around, I was more-or-less brain-dead. Saturday (or Sunday) was pretty much 8-10 hours of torpor, followed by 2-3 hours of grogginess and another 4-6 hours of "sleep". The day after that I was back on my feet and able to face the world again.

Thankfully I only had to put up with those shifts for a couple years, but it took even longer for me to cave in and spend the money to get diagnosed.

So, to answer your question: Yes, sleep debt exists, but everyone's body bounces back from it differently. When you put the stress of a strange device telling you when to breathe on top of that, then follow it up with weeks or even months of leaky masks while you try to find the one that fits.... Well, you can guess what happens.

The good news is, it really does get better... Eventually.

Find your mask, find your machine, and find your pressure. If you're lucky everything will click right away. If not, even the cheapest brick in the world can be adjusted through trial and error.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

ems

Post by ems » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Sleep Debt exists if that's what you believe. I don't. "Maybe" the first few nites if you are sleeping well... hopefully after that you're just breathing and sleeping peacefully.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Sleepyinpdxp

Post by Sleepyinpdxp » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I've been on cpap for several weeks and right from the start I've been dreaming almost at a frantic pace and can remember my dreams quite clearly when I wake up. I find it almost an exhausting feeling dreaming so much but I am sleeping 8-9 hrs. per night. My sleep doc said the increased dreaming is quite common. I don't know if this is "sleep debt" but something is definitely very different.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't wake up when our security light goes on (usually 2-3 times a night due to roaming critters - I hope!) I used to wear a sleep mask because of this but now can't do so due to the mask getting in the way. This probably means I'm sleeping deeper. I also have less bathroom visits.

Sleepyinpdx

Post by Sleepyinpdx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:38 pm

I've been on cpap for several weeks and right from the start I've been dreaming almost at a frantic pace and can remember my dreams quite clearly when I wake up. I find it almost an exhausting feeling dreaming so much but I am sleeping 8-9 hrs. per night. My sleep doc said the increased dreaming is quite common. I don't know if this is "sleep debt" but something is definitely very different.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't wake up when our security light goes on (usually 2-3 times a night due to roaming critters - I hope!) I used to wear a sleep mask because of this but now can't do so due to the mask getting in the way. This probably means I'm sleeping deeper. I also have less bathroom visits.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Daisy004 wrote:or is it just a myth you think? I commented to a friend about me being tireder than ever since starting the cpap and she said "oh yea..just your body catching up on Sleep Debt!!!!" was she serious? Does Sleep Debt exist you think?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
If it didn't exist (or wasn't a reality), there wouldn't be so many "scholarly" articles and papers about it from reputable sources.
Have you bothered to do a Google search on it? Please do so and make up your own mind.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I guess it depends on how exhausted you are. Before diagnosis some 20+ years ago, I reached a point that I would dream when I blinked!! Talk about bloody dangerous. Just remember I still was driving at that time!! I fortunately had enough vacation to take about one week off from work. And I slept and slept and slept. By the fourth day or so, I *finally* started to awaken in the morning and would be awake for several hours before going back to sleep. It was the best sleep that I had in years!!

For me, sleep debt was very, very real. And I was glad to be able to play catch up. After that week, I felt as if I were years younger. Yup! Quite real.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

ems

Post by ems » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I like to think that we were getting used to this new paradigm of sleeping with equipment
Essentially that's what I think too... the newness of it and getting used to sleeping with a strange thing on your face; waking up, going back to sleep, etc., etc. Problem is I believe everything JBF says... so now I'm not sure what I think.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~