Question about AHI=0 on Resmed S9 Autoset and Software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jayjonbeach

Question about AHI=0 on Resmed S9 Autoset and Software

Post by Jayjonbeach » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:17 am

Last night is the first night my machine says everything = 0, ie AI, AHI etc.

I immediately threw the card into the laptop and on the detailed chart, events don't even show on the graph. Now I mean there are no events obviously but that section of the graph does not even show???

If I go to the day before, the events part of the graph shows and of course the events that happened are there.

I was expecting the events part of the graph to still be there, and it would just show no events.

So is it normal that the software does not even how that part of the graph if you have absolutely NO events or is there possible a problem with the S9 machine?

TIA

Tired of being tired for 20 years running, hoping this is the answer...

avi123

Re: Question about AHI=0 on Resmed S9 Autoset and Software

Post by avi123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:14 pm

A CPAP that shows AHI = 0 would be IMO defective. I know about studies done on APAPs such as your S9 showing that they skipped detecting obstructive apneas but not to such a degree. I would try to pinch the air hose several times for diff lengths of time and check if any "apneas" show up. I would check it in the Statistics part ResScan. If none, I would then take it to my DME for "calibration".

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I would unplug the machine from electric outlet. Then plug back in and thus give the machine a "reboot" and see if question resolves itself tonight.

There have been a handful of others reporting some odd things on software reports. Reboot seemed to help.

Could have just been a reporting hiccup but if it continues there could be a problem that warrants a checkup with DME.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Remember that each day is from noon to noon, not midnight to midnight. You may be looking at a day -- from noon today through noon tomorrow -- that does not include any sleep yet and, therefore, does not include any data. When looking at your data, it is best to look at the period ending with yesterday's calendar date.

Remember also, unless I am mistaken, an event is not recorded as an event unless it lasts for at least 10 seconds. You may still be having events of 9 seconds or less. 0.0 does not necessarily meaning that NOTHING is going on.

0.0 does not necessarily mean the machine is defective. I recently had six 0.0 nights in a row, so I lowered my pressure from 13 to 12. At 12, my AHI was 0.4 for the last two days. It appears that my treatment is extremely effective because I have made major lifestyle changes, lost some weight, gotten off my statin cholesterol medication (I no longer need it), stopped allergy shots, and improved my general health.

I will try a pressure of 12.2 for a couple of nights to see what happens. If I have recorded events both nights, I will try 12.4.

Last edited by Breathe Jimbo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Did your S9 log detailed flow data for the night? If so, do you spot any obvious events scanning through the traces the old fashioned way?

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:08 pm

[quote="Breathe Jimbo"]Remember that each day is from noon to noon, not midnight to midnight. You may be looking at a day -- from noon today through noon tomorrow -- that does not include any sleep yet and, therefore, does not include any data. When looking at your data, it is best to look at the period ending with yesterday's calendar date.quote]

As I understand it, a CPAP or APAP does not know to tell if you're asleep or not. So if you put it ON then any event that would be detected would also be recorded. That's also the reason that for compliance we use the term USAGE time and not SLEEP time. This also allows night- workers to use CPAPs while asleep during days times.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

AMUW

Post by AMUW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Jayjonbeach wrote:Last night is the first night my machine says everything = 0, ie AI, AHI etc.
OK, I am green with envy if you can say: full night good sleep, no events, no sleep fragmentation, great day after.
If not, then a few checks may help:
- was the SD card in the machine; if you forgot, like I do sometimes, then you've lost the detailed flow data for that period
- how about the following night: still no data?
- if you did get flow data, then what does it look like?
- have you changed any therapy settings after the night? which again deletes detailed data
- I wonder what a defect in writing or reading the SD card would be like; I keep a reserve one for backup
Moderate-severe OSA, ResMed S9 AutoSet EPR + H5i Humidifier, ResMed Masks: trying Swift FX Nasal Pillow, Mirage Nasal, Mirage Quatro or Quattro FX Full Face
ResMed SD card & USB adaptor, ResScan 3.10

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Jayjonbeach wrote:So is it normal that the software does not even how that part of the graph if you have absolutely NO events or is there possible a problem with the S9 machine?
TIA
No, It is not normal. I slept for 4 hours this afternoon with AHI of 0. The event graph was shown but was blank.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Jayjonbeach wrote:Last night is the first night my machine says everything = 0, ie AI, AHI etc.

I immediately threw the card into the laptop and on the detailed chart, events don't even show on the graph. Now I mean there are no events obviously but that section of the graph does not even show???
With what I know of how the data is recorded and displayed, I'm inclined to think that not seeing a graph would be normal if there is no data to show. I wouldn't worry about one night of 0. I think it's quite plausible. I have many nights of only 1 event, period, so I don't see why you couldn't end up with an occasional 0 night.

Jayjonbeach

Post by Jayjonbeach » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Lizistired wrote:
Jayjonbeach wrote:So is it normal that the software does not even how that part of the graph if you have absolutely NO events or is there possible a problem with the S9 machine?
TIA
No, It is not normal. I slept for 4 hours this afternoon with AHI of 0. The event graph was shown but was blank.
So this is the main question, having a zero night is one thing, but why would the graph in the software not show the event part of the graph at all?

I thought well maybe its because there are no events but that is why I wanted to post because I still thought it was odd and from your post it looks like the graph should still be showing.

Everything else is there, snore, flow limitation, pressure, etc, just no event section. Flow Limitation does look pretty good overall and could very well be the makings of a zero event night I had almost no trouble, my pressure barely changed from the minimum I have set too, I just found it odd that the Event Graph was missing completely instead of being there and being empty.

I will try it again tonight without doing anything just to see what happens. Maybe I will need to unplug/reboot the machine.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 am

Over the last my 4+ months usage of my Autoset, I have had a number of nights with no events, yet the event graph is displayed on each of those nights.

Check your SD card to see if you have an EVE.EDF file for that night. If you don't have one, that may be cause. In which case, I second the suggestion to un-plug the S9 to see if that will fix it.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 am

I've seen mind do that (no AHI graph portion at all) during ramp, but not the rest of the night. ResScan will also adjust itself to show the 8 or 10 hours of activity in the view, so AM/PM is not so much of a problem with 3.13 anyway. Are you seeing the rest of the graphs (Leak, Flow, etc.)?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 am

Jay, Did you try restarting ResScan? Mine often doesn't load right and is missing functions and I have to restart it.

Jayjonbeach

Post by Jayjonbeach » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Well last night I did not reboot machine or anything, I just wanted to see what would happen.

AHI = 1.2 for last night, and of course all things on graph are present incl events section.

For the prior night, events section is still missing.

Two people report that when they have a zero night the event part of the graph is still there (with no events showing) so I guess it was just a minor one night glitch and I'll never know for sure if it was a real zero night or not....

Thanks for all the input.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Jayjonbeach wrote:Well last night I did not reboot machine or anything, I just wanted to see what would happen.

AHI = 1.2 for last night, and of course all things on graph are present incl events section.

For the prior night, events section is still missing.

Two people report that when they have a zero night the event part of the graph is still there (with no events showing) so I guess it was just a minor one night glitch and I'll never know for sure if it was a real zero night or not....

Thanks for all the input.
You have to compare it with a 0 AHI chart for 24 hours (noon to noon).

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023