Occasionally unable to breath when using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TooGroggy

Occasionally unable to breath when using CPAP

Post by TooGroggy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 pm

Hi all,

I am posting this for a family member who had APNEA symptoms (some light snoring, fatigue, etc.) They did an at-home test that showed 6 or so events per hour. The doctor prescribed them a CPAP machine that was set for a range of 4-12. After several nights during which they had the usual difficulties with the mask, they were able to keep the mask on for a few hours each night. During those nights, the machine reported between 5 and 10 events per hour and the person usually woke up unable to exhale. They are still tired during the day and have all but given up on using the machine.

The doctor suggested raising the upper limit of the pressure setting to 14 (the machine was reporting average pressures around 11.8). The doctor also suggested that the patient may need a BiPAP machine and is working to schedule them for a sleep study in a sleep lab.

This person has sought my advice. I've been on CPAP for almosti 20 years and I used to know all about reading and interpreting the detailed charts. But my AHI has been at less than 1 for years and I have filed all of that information far away in the archives of my brain.

Before I post the person's chart, I am trying to help them with some simple questions about the sleep study in the lab. The one I went through consisted of two periods: one without the mask and one with. Is that pretty much how it goes when the patient needs a BiPAP or a VPAP machine? Also, is the study able to detect what is causing this person to have difficulty exhaling even if they don't have an actual episode? They are concerned that it won't happen during the night and they'll have to repeat the study until it happens (which their insurance won't cover).

On a side note, would it help to reduce the pressure range on their CPAP while they wait for the sleep study? I just have this feeling that 4-14 is "sloppy" but don't recall why.

Thanks.

Okie bipap

Re: Occasionally unable to breath when using CPAP

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:56 pm

Since they have already been diagnosed with sleep apnea, they will have the mask on all night long. This will be a titration study to determine what pressure(s) they need and if a bi-level machine is necessary.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:23 pm

TooGroggy wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 pm
Also, is the study able to detect what is causing this person to have difficulty exhaling even if they don't have an actual episode? They are concerned that it won't happen during the night and they'll have to repeat the study until it happens (which their insurance won't cover).
It depends on what is causing the difficulty. The easy assumption is: pressure rises to the point where exhaling against it is bothering this person.
In a sleep lab, the pressure will be raised by the sleep tech, and the sleep tech will see it happening.

On a side note, would it help to reduce the pressure range on their CPAP while they wait for the sleep study? I just have this feeling that 4-14 is "sloppy" but don't recall why.

Thanks.
Download OSCAR, get an SD for the machine, keep it in the machine for the night, and upload the charts. Pay special attention to the median pressure.
(Could you please give this person a name? Adam? Eve?)

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

TooGroggy

Post by TooGroggy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:23 am

Okie bipap wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:56 pm
ozij wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:23 pm
Okie and Ozij, thank you for responding to my message earlier this year. For some reason I did not see your responses until tonight. My apologies. I did not mean to ignore you.