Latest and greatest full face masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Vader

Re: Latest and greatest full face masks?

Post by Vader » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Lukie wrote:I'm wondering if it would be possible to take a caste of one's face and have a mask made with a 3-D printer filled with silicone materials? Would it fit better?
In theory, it sounds like a good idea, but I don't think there are 3D printers that are fitted for silicone use.
Somebody could probably figure a way to make a cast of your face. Perhaps the stuff the dentist uses to make a mold of your teeth? idk?
Could probably make the template (out of plastic) on the 3D printer though...
Someone with a thorough knowledge of 3D printers would have to chime in here. But, I did see a video of people who made handguns with a 3D printer! so there are probably many possibilities.

Vader

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Lukie wrote:I'm wondering if it would be possible to take a caste of one's face and have a mask made with a 3-D printer filled with silicone materials? Would it fit better?

The one problem I see with that method, besides the technical difficulties, is that your face changes when you fall asleep. Your jaw may drop down, your jaw may recede backwards, your cheeks may relax, your mouth may gape open... any number of things can happen as your body/brain switches from Conscious Mode to Autonomic Nervous System Mode, none of which is under your control. To fit a face really well, a custom made 3d mask should be scanned when you are sound asleep, IMO... and that's a huge task to contemplate.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 pm

I thought about trying to use the strips that they used to use to make plaster casts and make a mold of my nose. After it dried I could coat the inside with vaseline and fill it with plaster. Then it would be stuck inside and not come out, so I gave up the idea.

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:27 am

The plastics used in 3d printers have to be thermoset or UV curable I believe. A mask frame could be printed I think but the cushion would be an issue.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Thank you for all of the great information. I'm looking forward to my appointment tomorrow morning with my DME provider to try out a new mask.

-Chuck-

Sgwilliamson

Post by Sgwilliamson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes mirage Quattro is an excellent FFM

MrStein

Post by MrStein » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 am

I know I will get flamed for this one, but guess what?
Sleepweaver Anew Version 2 is coming.
I still have some issues with my 1st version, but still my favorite.
I am a beta tester so if you are curious, message me.
I do not have one yet. I think we are still a few weeks away.
Improved fit, leak and noise issues are being addressed.
And no, I am not being paid to say this.
Just another hose head trying to find the perfect mask.

"The future of yesterday is tomorrow's today"

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Rifleman:

I've tried masks other than the Quattro FX but every one had a major problem that made the good old QFX better by comparison. The biggest rip on the FX is that it rides up one's face as the night progresses but I nipped that by adding a chin strap below my jaw bones that stabilized the movements.

The Quattro Air worked fine but gradually beat the daylights out of the bones on the left and right sides of my nose. Those areas became so bruised and inflamed that my glasses rode higher on my face than they should. If that wasn't bad enough, the redness and pain made the mask impossible to keep on wearing.

God bless and good luck.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:34 am

MrStein wrote:I know I will get flamed for this one, but guess what?
Sleepweaver Anew Version 2 is coming.
I still have some issues with my 1st version, but still my favorite.
I am a beta tester so if you are curious, message me.
I do not have one yet. I think we are still a few weeks away.
Improved fit, leak and noise issues are being addressed.
And no, I am not being paid to say this.
Just another hose head trying to find the perfect mask.
Hmm, why the heck would anyone flame you? I tried 1 and thought it could be a great mask if it would stop leaking. I found it extremely comfortable even when I had to tighten the straps. But then were those evil massive leaks.

Just pmd you for more information.

49er

OldSarge

Post by OldSarge » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:09 am

old dude wrote:
Lukie wrote: Well, except for the Philips Amara. Very few people seem to have much good to say about it.
I guess I am in the "minority report" again. I have been CPAP'ng since Oct of last year. I was issued a MIrage Quattro with a S9 Autoset. My unit was first set to CPAP mode with two to three weeks rechecks while I was in the VA hospital for other things.
In December the tech turned the Autoset on for a period due to unresolved high AHI's. Both Central and Obstructive.
I got into a period of high congestion. For four days I could not use the unit for more than an hour or so. The mask literally felt like it was going to fly off my face.

He then issued me the Respronics Amara Gel mask. It also has the regular original silicone insert in the package for those that don't want to use the the gel.
The S9 was reset for CPAP at 15cm, and my AHI has been much much lower ever since.
Probably a combination of factors, but the Amara Gel mask has helped me. I have used the Quattro about three nights since I've had the Amara and the AHi levels went higher again, albeit not up to the 40's I had been seeing.
With the Amara Gel I have been pretty consistent with AHI under 5.0. When I used the Quattro in this recent period, they went back up over 15.
Oddly enough since I have been using Rescan and Sleepyhead I see that the Quattro shows less leakage than the Amara Gel. I personally notice more leakage with the Quattro than the Amara gel. The machine disagrees. Funny how perception ensues.

For me I think it the inherent firmness of the inner Gel support allows a tighter and more uniform seal around my nose and eyes. It took me three days to place it on the right spot for me. It really helps to "pivot" the mask down from the forehead onto the chin. After that I've had no sore on my nose. I do have a slight indentation on the skin, but no felt irratation or redness. I like the fact that the mask is more compact than the Quattro, it makes it easier for me to locate in the correct spot. I still have to firmly strap it to my face - like the Quattro.

One day I tried using the normal silicone insert that comes in the package. BIG FAIL. Leaked like it was cheesecloth.

So there are some of us who may see an advantage with the Amara. Just be aware the new package has both the Gel and the Silicone insert. The snap in / snap off feature of this facing insert is MUCH easier than the two piece frame and silicone seal of the Quattro by the way.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

I just did a sleep study with a Quattro Air and it is a very nice mask. It is noticeably smaller than a Quattro FX. At first I thought it may be better for me than the FX, but I think I'll stick with what I have for now.

One thing for sure is the headgear is infinitely better than the FX. The FX headgear is a horrible design because it pulls the mask up your face instead of straight back. The only reason I can tolerate the FX is because I long abandoned the Resmed FX headgear in favor of elastic straps. The Air pulls the mask back and not up. I did cinch it up pretty tight and didn't have a leak problem. I also did use it under high pressure so I can't comment on how well it seals under those circumstances. But masks are so personal that one model will not please everyone.

I have not tried the Quattro with the forehead support, but I will say that it took me a couple years to get rid of the indents on my forehead from the years of using my old Ultra Mirage.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

library lady

Post by library lady » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm

The Quattro Air, with RemZzzz liner to eliminate most of the leaks.... without the liner, forget it! But that's just me, a newbie with a round face who didn't know enough about trying them on. I didn't research them ahead of time; it's what the DME gave me based on the sleep study results and the doc's RX. I do like the Air now that I've solved the problem of leaks. I do not have strap marks, or marks on my face from the mask.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.