Pap & sinus infections....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Apneak

Pap & sinus infections....

Post by Apneak » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi,

I find that I often get sinus infections with PAP, and when I get them, they're severe. I'm going to clean the equip more consistently now. But I also find that, if I've been infected, I basically have to forgo therapy for the duration of the infection, and then replace the hose, tank, and mask. No amount of cleaning prevents me from getting re-infected. Does any one have this experience? It's just really frustrating that the very thing that I depend on can make me so sick, and that I have to shell out dollars and time to replace everything then.

Julie

Re: Pap & sinus infections....

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Have you got your humidity on a high setting, or ??

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Apneak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm
No amount of cleaning prevents me from getting re-infected.
That's an indication that CPAP is NOT causing your sinus infections.

Sinusitis implies inflammation or infection, and not only due to bacteria. Other sources of inflammation can be caused by allergies, viruses, molds, and even stomach juice reflux. Please think about whether any of these factors exist in your case.

Apneak

Post by Apneak » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:05 pm

no but then replacing the equipment solves the problem. Soap and Vinegar don't kill everything. Maybe I wasn't clear, by "no amount of cleaning prevents reinfection" I meant by the same equipment, not new equipment.

humidity setting is medium.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:42 pm

You are making no sense.

Judging by your past threads/posts you are a pathological whiner. :wink:

JPB

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 am

I use to get them several times a year. You need to see an ENT. I had a deviated septum and a turbinate reduction. My sinus now drain properly and I haven’t had a sinus infection since.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 am

Apneak wrote:
Hi,

I find that I often get sinus infections with PAP, and when I get them, they're severe. I'm going to clean the equip more consistently now. But I also find that, if I've been infected, I basically have to forgo therapy for the duration of the infection, and then replace the hose, tank, and mask. No amount of cleaning prevents me from getting re-infected. Does any one have this experience? It's just really frustrating that the very thing that I depend on can make me so sick, and that I have to shell out dollars and time to replace everything then.
This is just to refute the post above.

This poster, as indicated, has a long history of a style of posts.

One does not get "re-infected", no matter what some people, like the OP think, biology simply doesn't work that way.

Vinegar *is* very effective at killing organisms, though it isn't necessary to do that, because CPAPs don't make people sick.

I personally have far fewer sinus problems since I started using cpap 11 years ago and the only time I use vinegar is when I get mineral buildup in my water tank (I usually use tap water, when I use water at all).

OP needs to look elsewhere for his sinus problems, but I don't expect them to do so, because it's easier to whine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Apneak

Post by Apneak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 am
Apneak wrote:
Hi,

This is just to refute the post above.

This poster, as indicated, has a long history of a style of posts.

One does not get "re-infected", no matter what some people, like the OP think, biology simply doesn't work that way.

Vinegar *is* very effective at killing organisms, though it isn't necessary to do that, because CPAPs don't make people sick.

I personally have far fewer sinus problems since I started using cpap 11 years ago and the only time I use vinegar is when I get mineral buildup in my water tank (I usually use tap water, when I use water at all).

OP needs to look elsewhere for his sinus problems, but I don't expect them to do so, because it's easier to whine.
"It is possible to re-infect yourself with bacteria, however. If you were afflicted with strep throat, for example, a colony of streptococcal bacteria might end up on your toothbrush and remain there long enough to give you a second case after you’d taken a course of penicillin." https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... teeth.html (Health Expert from Columbia U).

"f you are going to use vinegar as a cleanser, it’s important to decide whether your goal is to clean, or to disinfect. If you want to disinfect – that is, effectively kill most bacteria – you may wish to use a disinfectant spray or cleanser that has directions for killing germs, or a bleach and water solution" - National Science Foundation. https://www.nsf.org/knowledge-library/r ... th-vinegar

"There is a potential risk of infection, including sinus infections and pneumonia, from using a CPAP machine." https://www.verywellhealth.com/can-cpap ... ing%20sick.(reviewed by an MD)

"A dirty CPAP machine contaminated with germs like viruses and bacteria can make you sick." the fda https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... a-approved

I thought about not responding here and indulging palerider. But I think it's worth calling him/her out. Palerider clearly often believes he is the smartest person in the room, but he/she is really just a troll, and a moron.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm

I guess I'm a stickler, but when I want medical info, I don't look to Verywell or Slate to get it... but that's just me.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm

I have been on cpap for over 11 years, and rarely get sick. I am not an over eager clean freak either. I will go ages without cleaning, if I think I am coming down with a cold, I will use wipes on the pillows of my mask....... that's it! I don't empty my humidifier chamber either, unless I see something in there.. and I don't know how anything would get in there to contaminate it anyway, I just keep adding distilled water every night.
You are just trying to be a fear monger and get folks riled up. Please don't listen to this person, he doesn't know what he is talking about. If he has nasal infections, its not from his cpap!!!

Cheers.. and stay safe.

Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Do not cram a tooth brush up your nose after brushing your teeth when you have strep throat. :D

Use whatever you feel is best when you use a disinfectant. :D

There is a potential risk of living a longer healthier life if you use a CPAP machine. :D

If your machine is dirty germ,virus and bacteria contaminated... clean it. :D

Stop the whine. :roll:

JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Apneak wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm
"It is possible to re-infect yourself with bacteria. ...
you may wish
"There is a potential
I thought about not responding here and indulging palerider. But I think it's worth calling him/her out. Palerider clearly often believes he is the smartest person in the room, but he/she is really just a troll, and a moron.
You need to get better sources of information, and a LOT more knowledge.

Sure, it's easy to find some website out there on the internet that says *ANYTHING* you want to believe, because your poor knowledge isn't unique to you.

Try and do better.
Apneak wrote:
"A dirty CPAP machine contaminated with germs like viruses and bacteria can make you sick." the fda https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... a-approved
Try and do better, read some *studies*. and even those are often fraught with errors, find correlations, find supporting materials,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5611769/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716664/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16236866

For starters.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Apneak

Post by Apneak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:12 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm
Apneak wrote:
"It is possible to re-infect yourself with bacteria. ...
you may wish
"There is a potential
You need to get better sources of information, and a LOT more knowledge.

Sure, it's easy to find some website out there on the internet that says *ANYTHING* you want to believe, because your poor knowledge isn't unique to you.

Try and do better.
Apneak wrote:
Try and do better, read some *studies*. and even those are often fraught with errors, find correlations, find supporting materials,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5611769/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716664/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16236866

For starters.
It's the ******* (profanity removed) FDA palerider. What is it that you think they do?

Apneak

Post by Apneak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm
I guess I'm a stickler, but when I want medical info, I don't look to Verywell or Slate to get it... but that's just me.
the sources from those articles are professionals.

Apneak

Post by Apneak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:31 pm

jimbud wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm
Do not cram a tooth brush up your nose after brushing your teeth when you have strep throat. :D

Use whatever you feel is best when you use a disinfectant. :D

There is a potential risk of living a longer healthier life if you use a CPAP machine. :D

If your machine is dirty germ,virus and bacteria contaminated... clean it. :D

Stop the whine. :roll:

JPB
I was taking a survey to see if people had the same experience. Clearly, people do not. However, I'm sure that the machine at the very least, severely exacerbates a sinus infection, because you're just breathing your own infected particles. I'm not fear mongering I'm posting legitimately sourced articles on a forum for a discussion based on facts.