Very big day for me!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jwerley

Very big day for me!

Post by jwerley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am

Today is the day that I take my treatment into my own hands. I have been on c-pap for 7 years and I am still struggling.......after reading myself silly on this forum for the last 2 months, I have decided that the last two docs I have had, have undertreated or mistreated my severe sleep apnea. I cannot begin to tell you just how miserable I have been feeling.

Today I pick up my new S9 Auto!! (Decided not to wait a year 1/2 for Medicare) I will be setting my own pressure.... (based on my recent sleep study) my RX'd pressure number of 9 will be my bottom number and 15 will be my high number. Before this.... my most recent doc wanted to put me on straight c-pap, which I have been on since the middle of May.....there has been some improvement, but not nearly enough.......I still have a lot of daytime sleepiness and headaches. My last doc had me on a pressure of 5-20 (auto pap) which blew my mask off every night and I was miserable. I have downloaded Sleepy Head on one computer and Rescan on another so I can monitor myself.

I am sure I will need the help of you wonderful people from time to time......as it is because of you I feel confident enough to try and make myself better rather than depending on these docs to get it right for me........and after 7 years of suffering I think I deserve giving myself a shot at it.

Is there anything that I should know when I take the machine out of the box, any tips or information that I might not know?.....as I am truly on my own at this point.....I have been reading through Rescan's Clinical Manual....it seems a bit confusing to me, but maybe that is because I don't have the machine here in front of me.

A big thank you in advance for any and all help!!

Janice

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

jen4700

Re: Very big day for me!

Post by jen4700 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 am

Way to go!!! Welcome to the Renegades!

When I went for my one-month check, machine in hand. I was braced for a fight because I had upped my pressure. Well, either they didn't notice (I doubt it) or they didn't care because neither the tech or the doc said a word. Maybe they would have if I had turned the pressure down instead of up. But I was relieved I didn't have to fight with anyone.

Good luck!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am

Make sure the machine is an S9 AutoSet, not an Escape Auto.
You deserve ALL your data!

Jordansmominjax

Post by Jordansmominjax » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Janice, I don't think I will be any help to you as yet, but I picked up my Resmed H5I S9 auto today. Today is my first day on CPAP. I am willing to exchange information with you if you would like. I am on a lower number than you. Mine is set at a 4 to start and ramps up to a 7. In the practice session today, I could not feel a difference in the pressure. The machine seemed so quite. The therpy guy told me that he wants my ramp time at 10 minutes because if I fell asleep and had it set higher than ten I would wake up and it would throw everything off. He did not use those words, but I got the impression not to set the ramp for more than 10 minutes. I hope to hear from you and or anyone else that has helpful information to share. I am wishing you a great night sleep tonight. I hope you can figure out how to make it work better for you. I am a true beliver that ultimalty WE have to find those DOC's that care about us and that open their EARS and HEAR what we say. I had a doctor almost kill me two years ago. Thankfully, I have kind, caring, Great doctors now. It has taken them two years to get me to this point where I feel like I can live to 90 now. If I can just have a day where I don't want to sleep all the times and my headaches ease down I will be in heaven. Hope to hear from you! Allison

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 am

Congrats Janice for taking charge of you own therapy. The clinicians book for your machine may be had for free at apneaboard.com, just download and you will have all the info you need to set your own...no clinician needed . I did the same thing an year and a half ago and have not looked back since. My cpap pressure was set at 11, so once I got my auto I set it at 10 to 15, I have gone up to 13.5 once but usually sit around 10.2 to 11. Godd luck to you...and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am

jwerley,

I would think with the sheer population of Los Angeles, there would be many good sleep docs from which to choose. There is a website you may want to check out as a starting point. avvo.com

-Chuck-

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Chunky Frog....Absolutly an Autoset 9...the best!!! Chuck, I have had many , many health problems over the years starting with an auto accident......I have seen way too many docs for one lifetime and one person...maybe that has something to do with it...I don't know...but at this point and (for now) with my apnea I will work with the doc I have.....I just think I know better about myself, since he spent 10 minutes with me and it was his birthday....in reality I felt he couldn't really give a @#$%$ about really helping me. I spent at least an hour filling out his substancial paperwork and he didn't even bother to look at it! Frankly he seemed disinterested....and I have found.... having worked and been on both sides of the doctor's office (I am a MA) or was...that he really could care less....unfortunalelly there are a good number of docs like that out there.... and I seem to attract them like a magnet.

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

IndyDave

Post by IndyDave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Welcome to the rebel alliance!

Sleepy Taz

Post by Sleepy Taz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Jwerley,

When starting down the road of self treatment it is important to take baby steps. Make your changes 1 at a time and log them in a journal including what works and what doesn’t. After each change give your body a chance to adapt before giving up and trying something new. If you are diligent you will be successful and in no time will enjoy going to bed.

Good luck,
Taz
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Oh Janice, I am so happy for you!! This could be the turning point you have been looking for. You've been through so much and after all this time, you will have the tools at your disposal to feel much, much better. I have no words of advice for you other than to say I'm 100% behind you and will be rooting for ya whether or not you can hear me. You rock girl!!

Hugs,
Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Kody

Post by Kody » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Janice good luck with your therapy, I don't blame you a bit. Sounds like we have some of the same Dr.'s, as mine either don't care, or are completely incompetent. This situation with the Dr.'s unfortunately seems to be fairly common, at least that is what I ran into. As Taz mentioned take baby steps, track your data, keep a journal and don't hesitate to ask for help here, these guys are a great resource, and the best I've discovered since being diagnosed, best of luck to you.
Complex Sleep Apnea

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Good luck and please keep us updated!

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Thank you all for your very kind comments!! I will definately keep you posted.
Thanks Suz!
Janice

Kahlil Gibran

jlklinko

Post by jlklinko » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi there
1) Glad to hear you are getting an S9 autoset!
2) You won't believe how quiet it is!
3) Congratulations on taking your own health into your hands and helping yourself- being a fighter!!
4) Keep us updated on your progress!

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 am

Thinking about you, Janice, and hoping your first night went well!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle