Latest and greatest full face masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chuck Connors

Latest and greatest full face masks?

Post by Chuck Connors » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm currently using the Resmed Quattro FX mask and it's been awhile since I've checked to find out what's available in the marketplace. Is there an updated version of this mask coming out this year? Thanks. Chuck.

Lukie

Re: Latest and greatest full face masks?

Post by Lukie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:17 pm

ResMed's latest full face mask is the Quattro Air. It is light and well designed but leaks a lot, but not that much more that a quattro fx and it is much more comfortable.

SuddenlyWornOut45

Post by SuddenlyWornOut45 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 pm

I personally do not think the original Resmed Quattro FFM will ever be surpassed. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Full face masks are a PITA, but a necessary evil sometimes (oftentimes actually). Full face masks are not comfortable, least the ones that work well are not comfortable.

Eric

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 am

Simplus. Quattro air.

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 am

Lukie wrote:ResMed's latest full face mask is the Quattro Air. It is light and well designed but leaks a lot, but not that much more that a quattro fx and it is much more comfortable.
I agree with all this except the leaks part. I struggled mightily with leaks and tried virtually every FFM on the market, with no success in stopping leaks until I tried the Air. I couldn't make mine leak if I smacked it with a hammer, as long as my jaw doesn't drop out of it. I think leaks are on a person-to-person basis per mask, and it's definitely hard to generalize. Well, except for the Philips Amara. Very few people seem to have much good to say about it.

I haven't yet tried the Simplus, and likely won't unless the Quattro Air begins to fail me for some reason.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 am

I've tried the Quattro FX, the Quattro, Quattro Air and the F & P Simplus.

My mask of choice is still the Quattro!!

The Quattro FX moved too much during my sleep and leaked... I did not have the patience to try and fix it with chin straps,etc...

My humble opinion is that the issue with the Quattro Air has to do with the profile of the plastic frame. It's not as wide as the Quattro or the FX...

so if you have a rounder shaped face in the cheek area; it tends to leak badly. Some folks have found success with the Quattro Air using a larger sized cushion.

The F & P Simplus is a great mask and I had no leaks. But the single wall type cushion was just not comfortable for me at my higher pressures. As best I can describe it, it felt like it had over-inflated and the edge was riding on my cheeks.

hope that helps

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 am

I have been using the Quattro Fx large for over 3 years. I can get it adjusted so that it seldom if ever leaks. I tried the Quattro Air mask and it seems more comfortable than the FX. But I can not get it to not leak or bruise my nose. I have tried everthing to fix the problem .

If you have something that works it may be better to stick with it.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:33 am

I've tried lots of FFMs and I still think the Quattro line, both Mirage and FX models, are about the best, at least for a certain group of people with certain types of faces. My Quattro FX doesn't leak much but I do have it tighter than I really like, still it isn't uncomfortable. This comfort i attribute to my Padacheek liner which muffles small leaks very nicely... and I sometimes have my pressures jet up to 19cmH20. Of course I shave before going to bed which is a big PITA but it's worth it to sleep all night without leaks. I also use the bike cuff strap trick which is looped under my chin to secure the lower frame arms.... a minimal chinstrap I like to call it.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

icipher

Post by icipher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm

I have a mirage quattro and a quatro air. The quattro air leaks way too much. I much prefer the mirage.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm

I have the F & P Simplus and like it a lot.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

I use the Quattro. I have the FX also but it tends to leak a lot. My doctor wanted me to use a nasal mask but in my sleep study I started to snore a little bit right before they woke me up so I decided to use a fullface mask in case I was going to let air out of my mouth because I did not want to use a chinstrap. I would like to try one of those gel filled masks to see how that feels and fits.

SayHelloForMe

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 pm

I liked the Quattro FX quite a bit even though it would leak at the same point on my face(along one side of my nose) if I moved wrong.

I switched to a F&P Simplus and my leaks have been negligible. It's got a deeper cushion that fits my face better; allowing me to snug the mask just a bit tighter and still be comfortable without having leaks.

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Chuck Connors wrote:I'm currently using the Resmed Quattro FX mask and it's been awhile since I've checked to find out what's available in the marketplace. Is there an updated version of this mask coming out this year? Thanks. Chuck.
I like the Quattro Air and the Mirage Quattro the best. I've used the QuattroFX but prefer the Air, and the Mirage. You'll have to see which one will work for you by trying them.

Vader

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm

I have used the Mirage Quattro for about 7 years and have been happy with it.
I participated in a Respironics mask trial that lasted about a year and ended last summer. I think that it has been released as a new version of the Amara.

At least the one they sent me a bonus for being in the trial was in a box labeled Amara but I believe the Amara mask has been out for a while and this one just went to production a few months ago.
In any case it is a little more comfortable that the Quattro because it doesn't have to be quite as tight as the Quattro to stop leakage. I am now using it instead of the Quattro.
If you can be sure you are getting their latest version it might be worth while to try it.
Last edited by ClayL on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

Lukie

Post by Lukie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm wondering if it would be possible to take a caste of one's face and have a mask made with a 3-D printer filled with silicone materials? Would it fit better?