1st Night on Quattro Air: What to Expect?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DEXSUZ

1st Night on Quattro Air: What to Expect?

Post by DEXSUZ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 pm

After seven excellent months on the Quattro FX, I've opted to use Quattro Air as of tonight.

Any concerns or issues about which I should be alerted?

As always, THANKS!

Denial Dave

Re: 1st Night on Quattro Air: What to Expect?

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm

it's a very nice mask, but I had to give up using it due to major awakening face farts that erupted after about 4 hours of use.

I tried every trick that I could think of (including using pad-a-cheek liner) and never could stop them.

I'm back to using the standard Quattro FFM as my mask of choice.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

DEXSUZ wrote:After seven excellent months on the Quattro FX, I've opted to use Quattro Air as of tonight.

As always, THANKS!
You should be alerted to the fact that you're probably gonna LOVE this mask!

I've used the Mirage Quattro since it came out. I have also used the Quattro FX. I have always thought that somewhere in between the two is the possibility of the *perfect* mask.
Okay, there's no such thing as the perfect mask, but I think the Quattro Air is the closest thing to it so far.
Like ALL Resmed masks, it is of superior, high quality design and materials. *In my experience*, there's nothing better.
I've tried Amara, and Amara Gel, etc., etc. and they felt inferior immediately.
Quite the opposite with this lastest Quattro. I knew immediately that it was going to work.
I can't recommend it highly enough. Enjoy!

Vader

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:58 am

Vader wrote:
DEXSUZ wrote:After seven excellent months on the Quattro FX, I've opted to use Quattro Air as of tonight.

As always, THANKS!
You should be alerted to the fact that you're probably gonna LOVE this mask!

I've used the Mirage Quattro since it came out. I have also used the Quattro FX. I have always thought that somewhere in between the two is the possibility of the *perfect* mask.
Okay, there's no such thing as the perfect mask, but I think the Quattro Air is the closest thing to it so far.
Like ALL Resmed masks, it is of superior, high quality design and materials. *In my experience*, there's nothing better.
I've tried Amara, and Amara Gel, etc., etc. and they felt inferior immediately.
Quite the opposite with this lastest Quattro. I knew immediately that it was going to work.
I can't recommend it highly enough. Enjoy!
+1. What Vader said!

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am

If you are one of the lucky ones who's face it fits you will enjoy it a great deal. Since you are coming from the Quattro FX you will appreciate that the cushion does not separate from the mask frame the way it does on the FX. So those leaks are eliminated. I am a big fan of the new cushion design on the Quattro Air. The headgear is nicely made and rides in a different spot on the back of your head.

I noticed you do not have your pressures posted. I am sure results are different based on pressure your exposed to, tightness of headgear, and the individual's acceptable leak tolerance. Good luck with the mask. If you don't like it and don't have return options, I'll be glad to work out an exchange with you for a new Quattro FX I have stored assuming we are the same size.

My progression has been Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX (90 days), Mirage Quattro, Quattro Air (since release).

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

I've been using the Quattro Air for several months. I like the mask as a whole. The straps are excellent and the cushion detaches easily for quick cleanup. However, twice, I woke with my lower lip not covered by the cushion. It's only happened twice so not a big deal. The mask is the most comfortable FFM that I've used. I did use the Quattro Mirage FFM and had a real bad experience with it. The QM was almost a deal breaker for me. But, I do read that a lot of users love it. In fact, my DME tells me it's the most popular mask at their office. Hope this helps.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 am

I can tolerate most minor leaks & I really loved the feel and fit of the Quattro Air mask.

It was an awesome mask for about 4 hours of use for me.

After 4 hours, the Quattro Air kept developing loud face farts on my cheek bone area that woke me up. I even tried Pad-A-Cheek liners. After 3-4 weeks of trial, I had to give up on it.

My mask progression has been similar to STL Marks....Quattro FX, Quattro, Quattro Air and now I'm back to old reliable Quattro.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 am

MagsterMile wrote:I've been using the Quattro Air for several months. I like the mask as a whole. The straps are excellent and the cushion detaches easily for quick cleanup. However, twice, I woke with my lower lip not covered by the cushion. It's only happened twice so not a big deal. The mask is the most comfortable FFM that I've used. I did use the Quattro Mirage FFM and had a real bad experience with it. The QM was almost a deal breaker for me. But, I do read that a lot of users love it. In fact, my DME tells me it's the most popular mask at their office. Hope this helps.
Finally! Someone other than myself has experienced the "lower lip fallout syndrome" with this mask!

