Is there a Cheap, Light & Portable Battery?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
iflyvfr

Is there a Cheap, Light & Portable Battery?

Post by iflyvfr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 am

Has anyone found an inexpensive but light (<5 lbs) solution for a portable battery? I've read all the threads I can find and it seems the Pilot Pro battery on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DN0KBXU/re ... 20BC73H0PX doesn't have enough oomph? Am I stuck paying $300 for a lightweight battery?

I ask because I'm travelling in a small airplane and am planning to go 'plane-camping', so weight is important, every pound saved in gear is more fuel, performance, or stuff I can take along.
I have the Airsense 10 24V CPAP and would not be using the heater so I know I'm going to have to get the converter pack already...

Is there a definitive solution out there today other than the expensive solutions mentioned in previous threads?

Thanks!
Greg

sptrout

Re: Is there a Cheap, Light & Portable Battery?

Post by sptrout » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:10 am

You may want to consider the Pilot-24 Plus from Medistrom. I have one connected to my ResMed in case of a power failure during the night. I have not had an occasion to test it yet to see how long the battery will last, but I was only looking for something to get me through the night without having to get out of bed to connect a longer lasting solution.

http://www.medistrom.com/index.html

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Doesn't the plane have a 24v electrical system ? Maybe you could just "jack into" that. Good luck.

iflyvfr

Post by iflyvfr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm

It's a 12V system, good question!

iflyvfr

Post by iflyvfr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Medi$$$trom! This may be my only route, I realize that. Just hoping to find a more reasonable way to do this.

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Cpap.com is listing a new battery.
Would love to hear more about it.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps-fr ... y-kit.html

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 pm

iflyvfr wrote:Thanks for the tip on the Medi$$$trom! This may be my only route, I realize that. Just hoping to find a more reasonable way to do this.
The the Pilot Pro and the Medistrom have similar power capacity and may in fact have identical Lithium Ion cells. The difference is that the Medistrom is configured for 24V and claims to be compatible with the proprietary ResMed Plug, while the Pilot Pro is configured to power various cells phones and tablets and needs the 12/24V converter to work with ResMed. Whether its worth the exta bucks only you can say - in either case you have a power pack made with the lightest cells currently on the market.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 am

CapnLoki wrote:
iflyvfr wrote:Thanks for the tip on the Medi$$$trom! This may be my only route, I realize that. Just hoping to find a more reasonable way to do this.
The the Pilot Pro and the Medistrom have similar power capacity and may in fact have identical Lithium Ion cells. The difference is that the Medistrom is configured for 24V and claims to be compatible with the proprietary ResMed Plug, while the Pilot Pro is configured to power various cells phones and tablets and needs the 12/24V converter to work with ResMed. Whether its worth the exta bucks only you can say - in either case you have a power pack made with the lightest cells currently on the market.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but to be clear the Pilot Pro 24 is directly compatible with the ResMed 24VDC products. The ResMed APAP's power supply "brick" is connected to the Pilot Pro, and then a short jumper cable is connected between the Pilot Pro and the APAP's 24VDC input. There is no need for a 24VDC converter. Two jumper cables are provided, one for the AirSense Series and a second for the S9 Series of APAPs. Both jumper cables are clearly labeled to ensure that only the correct cable is used.

The Pilot Pro 12 is a 12VDC output device and is intended to be used with XPAP devices that have a 12VDC input jack.

The Pilot Pro's are expensive, but seem to be a good solution for short term (one or two nights) of backup power (more now with the new "add-on" battery option).

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:48 pm

sptrout wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but to be clear the Pilot Pro 24 is directly compatible with the ResMed 24VDC products.
you're confused, the pilot pro is *NOT* built for cpaps. capnloki is right, as usual.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 pm

palerider wrote:
sptrout wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but to be clear the Pilot Pro 24 is directly compatible with the ResMed 24VDC products.
you're confused, the pilot pro is *NOT* built for cpaps. capnloki is right, as usual.
It most certainly is; that is the only thing it is designed for. Check the website site provided previously, it shows the products that it is designed for and even how to interconnect them. I have had a Pilot 24 Plus connected to my ResMed 10 APAP for a couple months now.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 pm

I was comparing the 2 batteries linked to ... the pilot pro 32000 from amazon at $99 and the medistrom pilot 24 at $329. The cheap one is multivoltage but not specifically for cpaps, the pricy one is for resmed pumps

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

sptrout wrote:
palerider wrote:
sptrout wrote:
It most certainly is; that is the only thing it is designed for. Check the website site provided previously, it shows the products that it is designed for and even how to interconnect them. I have had a Pilot 24 Plus connected to my ResMed 10 APAP for a couple months now.
Pilot Pro is not equal, or the same device, as the pilot 24 plus.

unfortunate confusion of names...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm

CapnLoki wrote:I was comparing the 2 batteries linked to ... the pilot pro 32000 from amazon at $99 and the medistrom pilot 24 at $329. The cheap one is multivoltage but not specifically for cpaps, the pricy one is for resmed pumps

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Sorry, I didn't know that there were two products on the market with very similar names.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Check if these products make noise while they operate.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 pm

avi123 wrote:Check if these products make noise while they operate.
The Pilot 24 does not since it is 100% DC (no inverter). Inverters can cause a whine that may be audible to some. On this general subject, we use a pink noise generator every night that covers any noise except very loud noises like thunder. My wife got me hooked on using a noise generator every night.