newly diagnosed - my story

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
amyandtoby2011

Re: newly diagnosed - my story

Post by amyandtoby2011 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I've been reading about the Mirage Quattro, and I think tonight I'm going to try "taming it".

When my DME came out with the new mask, she left the old one, and the regular tubing with me.

I find with the climate line, my mouth is always dry. With the regular tubing, I could adjust how much humidity I had. There was the problem with rain out, but at least I didn't wake up with a desert for a face.

Is there a way to up the humidity with the climate line, and keep it as an option? I think I need more humidity than the 80% it gives me, even for my nose.

Maybe I'll just mix and match the tubing and masks, see what's a good fit or solution for me.

My sleep was really interrupted last night. This afternoon, I was so exhausted that I took a nap. I slept most of it on my back with the mask on, then later, I took it off (probably a couple hours in) and curled up on my side, which is is what I prefer. Now at least I don't feel like I'm dragging, but I don't like that I am dreaming off the mask and sleeping with less interruptions, and not dreaming/having much more interruptions with it.

Maybe I'll start a thread about the quattro? Hmm.

sleepysmurf

Post by sleepysmurf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 pm

welcome amy. You will find more information here than your DME or your doctor are willing to give .

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:05 pm

First, a very belated welcome to the forum from one highly sensitive individual to another.

You write: "Is there a way to up the humidity with the climate line, and keep it as an option? I think I need more humidity than the 80% it gives me, even for my nose."

Depending on how the DME set up your machine, you may or may not be able to get to the appropriate menu for changing the Climate Control setting from Auto to Manual. In the Manual setting for Climate Control you can set the temperature for the ClimateLine and the humidifier level separately. Talk to the DME and see if they will help you set the Climate Control to Manual and then help you get a decent starting point for the temp setting and the humidifier setting.

I am amazed at your strength in dealing with everything so well so far. And give Toby a great big pat and "good boy" from all of us here at cpaptalk.

robysue

amyandtoby2011

Post by amyandtoby2011 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Robysue,
thank you so much for your reply. I wondered if what you said was possible--manually controlling humidity and temperature. The way it was set up when they were here earlier in the week is where the temperature goes up or down by a single degree by each click of the dial, up to 85 degrees, defaulting at 80 when the machine is on. I'm guessing this means the humidity is 80%, regardless of temp, but if there was a way to make the humidity a little higher, and still control the temp, that would be nice.

The main frustration I'm having is, I'm a very computer-savvy girl, and I also love knowing how different things work--electronic and otherwise. All I need is a pair of working eyes, and I could view my data, set things in the menus if needed, and I wouldn't need someone to come do it for me. At this point I'm mostly venting, because there's really no way to fix this situation, and I can't just have someone sighted here at my beck and call (I wish sometimes!). I just want to feel more independent with my own therapy.
However, I will call the DME, see if they could send someone out who could take the time, show me how to handle temp and humidity.

Now to make sure one of the silly masks will fit on me tonight...

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:47 pm

amyandtoby2011 wrote:Robysue,
thank you so much for your reply. I wondered if what you said was possible--manually controlling humidity and temperature. The way it was set up when they were here earlier in the week is where the temperature goes up or down by a single degree by each click of the dial, up to 85 degrees, defaulting at 80 when the machine is on. I'm guessing this means the humidity is 80%, regardless of temp, but if there was a way to make the humidity a little higher, and still control the temp, that would be nice.
Sounds like they set Climate Control to Auto---that's when they let you control the temp and then the machine controls the humidity to keep it at 80%.
The main frustration I'm having is, I'm a very computer-savvy girl, and I also love knowing how different things work--electronic and otherwise. All I need is a pair of working eyes, and I could view my data, set things in the menus if needed, and I wouldn't need someone to come do it for me. At this point I'm mostly venting, because there's really no way to fix this situation, and I can't just have someone sighted here at my beck and call (I wish sometimes!). I just want to feel more independent with my own therapy.
However, I will call the DME, see if they could send someone out who could take the time, show me how to handle temp and humidity.
My heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how hard this all must be without eyes to see.

wmcanally

Post by wmcanally » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 am

Hello Amy. Welcome I am a newbie to the forum ,about 2 weeks. I have found everyone here so very helpful. I have gotten so many questions answered with people the same as me that have been there and done that. I sometime take a hour just reading post each day. Stay the course and youll be just fine. May God bless you and soon you will be adjusted just fine to wearing a mask and getting a good nights sleep.