CPAP Novice User

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eddie57

CPAP Novice User

Post by eddie57 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi fellow CPAP users,

I was diagnosed with an obstructive sleep apnea about 2 years ago and purchased a ResMed S9 Autoset CPAP machine in January 2014. After buying my machine I tried sleeping with the CPAP but was never able to fall asleep. About 6 weeks ago I got an Rx for sleeping pills and slept with the unit for 3 days in October. I got off the Rx and tried to sleep with my CPAP, but couldn't. On Friday night, I said to myself, that I was going to sleep with my CPAP machine and I did. Last night I also slept with the CPAP, but only for around 5 hours.

What I noticed these last two days, was that I was waking up with a very dry mouth and my throat was a bit irritated. I also burped a large amount of air when get up, like when you have a large coke and then belch. I also noticed when I was falling asleep that air was being released through my mouth. Kind of like a release valve. Not sure what that means

About 15 minutes ago I downloaded the Sleepyhead software and the report said my mask (nasal type) was leaking too much.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get on the right tract?

Eddie

PS: My unit has the humidifier and I am using it.

MaskingtheNightAway

Re: CPAP Novice User

Post by MaskingtheNightAway » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:26 pm

I had the same experience (blowing around and very dry) with Nasal Masks and quickly changed to full face.

Full face masks do not allow the air to just blow in the nostrils and right out your mouth. Having both the mouth and nose under pressure keeps me open.

Do you have a humidifier? Have you worked with those settings to avoid the dryness?

Too high of a humidity setting and you'll get water and moisture in the hose and around your nose. Move it up slowly.

If you can tolerate a full face mask, it solves a lot of these problems. Less leaks, no mouth bypassing, and you get full effect of the therapy pressure.

Don't give up. Find what works for you!

eddie57

Re: CPAP Novice User

Post by eddie57 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you very much for your comments. I will call CPAP.com where I purchased my unit and see how they can assist me in correcting my issues. Best.