Best cleaning solution for the silicone cushion on the mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chuck Connors

Best cleaning solution for the silicone cushion on the mask?

Post by Chuck Connors » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm curious what the experienced CPAP users have used as a cleaning solution for the silicon cushion on the mask. Also, how long does the silicon cushion last for you? Thanks for any input. -Chuck-

sol

Re: Best cleaning solution for the silicone cushion on the mask?

Post by sol » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Chuck Connors wrote:I'm curious what the experienced CPAP users have used as a cleaning solution for the silicon cushion on the mask. Also, how long does the silicon cushion last for you? Thanks for any input. -Chuck-
I don,t have much exp but I wash my mask in the shower each morning and normally the cushion can last up to 6 month.
If you,re insured might be able to get two cushions replacement per month.

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I switched mask cushions about two months ago. I clean my mask with dishwashing liquid once a week, and I use a mask wipe twice a week. Some people recommend using the mask wipe daily, but I find that unnecessary.

I boiled my mask cushion with baking soda about a month ago, which is helpful both for removing oils and for reducing mask leaks. I think I need to boil it again soon since leaks are becoming troublesome. Search the board for instructions. Others have reported that it can be boiled three or four times before replacement becomes necessary.

Wonderbeastlett

Post by Wonderbeastlett » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I've been washing my mask every morning with a scentless mild baby wash. I was told not to use any dish soaps or cleaners because they break down silicone. Im not exactly sure about the mask cushion since i've only had mine for 3 weeks. I'd also like to know the general lifespan of a mask cushion and how to revive it since I have no insurance!

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 pm

I been using mask wipes and baby wipes for more than a year. But not more. The baby wipes have soften my Mirage Softgell nasal masks cushions after 3 weeks. So I had to replace with a new cushion. I am looking for a solution. Probably warm water and a few drops of baby shampoo.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:09 pm

My brother cleans his profile lite gel nasal mask with Everclear once a month.
The masks last a year for him.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 pm

I now wash my Quattro FX silicon seal with Pantene Fine Hair Shampoo, the clear stuff, each AM. That works really well. For a while I washed it in dishwashing soap (Dawn, which the DME said was a no-no) but it would get cloudy. The cloudiness could only be removed by boiling it in water with baking soda, but then would start getting cloudy again soon. Then I tried Dial hand soap. Same. Cloudy. Then I tried the Pantene shampoo... the seal gets clean and it was obvious to me that the cloudiness was much less. I still, from time to time, boil it in water with baking soda, but not as often as I did with the other soaps.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 am

I disassemble my ComfortGel Blue once a week and wash the parts, including the cushion and flap in the dishwasher. I have two masks and let it sit disassembled and dry until the next wash cycle. I'm getting a year or more on the mask parts, which sort of amounts to 6 months lifetime since it only gets used half the time.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Data

Post by Data » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 am

I just wash my cushion in tap water once a week, and I find thats ok.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:06 am

in my vast experience (65 days), I've been using a few drops of baby shampoo once a week and the scentless cpap wipes every day. The ritual now is to wipe the mask and then my dogs ears win-win

Be careful with baby wipes, most have aloe a no no IMHO.
-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 am

I got 4 months out of my 1st Mirage Quattro cushion by dunking it in Hydracide / Control III (same chemical, but one's tinted blue) for 6-8 hours. I'm on a Liberty now and it gets a dunk every other day and a wipedown with the Citrus wipes the rest of the time.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:05 pm

I use Pear Soap on my nasal pillows, and not often as I have normal to dry skin.

-tim

Post by -tim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 pm

The vendors recommend just soap and water and not soaking them for more than about 10 minutes.

I've been washing scuba masks with Palmolive and water for decades with no problems but they are a thicker material.

I alternate between two masks. They get washed in the kitchen sink every day and then air dry. The humidifier tank gets cleaned at the same time unless I'm using distilled or demineralized water in which case it happens about once a week. I used to use tap water and wash it daily until one of the clips broke.

About once a week the mask gets washed with soap and water and the put in the vinegar and shaken and then soaked (while I wash the other mask). It then gets rinsed and washed and then soaked in soapy water for many hours. I have a few plastic containers and one is full of white vinegar. I use F&P zest headgear with my resmed mask and that gets thrown in laundry with the sheets. I have a light dust mite cover that looks like a fitted sheet and dust mite pillow covers that dry very quickly in the dryer and they go in with just them for a few minutes after being washed so they don't get too hot.

I tend to run water through the hose most days. I've soaked it in soapy water once but its a pain getting water in all of the hose

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I wipe my mask down every morning using Pampers Thick Wipes for Sensitive Skin. You can also use the generic brand. Be sure the baby wipes have no alcohol or aloe. Alcohol will damage the mask plastic and aloe will leave a film. I also wash my mask every weekend with a toothbrush and baby shampoo. I then soak the mask in a plastic tub or a few hours in baby shampoo and water solution. I then rinse the mask very well. If I don’t the baby scent will upset my tummy. Look up your mask on line from the manufacturer. They will provide recommendations. Be careful with using vinegar. My mask-maker says don’t use it because it will deteriorate the mask silicone. That being said, I don’t think a little vinegar will hurt. My cushions are not removable. I get a new mask every three months, but I can go probably four months on a mask.

Sheriff

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Remember that if you're "too rough" on your mask, you can buy a new mask or cushions. Figure out something that gets it clean enough, and evaluate whether it wears out your mask to quickly. Realize masks do need to be replaced occasionally.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.