Sizing for Full Face Masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoriC

Sizing for Full Face Masks?

Post by DoriC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm back to experimenting with the AIR and Simplus FF masks because they seem much more comfortable and since both our Ultra Mirage and QuattroFF are giving uneven results from night to night. So far he seem to do better with the AIR. The Simplus leaves marks on his face and he doesn't seem as comfortable. I've done measurements on both and Mike seems to fit between Med and Large. His Simplus is Medium and AIR is Large, although he wears Medium in the Quattro and UM. What is the general consensus when you're between sizes, go smaller or larger?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Denial Dave

Re: Sizing for Full Face Masks?

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I've been lucky in that I'm consistently a medium. If the Quattro Air frame was slightly wider I'd have kept it. Its a darn shame too because I liked the feel a lot.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 pm

I have found that larger almost always works better when doing mask fittings if the client is between sizes.

With full-face masks, the bottom of the cushion doesn't seem to seal as well if you're trying to balance the mid point of the chin and the bridge of the nose on a mask that's on the smaller side. I have had a lot of customers say their lower lip comes out of the mask if I go with the smaller size.

Regarding the "fitting guides", I have had very little luck unfortunately using them. I am a little reluctant to say they are completely worthless, because they do put you in the ballpark. Hemisphere? Galaxy? Perhaps I should put it like this. If the sizing chart says you are a medium and you end up being a large or small, there is no need to become emotional. It happens all the time.

Hope that helps Dori. Good topic!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 pm

That's what I wanted to hear! I tried the Air in Medium and it seemed narrow and "squished" his face, the Large seems to fit better and not so narrow although it's just really the length that changed. So who's emotional??

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:33 pm

DoriC wrote:That's what I wanted to hear! I tried the Air in Medium and it seemed narrow and "squished" his face, the Large seems to fit better and not so narrow although it's just really the length that changed. So who's emotional??
Dori
I've used the Quattro Air in Medium (my usual size in Resmed FF) and liked it a lot. But recently decided to try the LARGE size cushion (which fits the same frame), and surprisingly, I like the mask even better than before! The strange thing is that when you compare the cushions there isn't a very big difference in length.
For those people who normally use a large, Resmed REALLY should offer an Extra Large.

Vader

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Dori,

I don't know how closely this sizing guide works with the masks you're looking at, but you could do some measuring and then checking to see. Do those masks have sizing templates available?

For me (and the UMFF), I measured exactly halfway between the Medium and Large.......and went with the Large. But, found out in recent years that the Medium will "work", but is not quite as comfortable and the leakage can be a little higher. I have some of both sizes and normally wear the Large, but occasionally experiment with a Medium for a month at a time.

http : // www . cpap . com/cpap-mask-sizing . php

Den

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 pm

I did use the sizing guide for the Air and that's how I came up with that in-between M/L but closer to Med. Now it's got me wondering after all this time if I should have tried a Large in the UM or Quattro, although he measured a solid Medium in both if I remember correctly and that's what the DME measured too. Maybe the wrong size has been the leaking problem all along. I'm sure SleepWell is right about the sizing guides. I really wish you could try the AIR and give a review??