chin straps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yeti

chin straps

Post by yeti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:32 pm

any advice on which chin straps work? the one from resmed given to me by my DME is a really bad fit and besides not working its really uncomfortable

thanks

sleepysmurf

Re: chin straps

Post by sleepysmurf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:36 pm

I looked at the machine that you posted and I would like to suggest the Optilife make from Respironics. My DME sent this to me and it came with a chinstrap already. It doesnt make you feel claustrophobic or anything(or at least I dont feel that way ) Hope this helps.

Lapidea

Post by Lapidea » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:57 am

Request a chin strap which has a halo. They are built to stay on more securely than the long rectangle design of old.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:37 am

The strap on the optilife that goes under the chin is not a chin strap it is just to help stabilize the mask. You are not supposed to tighten this strap too much.
If you are using a chin strap for mouth breathing/leaking reasons - keep in mind they don't work well for some of us. It will help keep your jaw pulled up and may help with mouth breathing. For me it just caused my lips to flutter as the air escaped. Like the mask it is a very idividual thing and what works for one may not work for you. You need to search chinstraps and look at the designs to see if you think one might be right for you, then try it and see how you do.

Brenda

dogluvr

Post by dogluvr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:01 am

I'm trying a respironics premium chin strap (that's the only name on it) and it works some nights but sometimes tends to slip some. It's the only one my DME had so maybe I'll do some homework and request another. Although for me, I generally re-position it and it's alright, and my leak rate is still very good and I no longer wake up with the dry mouth, so It must be working.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:23 am

Yeti,

I also am using the Respironics Premium Chin strap like dogluvr and I find it very comfortable and functional. As a severe mouth breather while sleeping (I never sawed logs, I decimated entire forests) I knew it would not be an option for me to not use one. I find it works best for me to put the chin strap on first and then my mask and head gear. This seems for me to keep the chin strap from shifting/moving while I sleep. I luckily don’t get a flutter from my lips because if I open my mouth I get a sensation of the Therapy gushing out of my mouth and it feels very weird! I also do what JointPain has suggested in some of the other threads (like in Dry Mouth) and keep the tip of my tongue pressed lightly against the back of my teeth. All together it is all work like a charm for me against mouth breathing!

Good luck

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

dogluvr

Post by dogluvr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I might add, like John, I find the Respironics chin strap to be comfortable though. Even when I have noticed that it has slipped, it's just changed in position somewhat. I might do what John suggested and put it on first.

Clare74

Post by Clare74 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:54 pm

The chin strap didnt work for me My mouth still opened in my sleep and I ended up wearing the chin strap over my mouth! Have resorted to taping my mouth closed which has been very successfull the last few nights. I now find I'm breathing much more through my nose throughout the day and hopefully wont have to tape my mouth for much longer.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Clare74,

For some reason I found it amusing that your chin strap ended up covering your mouth. Almost like it recognized the problem and was doing everything it could to fulfill its mission! I totally agree with taping if you need it and I would do it if my chin strap wasn't working so well. I know there is a lot of back and forth about it here at this forum: viewtopic/t70303/Taping.html , but there is always some sort of risk in everything we do. For me the bottom line is our bodies desperately need good, restorative sleep and normal O2 sat levels. Most of us have gone many years with neither of these and have pushed our bodies to the brink. Now that we know what is wrong and what to do, whatever can supply that or help it to come about, is what has to be done. Period.

My wife has also observed that since I have been doing treatment and using a chin strap that I am keeping my mouth closed more and breathing through my nose during the day, just like you have noticed from doing taping. Possibly it is possible to retrain our bodies to breathe through our noses again, like we were originally intended to do before our OSA and related symptoms.

Wishing you continued success!

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:33 pm

papcap from pur-sleep.com, comes with 14 day refund policy. works well for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I found the DME's default chinstrap (Resmed's Sullivan) was practically useless;
as it would not stay on top of my head--sliding either forward or backward.
I split the ends of the strap down to about an inch above my ears,
making two super skinny straps out of one 3/4" strap,
(imagine the side view--turning an I into a Y)
This chin strap stays on and is about as minimal a strap that still works.