My theory about what may cause it is that the silicone seal seems to be semi-opaque compared to the clear silicone on the other Resmed masks, and somehow it is more slippery and prone to slide around a bit. I have solved my problem on most nights by washing my face with hot water and soap just before bed, washing the cushion with warm water and baby shampoo every morning, and tightening the lower strap a little tighter.

I otherwise like the mask so much that for now I'll try to put up with this problem. I usually wake up and fix it, but of course large leak numbers and AHI aren't good on nights when this happens!

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Had moderate success with the QA last night. It's now after 1:20 p.m. CDT and I feel fine, albeit not as good as after many of my Q-FX experiences. Went to bed at 10:30 last night and slept until 4:40 a.m. and then had a bit of trouble going back to sleep but eventually did until almost 7 a.m.

The location of the CO2 portal was a concern because at times I wasn't sure if I had leaks or it was just the normal 'old air' being released.

A few leaks did occur around my eyes and I'm planning on tightening those new straps ever so slightly tonight. Lord I HATE that sensation of the poofs of air irritating my lashes.

Was not used to having the forehead brace and although it caused no problems, I felt somewhat constricted compared to the Q-FX.

Thanks for all your help. God bless!

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

STL Mark:

My pressure is 10. How does the QA hold up with that??

If you're a baseball fan, good luck in the Cards/Pirates game tonight. Conversely, if Pittsburgh wins and then gets through the NLCS, my son (lawyer in Pittsburgh) has invited me to a game with him. Woo!

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 pm

I have had no problems going up to 18 or so. Leaks do increase as pressure goes up however it is still within acceptable limits.

Regarding the game, hopefully you won't have a chance to attend a game with your son this season...

Good luck with your mask trial. Have fun out there.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm

old dude wrote: Finally! Someone other than myself has experienced the "lower lip fallout syndrome" with this mask!
This has not happened to me, although I can understand the possibility of it happening depending on your mask size.(particularly if you're "in-between" sizes) I think the reason for this may be due to the fact that the Q Air does run *slightly* smaller in sizing. For some this may make a difference, for others, not so much.

Vader

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Vader wrote:
old dude wrote: Finally! Someone other than myself has experienced the "lower lip fallout syndrome" with this mask!
This has not happened to me, although I can understand the possibility of it happening depending on your mask size.(particularly if you're "in-between" sizes) I think the reason for this may be due to the fact that the Q Air does run *slightly* smaller in sizing. For some this may make a difference, for others, not so much.
Yep, I think you're completely right on the sizing. My head, and face by association, has often been compared to a 5 gallon bucket. So I'm "in-between sizes" all right with the Quattro Air-in between an XL and an XXL. Problem is of course, they only make up to a large. (I call Resmed about twice a month and beg for an XL to be developed.) I had to dump the factory headgear and graft on one from an F & P Eson mask because it has an adjustable top strap, which the Air's factory headgear lacks. Having said that the Eson headgear fits perfectly and is about 5 times the quality of the Resmed headgear.

So I tread lightly every night hoping for a good night with the mask. When it works for me it works very, very well. Extremely quiet, no leaks and I hardly know it's there. By comparison the Mirage Quattro, my next best choice, feels like a brick on my face and is guaranteed to brutalize the bridge of my nose.

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks, folks!

Like a few of you, I'm a buckethead: a Swedish/Irish/English one. I opted for a large on the QA after a medium on the FX because I'd heard that the sizes ran small.

During last night's trial run I kept the straps at a middling level. When I tried a QM last winter I tightened the thing way too much and it was a disaster. After exchanging it for the QFX, I went slowly night-by-night (made marks on the strap with a Sharpie) and endured leaks and slippage but finally found a great fit. This is what I'll do with the QA.

Thanks again!

BTW, STL Mark, as you noticed, I'm definitely NOT a Pirate fan. My son (who grew up here in the Midwest but went to law school in Philly) and I are Brewer fans but merely want to see good baseball for the sake of it.Cards win? Great, they're always so well-managed. Pirates win? Great AND I'll get to see a WS game. Saw a 2011 NLDS game against Arizona but that's it.

Could be far worse: we could be Cub fans!

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Best mask I have used to date.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth