Quattro Air

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knothead

Quattro Air

Post by knothead » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Who has tried the new Quattro Air and how is it compared to the Mirage Quattro. Just want some opinions before I try it...sleep well my friend

CapnLoki

Re: Quattro Air

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I used the quattro for 3 months and then switched to the quattro air. The quattro fit me so well that I had the straps very loose and it worked fine until the pressure got over 10. I didn't like the size, though, and switched to the air. It doesn't fit as well and I needed to tighten the straps a bit more, but on balance, I prefer the smaller, lighter air to the larger quattro. The smaller size and light weight is very noticeable, but how well it fits, only you can determine.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

dinycat

Post by dinycat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Knothead
I have used the Quattro Air for Her for over a week, now, and it is so much better than the regular Quattro. It's much smaller, and doesn't cover so much of the face. It's made it possible for me to sleep on my side, which is what I prefer.

The only issue I've had is eye leaks, but solved it with pads. But they made it too hot for me, so I went back to instructions and figured out the correct way to put the thing on. It's made a big difference. Last night, I had no leaks, and I don't think I woke up once. I don't even remember turning over!

So far, it's the best, but I've only tried three masks, total, and the other was a nasal mask. But I'm a mouth breather.

dinycat

PS. Mine is pink!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 pm

i've been a Quattro user for almost 5 years. Recently I tried the new Quattro Air for a week and could not control the leaks. My DME exchanged it for another Quattrro. I always used a Med in the Quattro and it was suggested that I try a Lg in the Quattro Air. I found that the Air model in Lg was tighter that the Med in the Quattro.

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm

If I consider the Mirage Quattro to be a sledgehammer, then the Quattro Air is a feather. I struggled a long time with the Quattro and the bottom line was that just when I got it tight enough not to leak (yeah, I know about all the "don't over tighten it" mantra-didn't work for me) then it pulverized my nose into hamburger. After 6+ months I still have the scars. The Air is the lightest, most minimalistic FFM mask that I'm aware of on the market and I've tried most of them. Simple to use and even simpler to clean. You hardly know it's there, plus zero leaks for me. Be aware that it does run about one size smaller than most other FFM masks.

kbobtn

Post by kbobtn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 pm

I have been using the Air for several months and don't want to consider going back! The light weight and superior exhaust design are selling points (my wife won't want me back with the regular quattro or fx because of the wind). I did have leak problems for a while (I have a "Noble" nose), but fixed them with a Boomerang Gel Pad (cpap.com) placed inside the edge of the cushion - not between the cushion and my nose. This has lasted for months! I'm sold.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm waiting to get a quattro air from my DME. I went in Tuesday and tried one on anI really liked how light it is. A large seems to be right between a medium and large quattro, which is great because the med quattro was a little small and a large is a little to big. I was finally able to get the leaks stopped while lying on my side, so I thought I would give it a try. Now I just have to wait while Carecentrix holds it on their desk for a couple of weeks before approving it. I really dislike Carecentrix. I hope it works out for me in real life.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm

The Air is not as wide as the quattro. So facial structure near your cheeks has a lot to do with success & failure of the Air.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 pm

knothead wrote:Who has tried the new Quattro Air and how is it compared to the Mirage Quattro. Just want some opinions before I try it...sleep well my friend
I used the Mirage Quattro for a couple years, and although I did like it, I've found the Quattro Air to be a great improvement over the Mirage. The Air is much lighter, more comfortable on the nose, and has greatly improved headgear. I've always used a size medium in all my Resmed full face masks, but for the Air, I switched to a size large because they run slightly smaller. All is can say is give it a try, you'll have to be the ultimate judge.

Vader

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:44 am

Denial Dave wrote:The Air is not as wide as the quattro. So facial structure near your cheeks has a lot to do with success & failure of the Air.
What type of facial structure are you referring to that would improve the success rate of the mask?
My guy at the VA ordered one for me yesterday. He said medium size is what I need. Now that I'm hearing that they run small, I'm a bit anxious.

Lukie

Post by Lukie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 am

I couldn't get the "Air" to stop leaking so I am asking for a "Simplus" next month as my full face mask. Right now I'm using the "Nano" but have an Activa LT and a Fand P eson on order for my nasal. The Nano is great but you can only replace its cushion once every three months as Medicare has said it is considered to be part of the frame....go figure.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 am

I've got a round face.. I tried medium & the large sizes, it felt like it was forcing my lips to pucker.

The Quattro Air leaked badly right around my cheeks.

Going by the Resmed specs, the frame of the Quattro Air is about 1/2 inch narrower in overall width than the Quattro.

it was just enough to make it fail as a mask for me

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

knothead

Post by knothead » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I take all these comments to heart and I am going to try the Air. I have tried several different masks and always ended back with the Quattro medium. I have it cinched down pretty good with no leaks,(have red lines in the morning, but who cares...lol). I understand that the same size (med) mask is the (Large) in the Air. Just looking for something lighter, this sounds like the ticket. Here's to better sleep...

cputrdoc

Post by cputrdoc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I like the seal of the Quattro Air better (more comfortable), and I particularly like that the forehead mount does not have multiple adjustment settings. However, as it is smaller, it will hit the bridge of your nose in a different spot, so it fits a little differently.

Frankly I'm not a fan of either mask -- the Mirage Quattro fits better but isn't as comfortable, the Quattro Air is more comfortable, but tends to slide around more 'cause it's not fitting quite right. That combined with being a side-sleeper and I don't get much sleep!! If only masks were as easy to try on as jeans, maybe I could find one that I could stick with! :p (sigh)

2 years later, still trying to find a mask that fits.

CPAP 4/2012-4/2013, AHI <9.5 "good day" AHI 12+ exhaustion
VPAP 4/2013-Present, can't keep it on for more than a couple of hours

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:34 pm

cputrdoc wrote:If only masks were as easy to try on as jeans, maybe I could find one that I could stick with! :p (sigh)

2 years later, still trying to find a mask that fits.
Who tries on jeans?

At least most of you are able to try on masks before choosing one. With the VA, they just send whatever I request. Granted, there are some good things about the VA: I have no co-pay, annual deductible, or monthly premium; I get to keep all the masks I've been issued; and I don't have any issues getting the mask I want. But, the fact that I can't try the masks on beforehand is a big drawback (they don't keep the masks on location and they're 2 hours away).

Anyway......to the point I wanted to make when I first started this response....

Has anyone used the Quatro Air, Mirage Liberty, and the Innomed Hybrid? Or any combination thereof?
If so, which ones worked for you leak-wise, and which ones didn't? If a particular mask leaked, please note what area of the mask was the most problematic.

I know where the Liberty and Hybrid leaked for me, and I have the Quatro Air on the way, so I'd like to see if anyone has had similar leak spots on the Liberty and/or Hybrid. That way, if the Air worked for those people, then it should work for me.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might break this out into a separate poll. What do you guys think?

FYI - Ritalin has me rambling like a mofo. ;D That's a separate thread/issue in and of itself.