Heat in summer

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yguion

Heat in summer

Post by yguion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi, now it is summer. How many of us here still turn on the heated Humidifier? If yes, set to high or low?

thanks!

YG

Last edited by yguion on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Heat in summer

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:52 pm

I had to turn it down when sleeping without air conditioning.
That was last year; before I got the heated tubing.
I guess I'll play it by ear.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 pm

In Arizona the humdity gets real low when its hot in the summer.

My humidifier gets through 2/3 of a tank in one night. I'm not turning mine off.

Its set to AUTO

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm

When diagnosised I was running my heater about 72. That was November of last year. I ran it though the winter and when spring started I turn it to passover. Now that the AC is running again, I have it set at 65. Central AC makes is really dry in the house even though I am on the East Coast and its hot and humid as heck outside.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

yguion wrote:Hi, now it is summer. How many of us here still turn on the heated Humidifier? If yes, set to high or low?

thanks!

YG
\
This board is 'world wide'. There are some here that may be experiencing cold temps. Depending upon where you live you may or may not need the humidifier. Health also plays a part in humidity needs.

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

I live in Houston and it has been very very hot, no rain. I run my humidifier ALL the time, year round. This time of the year, I set it on 1 or 2 of 5. If not, my mouth/lips dry out too much. I am a mouth breather and wear a Full Face Mask. I keep my a/c on about 75-77.

Louise
"Any day above ground is a good one."

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

The Respironics System One humidifier, set in default mode, doesn't really heat up the water or air anyway, so it's very pleasant on hot nights. It's a cool, gentle breeze on my face or in my nose.

And I consider the exhaust from the mask to be my "personal air conditioner" I love to cool off my arms in the cool stream of air.

Mind you, I have no air conditioning, so the slightest breeze is welcome!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Janknitz wrote:The Respironics System One humidifier, set in default mode, doesn't really heat up the water or air anyway, so it's very pleasant on hot nights. It's a cool, gentle breeze on my face or in my nose.

What do you mean default mode?

Louise
"Any day above ground is a good one."

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:49 pm

On all year. I lower the humidifier during the summer.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I've used "passover" mode (water but no heat) all year round for over 6 years. I can't stand the heated humidity. I've tried it.
I even keep my supply of distilled water in the refrigerator (in smaller bottles). I live in a pretty cool climate near the mountains and the relative humidity is also very low here.

Heated humidity can make nasal congestion worse.

Den

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm

What do you mean default mode?
The PRS1's have two humidifier modes. The default mode is the one that's standard on your machine. There is also a somewhat hidden mode known as "classic mode".

The default mode supposedly adjusts for temperature and relative humidity in the room. Here in our temperate climate with moderate relative humidity, that means that the plate almost NEVER heats up or uses much water, and I have NO rainout in the hose, but on colder nights I'd have a lot of rainout in my nasal pillows. The vented air is always really cold. When I run in default mode here, it takes me about a week to use up all the water in the humidifier. But people in dry climates complain that the water is used up in less than one night, because their relative humidity is so much lower.

The classic mode works more like older models of humidifiers and heats the water more than default mode (still not that warm, but not quite as cold) and doesn't respond as much to room conditions. I used it this winter when our room (unheated at night) was cold and I didn't want an artic blast from the mask vents. It didn't really make the air warm, but it was not as frigid as when the humidifer was in default mode. I had less rainout in my nasal pillows using this mode. This also gave me a little more warmth and humidity when I had bronchitis and had to crank up the humidifier to help my cough. I used about 1/2 a tank each night in classic mode.

If you do a search for "classic mode" and respironics, it should take you to a post where it gives instructions for switching between classic and default in different firmware issues.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Depending on outside temperature, humidity, and your air conditioner settings, indoor humidity can be higher or lower during the summer than in the winter.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

TimWK

Post by TimWK » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

I keep mine at 80 deg. and my humidifier runs out of water every night.

Best Regards

sleepysmurf

Post by sleepysmurf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Ive left it on. It hasnt been a problem since Ive been diagnosed a few months ago.